August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 9 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I don't understand modders who won't come back after a game is finalized and fix their mods one more time so that they can be used in the final game. It's lazy and, frankly, inconsiderate.

With how long it takes for some games to be finalised I can't really blame them.

Also, I've seen so many people on reddit and two on here who are looking for a city builder (like Cities Skylines, not Rimworld) that can be played in creative mode, yet none of the games offer it.

What does creative mode mean for Cities Skylines? Because it does give you the option to play with unlimited money.

I have been thinking about the next monthly game challenge for September. I got access to custom games in PUBG (the game is free to play), so if people are interested we could have a PUBG tournament. If so we could do something like this:

1. We compete on intense battle royale which is a much smaller map and with less people than on your normal BR maps. We could have several matches over a month with a winner and losers bracket and final top players competing for the victory.

The rules would be simple for this tournament: Points for each kill and points for placement over maybe 6 BR matches before dividing the players into winner and loser brackets. Both brackets have to compete for the final winning bracket further down the lane where only one winner will stand alone as the "winner, winner chicken dinner", including either a game prize or an honorable title under your name or maybe both.

How do people feel about something like this? Feel free to come up with other suggestions, the only thing important is that the game must be free so anyone can join.

Last edited:
How do people feel about something like this? Feel free to come up with other suggestions, the only thing important is that the game must be free so anyone can join.
I personally would enjoy this more than the currently monthly challenge, just because I’m a lot better at shooters than retro top-down racers :ROFLMAO:

Are the custom matches player vs AI? That would help make the challenge easier, perhaps more fair for everyone. Instead of playing against tryhard sweats, if there are bots with difficulty options, we can all set the difficulty to the same level so it’s a more even playing field.

I probably went over board. I tend to do that... I didn't really need to spend as much as I did but wireless was necessary. Many of its features really aren't used.

And it doesn't have Hall Effect joysticks so it will eventually get stick drift

Maybe, or die of old age. As I don't really use it often. Lives in top drawer, just so its safe.

I don't have kids around destroying things so I can spend more on toys for me. Many of the things I have bought this year aren't essential.

I have yet to experience drift on anything. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but it seems hugely overblown.

I have two PSPs, no issues, 10+ year old Vita, N3DS, no issues, a 15+ year old Xbox 360 controller, 4 more 10+ year 360 Controllers and on and on and have never experienced drift. The controllers are/were used daily, by multiple people including kids.

I still spend probably too much money on toys for myself, I just go cheap these days...

I personally would enjoy this more than the currently monthly challenge, just because I’m a lot better at shooters than retro top-down racers :ROFLMAO:
I'm in the same ballpark there :grin:
Are the custom matches player vs AI? That would help make the challenge easier, perhaps more fair for everyone. Instead of playing against tryhard sweats, if there are bots with difficulty options, we can all set the difficulty to the same level so it’s a more even playing field.
There are some custom matches that you can do with AI, but I'm not sure what options you have and if you can do it through the mini BRs, but I'll look into that.

One way we could also go about it is to have more winners, so we could have a 1st, 2nd, and third place or we could have two winners, one from the winning bracket and one from the losing bracket and just remove the final bracket to make it more fair. Both could get an honorable title under their name and we could make it so the winner/loser title is slightly different in color or something like that.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Watching him play "Asteroids" reminds me I'd like to have all the old arcade games outside of the Atari console versions you can already get.
Atari console wasn't too bad, but the arcade was sooooo shiny! Those shots glowed BRIGHT! It would be nice to have that, and Joust, and Xevious, and Star Wars, and Marble Madness, and Phoenix (my first ever boss fight?).

Black Myth Wukong has a free benchmark on Steam

KOCGs1R.jpeg

It doesn't appear to support RT on AMD cards.
It does run rt on AMD and I watch over half my FPS disappear
2dNkgUM.jpeg

It didn't add that much to game that I would miss it. Could be the low RT I was on too.
Wouldn't let me take a screenshot so photo only choice.
On this page:

Last edited:
FF14 looks hard to run, but then MMO aren't really designed to push GPU
80wBYjC.jpeg

It might be flashier but it doesn't look that much different to how it looked on PS3 (I am wrong but memory is a tricky thing)

I liked Tropico 4, no idea why I have only played 5 hours of Tropico 5. Must have been first day I got it too... so almost a completely different PC played it then.

Might try to play it tomorrow.

this looks like fun but I really should play Tropico instead of looking at other games

This looks quite cool and I definitely want to check it out.

I actually haven't played a Tropico game since the original demo, really. I bought it on disk and played it some, but mostly played the demo back in the day and have very fond memories, but never touched any of the sequels.

FF14 looks hard to run, but then MMO aren't really designed to push GPU
80wBYjC.jpeg

It might be flashier but it doesn't look that much different to how it looked on PS3 (I am wrong but memory is a tricky thing)

I liked Tropico 4, no idea why I have only played 5 hours of Tropico 5. Must have been first day I got it too... so almost a completely different PC played it then.

Might try to play it tomorrow.

I recall FFXIV being pretty easy to run on whatever hardware I was using, but that was pre their most recent graphical update.

That said, I find FFXIV a little..lackluster, as an MMO fan. I know it gets a lot of praise and I won't make a big complaint post about my issues with it, as I seem to be one of the few people who does have issues with it.

Square just didn't give up. Its been around for 14 years but they did re release it once, as it was bad. They learned from that... I didn't want to get trapped in another MMO when I played it so I didn't play long. It didn't help I was in a US Playstation clan and never many of them online due to different hours. So I probably got bored and/or stuck needing to do some dungeon.
It was over 10 years ago now, I know game got more attention a few years ago.

@BeardyHat I had drift on my last controller, the Hyperkin Duke. Contacted them and they gave me the steps to take to download new drivers which fixed it.

@Pifanjr Creative means full control, putting exactly what you want where you want it. There are mods for Cities Skylines that help you do something similar, but it's not a true creative in the way I mean it.

@Brian Boru this contest is coming a month late. In August I could have found us a teammate who would have given us a fighting chance. But he won't play anything during the school year. He has a friend on the school's Esports team who has begged him to join the team, and he simply won't do it. I have played with him nearly every day this summer, but starting next week the best I can hope for is a call once a week. My children got the best parts of their mother (everything) and father (nothing),

@Frindis I'll sit this one out if you don't mind. You don't want to have a decorating contest instead :)

Mods @Brian Boru @Frindis @Colif @Kaamos_Llama and others. Who was working with @ElvenNeko ? He says he no longer has permission to post on the site, but when I pull him up it looks like he has become a registered developer. Maybe the permissions are mixed up?

Last edited:
Mods @Brian Boru @Frindis @Colif @Kaamos_Llama and others. Who was working with @ElvenNeko ? He says he no longer has permission to post on the site, but when I pull him up it looks like he has become a registered developer. Maybe the permissions are mixed up?
we look into it

People who need to fix it are above our pay grade (admin)

@Frindis I'll sit this one out if you don't mind. You don't want to have a decorating contest instead :)
It does not have to be PUBG though, so feel free to come up with an idea for a FTP game that we could play and that you wouldn't mind joining in on as a competition. It would have been cool to have as many as possible to join for a competition, so having a few options to choose from would be nice. I even started thinking about something completely different also, something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181790/Circle_of_Sumo_Online_Rumble/, so the sky is the limit :grin:

I'll sit this one out if you don't mind

you wouldn't mind joining in on as a competition

@Frindis Oops sorry, didn't realize thought of coming up against me would scare 'im off. I don't mind being a first-round loser in the Winners' bracket, if that helps.

he won't play anything during the school year

WHAAAT??? There's sth seriously wrong with that kid, starting with priorities. Maybe he didn't get as much of his mother as you hoped, poor guy.

something completely different

Damn, after all my conscientious work to lose the belly…

It does not have to be PUBG though, so feel free to come up with an idea for a FTP game that we could play and that you wouldn't mind joining in on as a competition. It would have been cool to have as many as possible to join for a competition, so having a few options to choose from would be nice. I even started thinking about something completely different also, something like https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181790/Circle_of_Sumo_Online_Rumble/, so the sky is the limit :grin:
Don't change because of me. I'm anti-competitive. It's not that I'm terrible. I soloed most of Remnant 2, which is known as a very difficult shooter. I just don't like competing anymore. I won't even play competitive games when my kids invite me. I won't play poker anymore, and I'm damn good at that. I just don't do competitive. The only exception in recent years was Forza, but I've stopped that too.

I would be more than happy to participate in some other way, like editing video of the contest and adding my sarcastic commentary (mostly about Brian).

I absolutely have to stop reading user reviews for games that I like. First of all, the trend in user reviews is going downward. People are being irrationally critical more often. Second of all, people are absolute Fu*******s. I just read one review saying Remnant 2 used AI art. I've never wanted to punch a reviewer so badly. There needs to be a way of flagging reviews as factually incorrect.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is people calling finished games 'abandoned'. People, if it's not a live service game and it's complete, the average dev team is going to stop updating the game and move on to something else.

Last edited:
I don't read any reviews for games, I restrict self to watching videos. That is one way to maintain some sanity and not read something that the author thought was important about what they had for lunch that day.

Another thing that is driving me crazy is people calling finished games 'abandoned'.
There is a term for these people: Idiots.

How brain dead do you need to be to think that a complete game is abandoned. How backwards is this world that people are so accepting of games being buggy messes at launch and that need constant attention to function (am I talking about the game or the people?) that if a game isn't getting any, it should be ignored.

Talk about trained to accept failure. Show me a list of games that are released finished and I might be interested. Its an ever shrinking list - I doubt any AAA games been on it for 10 years or so... why when you can patch game after. It would have to be indie games for most part and even they can patch games now.

Some of the best games are finished now... they have been for years. People still play them... if idiots refuse to play things that aren't getting constant DLC... oh well, their loss.

Being driven crazy by idiots is just life... you can't beat them, as they will just create more powerful idiots. Its why making things idiot proof just allows more to breed. Its our fault for trying to stop Darwin Awards. Lawyers profiting off idiots is why we get Obvious warning labels now.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts