August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 13 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
One month hardly worth it, its more a trap. Its designed to make you forget and get charged the next month. They always want payment details up front, you can't as such add them when you ready to actually subscribe.
Three months would have been worthwhile.

An achievement is getting to 80 in an expansion first
Proving you have no life is doing it 17 times before others even start it:

Is there nothing Blizzard won't try to sell people? early access to an expansion. Whats next? Early access to DLC? Oh crap, I am giving them ideas.

Last edited:
For some people, very much so! There are plenty of people out there for whom the video game is secondary to the social interaction. Unless they have or can make friends to enjoy the game with, they will not have fun for very long.

My wife plays a lot of games primarily for the social interaction, like WoW, Fortnite and Diablo IV, among a bunch of other games she only started playing because her friends were playing them. And I don't think she ever plays those games by herself, so I don't think she plays them because she enjoys the gameplay that much.

Which isn't to say she can only enjoy games with other people. When no one else is online, she just plays something like Rimworld, Civilization or Sunless Sea.

Went to the Strong Museum (museum of play) over the weekend and i say, for anyone that plays video games, really aught to take a trip here, whether you have kids or not tbh.

They have an arcade, a pinball arcade and a lot of gaming history. There is also a good amount of old toys and games from over the last 100-150 years or so. There is a huge Age of Empires section along with old PCs and games (in their original unopened boxes including Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and Sim City.

There are also tons of activities for kids both physical and educating, with an outdoor park.

old consoles, prototypes, even 5-6 of the ET games from that trash pile that was excavated back in 2014, with a playable version of the game next to it.

It is a big ball of screamin kids, but its worth everyone here to check out if you ever get the chance.

As for gaming...still grinding Diablo 4 with some Helldivers and Destiny 2 in there though very little due to a busy week. Started playing a game called Atlas Fallen. Its ok but is gonna fall by the wayside. Its not terrible, just not really capturing me.

Last edited:
Every day for the last week, starting somewhere around 5 in the evening, my computer has started bogging down. I've just been rebooting. But today I pulled up Task Manager and found a Windows process called VmmemWSA chugging away and using 2 GB of RAM.

I looked up what that was, and it is basically Window's Android emulator, and it's been known to go crazy and use lots of system resources even if you aren't using it (or in my case, I'd never used it at all). Great work, Microsoft.

Uninstalled it and am back to normal.

Every day for the last week, starting somewhere around 5 in the evening, my computer has started bogging down. I've just been rebooting. But today I pulled up Task Manager and found a Windows process called VmmemWSA chugging away and using 2 GB of RAM.

I looked up what that was, and it is basically Window's Android emulator, and it's been known to go crazy and use lots of system resources even if you aren't using it (or in my case, I'd never used it at all). Great work, Microsoft.

Uninstalled it and am back to normal.
Thought they were intending to remove that completely sometime soon?

I had almost no time over the weekend to play anything, but I would like to get back to Hitman. I did play Hardspace: Shipbreaker for about a half hour or so, which was nice to get back into, so hopefully there's some renewed interest in that for me, as I'd like to finish it.

I also picked up The Colonel's Bequest on GoG today, as it was like $4. I did fire it up and I intend to play it a little bit more, but I have no idea if I'll continue to play such an old game right now.

if you weren't running it, its possible something else on PC was calling it.
Its possible you get other errors since you removed the Windows process.

If you have any problems, try a clean boot
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

It doesn’t delete anything, it just stops non Microsoft programs running with start. Easy to reverse.

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

seems they are removing it, though its likely to happen in 24H2

not sure I ever used it, I did use this once

The two sides of the Wukong debate haven't taken one thing into account. They are irrelevant.

95% of the Steam reviews for this game are in Simplified Chinese. This games success has nothing to do with the west. It will happen regardless as there are just more people in Asia who grew with this story. It is popular throughout the region. Its hard to beat a story that is over 400 years old. Really, what stories do we have that could match it?

The sales here are just extras. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sell to us as we aren't the audience. That might take a while for some to realize but you aren't the center of the universe.

The two sides of the Wukong debate haven't taken one thing into account. They are irrelevant.

95% of the Steam reviews for this game are in Simplified Chinese. This games success has nothing to do with the west. It will happen regardless as there are just more people in Asia who grew with this story. It is popular throughout the region. Its hard to beat a story that is over 400 years old. Really, what stories do we have that could match it?

The sales here are just extras. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sell to us as we aren't the audience. That might take a while for some to realize but you aren't the center of the universe.
I didn't actually delete the Windows process. Sorry, I posted carelessly. I deleted the Amazon Android store app that was using the process

I haven't read JtoW, so I don't know what would be comparable, but Homer wrote the story of Troy a few thousand years ago. In English, the Canterbury Tales was written a couple hundred years before JtoW, and I doubt any literary critic would say it beats the works of Shakespeare from the same time. Shakespeare is considered the greatest writer in any language by most literary folks I know.

Honestly I haven't been paying attention to anything but PCG, and they really like the game, so I haven't seen any arguing. The overwhelming majority of English Steam reviews are positive, so I'd say westerners like the game.

Last edited:
what stories do we have that could match it?

Modern superhero stories?
Mythic stories about any older god(s) you want—Norse are fashionable these days, but Roman, Greek, Egyptian and thousands more.

On a less fictional superhero level, Homer's tales, Beowulf, Táin Bó Cúailnge, Rubaiyat, Camelot etc etc.

I agree, this is an Asian game—we have lots of similar here.

None of those stories will attract the same attention. None will get as many people to go buy the game and play it. We don't have many under exploited stories that don't have games about them now.
I don't know if there are many in China that will replicate it.
Well China's a unique situation, except maybe for India. They have a huge population that is overwhelmed with national pride. I'm not really sure what is special about Journey to the West except that it's old.

Has anyone noticed a shift at PCG regarding X? I don't read half the articles I used to, so I could be wrong here, but they used to slam X pretty regularly. Now they just say "X 'the everything app'". Seems like maybe they signed some deal with X.

I'm not being critical, just curious. They have to make money like everyone else.

Has anyone noticed a shift at PCG regarding X? I don't read half the articles I used to, so I could be wrong here, but they used to slam X pretty regularly. Now they just say "X 'the everything app'". Seems like maybe they signed some deal with X.

I'm not being critical, just curious. They have to make money like everyone else.
When you arguing against the worlds richest man, there is only so long before you just accept it and move on. You not going to win.

I don't know anymore than you do about any deals. I doubt there is one.

AAA companies should have to achieve something per year to keep that rating. One good game a year... is that too much to ask?
Its a club and you need to prove you worthy of being in it.Amazing games 10 years ago just shows that in the past, some people in your company used to be able to make good games. Its shouldn't be an eternal rating.

It seems to me that a lot of them got it years ago and now very few actually release games that should get rating. Instead, any game they release gets the rating automatically, and most times, it is no better than Indie stuff. Some really bad games are rated AAA. Looks at recent weeks.

We may not see it as meaning anything but lots of people think it means their games are better. They get more attention from media whenever they so much as sneeze.
Feels like a marketing scam to me.

Just because you big, it doesn't make you special. Or better.

When you arguing against the worlds richest man, there is only so long before you just accept it and move on. You not going to win.

I think that's the crux. We all know Doofus McGee owns X/Twitter and the associated meltdowns, affiliations, etc, it's impossible to avoid. At some point, we just choose to move on and stop bothering with the petty stuff.

I've played Hardspace: Shipbreaker for over 32-hours now, having just come back to it this week and adding an additional 30-minutes so far. The thing I struggle with in the game is getting over the...penalties? of the game. I'm constantly messing stuff up, exploding bits of ship and ultimately losing a bit of money off the top because I worked inefficiently. This will probably never change, as it's just my nature in games, as in life. But I can't help but really feel that penalty when I see the red line of earnings I will never get back and have found myself restarting entire day's because I vow to not screw it up next time, even though I will anyway.

The thing is, money in this game is an illusion and the pittance you earn is a story device against the debt you owe and the daily fees you rake in. But it has this tendency to drive me off the game, because I feel like I'm being terribly inefficient, but I'm struggling to get better.

Anyway, at this point, I'm just avoiding the real life stuff I have to do today. There's that inefficiency cropping up again...

Wow. Just saw this which is releasing in 2 days

Their last game was very good. One interesting thing about this is that they just announced the launch date last week. Sounds like they waited until they were done, which is a great way to do it.

This reminds me of the early NFS games. Let you know about that comparison after I play it later this week.

Will definitely have to claim this eventually. Hopefully it can wait until Sept 10th when my current subscription goes out.

While kind of inconvenient, you can turn off recurring billing so you don’t auto renew. When signing up for GP you need to link your card to your MS account. The move is to go through all the steps to activate the subscription, then go into Microsoft account settings, turn off recurring billing and remove your card off the account. I do this every time I redeem a GP code.

EDIT: promotion ends 9/5, might have to have 5 days overlapping just so I can extend it haha. May be worth it since Age of Mythology Retold comes out on GP 9/4, would love to check that game out but don’t want to buy just yet.

I don't know anymore than you do about any deals. I doubt there is one.

AAA companies should have to achieve something per year to keep that rating. One good game a year... is that too much to ask?
Its a club and you need to prove you worthy of being in it.Amazing games 10 years ago just shows that in the past, some people in your company used to be able to make good games. Its shouldn't be an eternal rating.

It seems to me that a lot of them got it years ago and now very few actually release games that should get rating. Instead, any game they release gets the rating automatically, and most times, it is no better than Indie stuff. Some really bad games are rated AAA. Looks at recent weeks.

We may not see it as meaning anything but lots of people think it means their games are better. They get more attention from media whenever they so much as sneeze.
Feels like a marketing scam to me.

Just because you big, it doesn't make you special. Or better.
AAA just means a game has high production values and was, therefore, expensive to make. I don't think "quality" is in any way a factor in the designation. Though, as you say, some people may mistake AAA for meaning high quality.

Indie games are just different. They can be anything they want to be, including AAA if they have the money to burn.

We've got to a point now where there is a lot of trash in the indie scene with developers just packing crap into a ball and throwing it at Steam. But there are still a lot of great indie games released every year. Of course, quality is somewhat subjective, but I'll take an indie over a AAA game pretty much every time.

AAA just means a game has high production values and was, therefore, expensive to make. I don't think "quality" is in any way a factor in the designation. Though, as you say, some people may mistake AAA for meaning high quality.
these days its "throw lots of stuff at the wall and see what sticks" Wasting several 100 million just in case it works.

So Ubisoft being AAAA just means they throw a boatload of money at any stupid idea and hope people buy it.

So Ubisoft being AAAA just means they throw a boatload of money at any stupid idea and hope people buy it.
Makes sense since rumor has it that Skull and Bones took over $200 million to make. Of course the economy has changed, but compare that to the $275 million GTA 5 reportedly cost to make when shipped in 2013, the difference is staggering.

Star Wars outlaws might sell if the people buying don't watch reviews. Its a shame for Ubisoft that they don't have physical copies anymore as way easier to sell to unsuspecting parents and grandparents for a present for little Johnny, who didn't buy it, as he knew it was bad.

No idea about other. If its like SW, the main character isn't only thing wrong with the game. As I said before, they used as a shield and put up if anyone mentions how bad game looks.

Sad when characters from 10 year old games look better.Show emotions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts