August 2024 PC Gaming General Discussion Thread

full

full

After noticing so many of the games I listed turn out to be questionable at best, I've decided on a different strategy: hindsight. So here is a list of the "Popular New Releases" for July that have user review scores of 90 or above.

I was going to do this for all releases, but the number of games is ridiculous and it would have taken me hours.

I also bought Cataclismo and The Operator. All 3 are as good as advertised.

Cataclismo is a tower defense game with building and The Operator is sort of like Orwell.
I liked the sound of Cataclismo, the way they justify quick saves in universe as Time Anchors I think it was. Will check it out one day, still putting my few available hours into the TW Warhammer 3 Cathay campaign.

I use hibernate, if the day is already 30c when I wake up, I just don't wake it up. That counts as not turning it on.

Also, in summer, if we have storms, I will turn it off and unplug PC to avoid power surges as its cheaper than replacing parts. Some weeks its easier to just turn PC off as you get a storm every day... I don't miss that.

there are arguments for and against turning pc off every day, the stress of start really isn't that bad on modern hardware.

I played a little bit of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with my kid the other day. I didn't realise we would be controlling two characters at the same time, which is a bit much for my kid, but once she has both of them situated it actually works really well. Though we are playing at the easiest difficulty setting, I don't think we would be doing nearly as well if we played on the normal difficulty setting.

I am starting to not bother with this combo
j9XH0G3.jpeg

I put them down in order... nope... huh. I just restarted that game

Beat my last high score
Za4nw8Q.jpeg

I almost ran out of room before I ran out of cards
The city area with a few vineyards & country estates:
6U5QMjj.jpeg

The forestry farming area
ucb9B1c.jpeg

The purely farming area
0w7NauI.jpeg

The oh crap running out of space area.
DX5cARt.jpeg

I should do other things tomorrow.
It was odd, half way through I was tempted to just stop as it didn't feel like it was going anywhere, but the combo I was using takes time to mature. then it went bang.

Last edited:
So after one day of considering it, I’ve decided to give up on my HTPC dreams (for now). At this moment it would just be best to buy a stronger BT transmitter, because the only issue I’m having is the controller not staying connected to my PC.

Still slowly trudging along in Gloomwood. I’ve not been successful in trying to stay stealthy. I’m too loud, too out in the open, too willing to resort to violence instead of being silent. I think it’s also a bit more fun for me that way. I will attempt to be stealthy, but the moment I get caught I’m pulling out the revolver. Playing on easy mode has given me tons of ammo, but the limited inventory space means you need to be thoughtful about management. Loving it a ton so far, going to try to put a good amount of hours into it this weekend.

So after one day of considering it, I’ve decided to give up on my HTPC dreams (for now). At this moment it would just be best to buy a stronger BT transmitter, because the only issue I’m having is the controller not staying connected to my PC.

Still slowly trudging along in Gloomwood. I’ve not been successful in trying to stay stealthy. I’m too loud, too out in the open, too willing to resort to violence instead of being silent. I think it’s also a bit more fun for me that way. I will attempt to be stealthy, but the moment I get caught I’m pulling out the revolver. Playing on easy mode has given me tons of ammo, but the limited inventory space means you need to be thoughtful about management. Loving it a ton so far, going to try to put a good amount of hours into it this weekend.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Only real reason I have one is because I have PC's coming out of my ears. Working in IT for the last 15+ years and being a PC nerd for longer than that, people just give me random bits of hardware, so I try to find uses for them. Speaking of which, if you want to pay shipping, I'll send you an i5-2500k, with motherboard and (I think 8gb) of RAM; it's literally just sitting on a shelf right now, I have zero use for it. Probably work decently for streaming with a Linux distro on it.

Gloomwood is on my short list of Early Access games (along with Shadows of Doubt) that I'm so excited to see release 1.0. It's been tough to resist playing them, but I really want the complete experience when it's fully released.

As for the first post, I looked at Empires of the Undergrowth; this game looked interesting on release and a sale price is enticing, but looking at the top review: No saves mid mission! Are you kidding me? I was mildly intrigued to begin with, but now I've completely lost interest in it.

Path of exile has distracted me from dark souls 3. But now that i've gotten to end game in POE, i'm going to take a break from it and try and complete DS3 and remove it from the game pile. We're pretty close now; just one last lord of cinder and we will be in end game territory and hopefully cross it off. Whether i can beat the DLC i don't know, its pretty tough.

POE wise, its so far a very promising league and its strangely compelling. that said, its still very grind heavy as you need to complete maps and gather the resources for collection etc. The challenges feel slightly easier, but its all deceptive. I can get the 12 confidently, but the 24-36? not bloody likely. Which is a shame as those are the prizes i really wanted.

My bday is on sunday, so to celebrate, im gonna be streaming and gaming because its 90f outside and i dont play with that temp. but i will be dining with birria tacos and if you never had them i suggest to order them right now.

I've recently been streaming to see if i can garner anything up over the next few months. Work has shaved a day off my schedule (remember its a big multi-million dollar company with a huge popular ceo and no its not amazon) so to supplement the time lost, trying to stream and i will include the link but dont expect anything fancy or stable lol

im also wondering if anyone else streams here id love to add your channels.

I have reached act 3 of Marvel: Midnight Suns. The story missions are still pretty easy, but I had one generic mission I had to restart three times. Again one of the bosses showed up and while they're fairly easy if you encounter them in story missions, getting one during a generic mission is somehow much worse.

I'm still enjoying the game, but I'm also ready for it to be done. It's been well over 1.5 months since I started playing and I really want to start playing something new. I'd really like to start a solo Baldur's Gate 3 campaign, but I'm a bit worried about how I'm going to fit that into my schedule.

Though of course I'll first have to join the monthly challenge once I've finished Marvel: Midnight Suns.

I should do other things tomorrow

What's that game again—I forget from last month :)

No saves mid mission! Are you kidding me?

Yuck. Only time this is acceptable is when the game description makes it clear they don't give a fiddler's about players life situations. I don't recall this tactic being ever more than a 'dirty little secret'.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Still going through Forbidden West here. I'm to the point where I'm not taking a screenshot of EVERY sunrise and sunset. ;)

Next month's challenge: speedrunning Marvel's Midnight Suns
NO DIALOG SKIPS!
I have reached act 3 of Marvel: Midnight Suns. The story missions are still pretty easy, but I had one generic mission I had to restart three times. Again one of the bosses showed up and while they're fairly easy if you encounter them in story missions, getting one during a generic mission is somehow much worse.
Oh look, Sabertooth! What heroes have you been using the most?

What's that game again—I forget from last month :)

Terrascape,,, no, not the Nike Shoes

TRENDING THREADS