Question "Audiophile" headphones for gaming and music

Hello!
I am looking to get some new headphones for my PC with gaming and music in mind for the most part. I am looking at headphones and not headsets since i allready have a pair of Sennheiser GSP 550 for Multiplyer gaming. I currently allso have a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550-II for phone listening. What i want now is a pair of wired headphones that i can use with my DAC.

I have looked at Beyerdynamic DT 900 but i am a bit confused wich one of 900pro X and 990 are the best for my needs? AND i have allso read that some reviewers take note of the 900 series has a "strange" sound profile so that makes me hesitant on the DT900 and 990.

Sugestions on similar and good headphones in the same pricerange? I like Sennheiser but i would preferable get something different this time though sugestions on Sennheisers are ofc wellcome aswell.

I have PXC 550 myself, i use them for most things I need headset for but I get wanting better.

I have suggested someone answer this but I can't say if they will or not. They aren't a member right now.

Not earbuds I assume as you have a ANC headset already

I am not going to attempt an answer :)
Earbuds in my experience never come close to the same sound quallity as headphones. But i do have a pair of.. samsung majiggers i got with my old old galaxy watch ages ago, good for gym sessions :)

ear buds that come with phones can't be compared to ones made to be sold alone... I mean, from companies like Edifier and Sennheiser anyway. Or something like https://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-C5B-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005GSVN48?th=1 (I have those as well, from before I went wireless). I used earbuds for a long time until I got the PXC550 (1st gen)

But yes, they not as good as over ear (open or closed back).

Also, I don't like idea of wireless earbuds. Lose one and then what you got? Harder to misplace a pair of over ear as easily.

ear buds that come with phones can't be compared to ones made to be sold alone... I mean, from companies like Edifier and Sennheiser anyway. Or something like https://www.amazon.com/Bowers-Wilkins-C5B-Ear-Headphones/dp/B005GSVN48?th=1 (I have those as well, from before I went wireless). I used earbuds for a long time until I got the PXC550 (1st gen)

But yes, they not as good as over ear (open or closed back).

Also, I don't like idea of wireless earbuds. Lose one and then what you got? Harder to misplace a pair of over ear as easily.
those i have are not the come with phones usually, its the galaxy buds but i get your point, they are actually not bad for what they are though.

I have narrowed it down to look at Beyer Dynamics dt's, Sennheiser HD 500 series and Someone sugested KRK systems but i would have to read upp more on those.

It pains me to not be helpful here, as I love music and trying out headphones. I've bought about a dozen headphones in the last few years. Unfortunately, none of them were Beyerdynamics (they are on the list, though), so I can't really help to compare those to other headphones. The Bang & Olufsen I have in that price range are remarkable, but have been discontinued. Those are the only ones I would feel comfortable recommending against headphones I hadn't tried.

If you are ever in the market for some very good sounding earbuds (unfortunately, I also have an earbud fetish), try the KZ AS16. To be clear, I'm not recommending these over good headphones, but I haven't found any earbuds that beat them at anywhere near their price. Sound reproduction is as good as any sub-$200 headphone I've tried, but obviously they don't create that soundstage that you get with good headphones.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Oh, I haven't tried KRK headphones, either. They do make brilliant speakers, though. I've heard the RP5 before, and they were stunning.

Edit to say that my coder brother is an audiophile who thinks the same thing about headphones that headphone users think about earbuds. He's the one with the speakers. My speakers are Edifiers.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I have suggested someone answer this but I can't say if they will or not. They aren't a member right now.
Actually I am still a member here I just hardly ever posted on this forum. I only left the 3 sites I was a mod on. :)

I've owned a bunch of headphones over the last 10-12 years. Under $200 for an 'audiophile' headphone the Sennheiser HD560S is really hard to beat. Also for a more 'fun', less audiophile tuning the Sennheiser HD599/599SE ( same headphone., the SE is just an Amazon exclusive ) is also worth considering. Don't pay more than $150 for it though and ideally more like $125.

If you can step up the budget a bit or are comfortable buying used the HiFiMan Sundara at around $300 new is the best headphone under $500.

Oh, I haven't tried KRK headphones, either. They do make brilliant speakers, though. I've heard the RP5 before, and they were stunning.

Edit to say that my coder brother is an audiophile who thinks the same thing about headphones that headphone users think about earbuds. He's the one with the speakers. My speakers are Edifiers.

Actually I am still a member here I just hardly ever posted on this forum. I only left the 3 sites I was a mod on. :)

I've owned a bunch of headphones over the last 10-12 years. Under $200 for an 'audiophile' headphone the Sennheiser HD560S is really hard to beat. Also for a more 'fun', less audiophile tuning the Sennheiser HD599/599SE ( same headphone., the SE is just an Amazon exclusive ) is also worth considering. Don't pay more than $150 for it though and ideally more like $125.

If you can step up the budget a bit or are comfortable buying used the HiFiMan Sundara at around $300 new is the best headphone under $500.
Will look at the 560s too then. They are just a tad bit more expencive over here than the 599s.

I think you just have to make a few choices and if possible try a few on. So I usually go closed back for wired but you'll have to compare driver sizes and sensitivity, etc, etc. Depends on your environment.

Quality of build is also imortant so probably reputable company.

I've got some Audio Technica (ATH-A550Z) for wired, but I like these Fairbud XL bluetooth. Again pesonal choice but comfortable and sound great.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
I had a pair of DT 1990 Pros for several years. I liked them but found the bright treble too fatiguing for all day use and they're generally considered to have the 'best' treble of the Beyer line. The high clamp force was also a drawback. It wasn't like a Sennheiser 6 series that you can bend and fix in 5 seconds. They were still too clampy when I sold them.

I haven't heard the 900 Pro to compare though so they may have fixed that famous Beyer treble peak in the newer models. The 560S is built on the Sennheiser 5 frame and you can wear them all day and forget they're on your head. Lite and perfect clamp force.

I think most people would pick the 560S both in terms of sound and all day wearable comfort for the 'best' budget true audiophile headphone but all that really matters is if you like the 900Pro.

I had a pair of DT 1990 Pros for several years. I liked them but found the bright treble too fatiguing for all day use and they're generally considered to have the 'best' treble of the Beyer line. The high clamp force was also a drawback. It wasn't like a Sennheiser 6 series that you can bend and fix in 5 seconds. They were still too clampy when I sold them.

I haven't heard the 900 Pro to compare though so they may have fixed that famous Beyer treble peak in the newer models. The 560S is built on the Sennheiser 5 frame and you can wear them all day and forget they're on your head. Lite and perfect clamp force.

I think most people would pick the 560S both in terms of sound and all day wearable comfort for the 'best' budget true audiophile headphone but all that really matters is if you like the 900Pro.
Been testing them now, I usually only run Direct mode through my DAC to get the most "how the artist wahts it" sound. I found the treble to be a bit surpricing at first but but i can't say that i find them to be even close to fatiguing but i think the DT1990s have compleetly different drivers compared to the DT900 and i have heard (no pun intended) they these 2 headphones behave quite differently. When it comes to clamping i can say that dt900 are the "clampiest" headphones i have at the moment but even with glasses i can use them for houers on end with out an issue, however this part would be so dependent on ones head, ear shape etc that it hard to tell wihtout tying them if you like them or not.

I did some long session listening to Atrium Carceri (Dark ambient for those who don't know) and these headphones makes the music super immersive.

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
Yeah the 1990s have different drivers but Beyerdynamic's 'house sound' ( tuning ) leans bright across all their models. Again technicalities don't matter. All that matters is that you like them. :)

I have previously owned the Sennheiser HD598, HD600, HD650 and HD660S.
Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro.
AKG K712 Pro.
Massdrop x Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany and TH-X00 Ebony.
Fostex T50RP - was going to get sent to Modhouse audio and turned into a Argon MK III but Covid happened and after about a year of Modhouse being out of parts I gave up and sold them.
Philips Fidelio X2HR
Monoprice M1060
HiFiMan Sundara
Focal Elear

I currently have: A HiFiMan Ananda and Arya Stealth and a Focal Clear. Driven by a Topping L70 amp through an SMSL SU9 DAC.

I'll probably still sell the Ananda. It doesn't get used since I bought the Arya. The Arya and the Clear are my endgame. Maybe at some point I'd like to try something from ZMF but I'm 100% happy with what I have now so maybe not.

The headphone rabbit hole is deep if you let it be!

Last edited:
HY I have one problem my posts are not share here but why anyone help me ?
maybe one of these reasons:

TRENDING THREADS