August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

Page 12 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I watched video about a guy whining that Black Myth should be ignored because:
  • Its just a single player game
  • Has no social aspect
  • Most of the players aren't from USA
So only multi player games count? There is normally enough gamers out there to play both types.

Since when does the country of origin of players on Steam charts mean anything? Its not the US charts. Perhaps you just need to realize there is more than one country out there. Just because all your friends only play games with guns or sports in it, doesn't mean that is entire world.

This is an echo of Palworld, Players who are missing all the competitors in games are complaining that everyone else has free will and can play other games. And consoles who don't get game cry about it too.

I love the little video that plays when you pull out your cash. DEFINITELY need the bowling alley!

Are you doing the Dolce radio write-in?
Somehow didn’t unlock it yet during this run, seems like I have to complete 5 substories first and I’ve been kind of flying through the game haha. It was definitely one of my favorite substories the first time so played this game, now I need to unlock it!

Extroverts would be like that I guess. Can't enjoy things alone, must have people to share with.

I am the opposite in most cases, but Journey would be boring alone. I know I enjoyed it less alone... mostly because I had finished it too many times already, it was how other people reacted that made it fun to me. Most games I play alone. Dislike having to play with people... only did it in Diablo 4 as no choice.

I just watched a chant from game, the video made me think about buying it... one day

Game was made for a Chinese audience, articles asking for replies about comments or changes to game aren't going to change anything as USA isn't target audience, it just happens to be released there. The devs had to meet far higher standards just to release game in China, they not going to change anything else now.

Last edited:
What, Diablo 4 on Steam?

Play for free for 2 days... please...

It must be dead if they opened it up to Xbox store and Steam. Oh well. Saves me buying the expansion. (somehow I don't think that was reaction they wanted. Its free advertising for their expansion, and a reminder that game exists).

Last edited:
What, Diablo 4 on Steam?

Play for free for 2 days... please...

It must be dead if they opened it up to Xbox store and Steam.
It's pretty dead. Whatever Blizzard touches, it dies slowly but steadily. I tried a one-hour trial of WoW yesterday just to see how it was. Everything is just ripped to shreds. Stormwind does not look like Stormwind, and Westfall looks like an acid dream. Got met with pay-for-convenience microtransactions aka WoW tokens and the like. The skills, UI, and whatnot just look confusing and misplaced. The only thing I could appreciate is that I could try out my mounts as a level 1. It's no wonder people join up on modded vanilla servers to play the game and not whatever joke WoW now is supposed to be...

Hell, they even managed to break Diablo 2!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zflR3g4rzc&t=832s

Wow stopped being the game I played about 10 years ago, classic was until they released expansions on it too... and even then it doubt it was exactly the same. I have no desire to return. The world map in both is different to what I remember, and current wow is so different I wouldn't know where to start.

Age of conan still exists but it too wouldn't be the same.

Sometimes you can't go back.

At least most single player games don't change.

Wow stopped being the game I played about 10 years ago, classic was until they released expansions on it too... and even then it doubt it was exactly the same. I have no desire to return. The world map in both is different to what I remember, and current wow is so different I wouldn't know where to start.
I stopped with WOLTK, the best expansion in my eyes. I still don't understand why they could not have just done that, but even better with later expansion. They had the formula right there!
Age of conan still exists but it too wouldn't be the same.
Never going to forget the times I spend kicking people off mountains with my horse. The game had a spark of something that could have been great and to be honest I'm not sure where it failed. I just remember it getting too buggy and that the raiding was not that great. I do have good memories from the first levels 1-20, I thought that section was done well.
At least most single player games don't change.
Hear, hear.

First time I played AOC at launch of game, the 1st area was fully populated but further you got into game, more you realized it wasn't finished. So I gave up for a while.
Second time, maybe a year later, it was more finished and there were more people playing and I actually finished the story though it was confusing.

I then joined an Australian guild and we played through most of Rise of the Godslayer expansion although I can't remember how far I got. Its 12 years or more since I played game
My PC was reason I stopped really. I was getting to areas my GPU couldn't display. My 8 year old PC was starting to show its age. So I just stopped playing game as hard to fight things you can't see. That and my internet connection then was slow
d1VS5fV.jpg

Which may have also contributed to me not seeing things... in an online game.
I played as a Tempest of Set. Unlike melee, most of my attacks were one button, no combos needed. Sure made game easier. I was more DPS than healer. By this stage I was getting bored anyway as I had all the Tier 1/2/3 Armour sets and was just looking for 1 item to have everything... for the first expansion anyway. I see there are four of them, not sure I played any of the others.

First time I played AOC at launch of game, the 1st area was fully populated but further you got into game, more you realized it wasn't finished. So I gave up for a while.
Second time, maybe a year later, it was more finished and there were more people playing and I actually finished the story though it was confusing.
Yeah, could be I was just too early on. I even bought the Robert D Howard collection of Conan so I would prepare for the game. At least the book was a good read.
I played as a Tempest of Set. Unlike melee, most of my attacks were one button, no combos needed. Sure made game easier. I was more DPS than healer. By this stage I was getting bored anyway as I had all the Tier 1/2/3 Armour sets and was just looking for 1 item to have everything... for the first expansion anyway. I see there are four of them, not sure I played any of the others.
I played as a barbarian, which I guess should not come as a shock. Obviously, I had also seen Conan the Barbarian (also the librarian skit in the movie UHF) like a thousand times. It's like with an old wine, it's better enjoyed alone.

I eventually played all the classes. Melee were too annoying with the combos needing multiple keys just to do one move. I liked how each race had a different start area (after the first one that everyone played through after shipwreck at start.
Barbarian was mostly dark Scottish highlands sort of feel?
TOS (Temple of Set) started in a a desert region.
I can't recall if there was a 3rd area.

I had the collectors edition with art book. I wonder if any of it still exists. It came in a huge box
The Collector’s Edition of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures comes in a metal-embossed red square box with inlay page, individually numbered holographic sticker and includes the following content:

• Leather map of Hyboria 14″ x 20″
  • The Ring of Acheronia and The Drinking Cape (in-game item)
  • Bonus DVD – trailers, behind the scenes, developer diaries, and artwork
  • Age of Conan soundtrack CD
  • Art Book (128 pages)
  • Five free guest passes online access to the game for a limited time
ring and cape helped right at start of game when finding anything useful was a struggle.

I eventually played all the classes. Melee were too annoying with the combos needing multiple keys just to do one move.
I thought that was a thing with every class. It didn't bother me too much, to be honest, I kind of liked it because you could do finishing moves with it if I remember correctly.
I liked how each race had a different start area (after the first one that everyone played through after shipwreck at start.
Ah, the shipwreck:) That has to be the most typical start of any MMO/RPG.
Barbarian was mostly dark Scottish highlands sort of feel?
Yeah, pretty much hack and slash and yelling freeedoooom!
I had the collectors edition with art book. I wonder if any of it still exists. It came in a huge box
Oh man, I didn't even remember having the collector's edition! I attended the first Funcom sale in Trondheim (Norway) back in 2005'ish. They were having this grand opening with fireworks, ladies, and a lot of booze. I remember talking to the community manager (bald guy) and I would guess I got my collectors edition from there.

I just watched an opening of the collector's edition. No wonder I didn't remember because there is no statue in it! Compared to for example the SWTOR collector's edition with the Darth Malgus statue, that must have been a pretty shitty experience for my younger self.

Last edited:
@ZedClampet an alternative to BFG you asked about is Shockwave Unlimited which has a $60/year sub for full access to well over 1,000 games.

I just stumbled over it and can't find out who owns it now—it was sold this year, but not who to. The press release isn't reassuring:
“This sale of a subset of non-core and non-profitable assets … allows us to focus our efforts on … assets and properties that boast substantial audiences, drive direct sales, and present significant subscription opportunities.”

You might remember it from the GODs of Flash & Shockwave from Macromedia who also made the excellent Dreamweaver web dev software and were bought by Adobe ~20 years ago.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Still playing arcade paradise. Still slowly trying to buy various arcade machines whilst maintaining the launderettes. its come to the point that (apparently) i'm making more money from the arcade then the laundry. But i don't see how as every time i empty the hoppers its like $10-$44 at a time.

The games still continue to be mostly substandard. Some of them are fun but thats because they are reskins of classic arcade games. Who knows? i might do a review of those games as well... Although the game is really boring, i'm still compelled to play it. Will let you know more once i finish.

Path of exile i've finally got the 12 challenges, reward unlocked. So... what next? the next rewards are on 24/30+ range and thats a tall order. The grinding missions are simple enough, with time i can do it. The problems are more on the high level red tier difficulty stuff, its unlikely i can sustain it and nor find the items i want/need to complete the tasks. i can't even buy my way or ride on the coat tails of more successful players to victory. Plus there is only one reward i really want (the weapon ability effect) and even thats something i can live without.

@ZedClampet might like this, its farming and walking at same time
Funny thing is I don't really like farming. I like the freedom that most farming games give you to tackle the game's economy. This looks like it would be something I would enjoy, but it has the "PT inspired psychological horror" to it, and I'm not really into horror anymore. I wouldn't enjoy a jumpscare on the way to feeding the chickens, or to find allegories about death in my cornfield. Now if they give you an option to turn off all that stuff, then I might be interested.

By the way, I think they added Diablo IV to steam last October. I would try it out, but I hate their launcher you are forced to download, and so long as you have the game installed, it runs in the background, at least that's the way the Game Pass version worked. You literally couldn't shut it down so long as Diablo IV was on your system.

Still playing arcade paradise. Still slowly trying to buy various arcade machines whilst maintaining the launderettes. its come to the point that (apparently) i'm making more money from the arcade then the laundry. But i don't see how as every time i empty the hoppers its like $10-$44 at a time.

The games still continue to be mostly substandard.
That's a common theme of the Steam user reviews. Doesn't bother me, though, because I wasn't interested in those anyway.

Reactions: Pifanjr
I did notice the horror aspect of that game.
By the way, I think they added Diablo IV to steam last October. I would try it out, but I hate their launcher you are forced to download, and so long as you have the game installed, it runs in the background, at least that's the way the Game Pass version worked. You literally couldn't shut it down so long as Diablo IV was on your system.
glad i don't have that version then. Battlenet only runs if I click icon... which I haven't done in over a year.

logon to discord, see this sparkling thing in listing. click... it says "stream Wow for 15 minutes to get some pet"... I laughed as I worked out how to hide the stupid thing.
Blizzard must be bleeding out. Wow for free for 2 days, free pets to anyone stupid enough to still play wow. Oh well, their best games are their past now.
Now I remember, they let people play the new expansion to wow early and not everyone paid the difference so the massive streaming numbers that normally happen didn't and they trying to get people to notice them now.

Last edited: