Your 2024 PC Gaming Resolutions

I want to stick with games just a little bit longer to see if I can start enjoying them instead of abandoning them after 10 minutes.

Also, I've been buying tons of games, generally on sale, and then never even launching them. I'm going to come up with some sort of requirement about at least trying games before buying a new one. I'm also going to stop taking flyers on games just because they are on sale. If I'm not excited to try the game immediately, then I'm not going to buy it. The game will be there later if my enthusiasm goes up.

My main 2024 mission is to guide Zed along his declared journey to Patient Gamer. Pray for me, people… but at least ^ we have it in writing now ^

If I'm not excited to try the game immediately, then I'm not going to buy it

I use The Zloth Directive™—if I won't definitely play it before the next big sale, leave it.

I've been buying tons of games, generally on sale, and then never even launching them

There's a technique to help with impulsive buying of anything. When you see whatever, put it on a personal wish list calendar—a game, a lawn mower, a jacket, anything. Write it in for one month in the future. If when that month has passed, and you still feel it's a good purchase, you're on much more solid ground—whereas passing whims will evoke a 'What was I thinking?' dismissal.

I would like to try gaming with my friends a bit more often. My availability is very spotty and my money is limited, so I'm limited in the games I can play, but I should be able to do an occasional game of, for example, Vermintide or Company of Heroes.

I would also like to invite people more often for some couch gaming, though I should buy at least one new controller for that, as our current one isn't working very well any more. Alternatively we could just play GameCube games.

I should have a couple like, finishing old games, spend more family time playing together, buy the actual game of ones i loved that i fitpackd . Along with not breaking small plastic stuff if im mad or clumsy (mostly clumsy), enjoying the games i play more (CP's DLC is workin on that tho) or maybe playing a a little less and do more 'outside' activities but im probably just going to stay the same gaming wise.

Sons living on campus this semester for college/university so my goal here is to get at least 1 night a week where we can play somethin together (wife son and i) online.

I also am going to try and get one of the super cards so i can give my poor wife her 4070 back lol. Once that is secured she will get her 4070 and my son will get my 3070ti (he plays at 1080p) so we will have to be all set on gpus for a couple years lol.

My resolution should be to buy nothing this year. Granted, I didn't go super crazy last year, "only" spending $420, but a lot of stuff I buy, I tend to not necessarily play immediately. The last few years I've definitely been better and just playing stuff out of my library more, but I could easily keep doing that for years to come and not spend anything.

I guess another one would be to game more on my main desktop. Earlier this week I removed my second monitor from that setup because I found it to be a consistent distraction and detrimental to actually playing a game on my desktop. I'd tend to just pull up Youtube and mindlessly scroll and watch videos, not really playing anything at all, so that issue has been resolved, we'll see what happens.

do more 'outside' activities

Good thought—I recommend mobile gaming.

buy nothing this year

The Zloth Directive™—if I won't definitely play it before the next big sale, leave it.

I'd tend to just pull up Youtube and mindlessly scroll and watch videos

I used to do that too. Now my YT shortcut goes directly to my subs, and I 'never' click on the YT logo to go to the home page. I also reduced my subs by around 100. Both those have tamed that beast.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I'm aiming to read at least 40 books this year, up from about 5 last year.
That's a LOT of books! Well... probably. A "book" is a pretty funky unit of measure. I'm almost done with the 10 Chronicles of Amber books. Put them all into one novel, though, and I think they wouldn't be much bigger than the very first book in the Wheel of Time. The Elric novels were all pretty small, too.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Also, I've been buying tons of games, generally on sale, and then never even launching them. I'm going to come up with some sort of requirement about at least trying games before buying a new one. I'm also going to stop taking flyers on games just because they are on sale.
Now this is something that I've been trying to do a several times, including making public statements about this on these forums. :D You can guess how it all ended... :ROFLMAO:

Probably I have more games than I'll be able to play for the rest of my life. That's a fact. I'm still buying more games. That's also a fact. If I'm buying more games it means I own even more games than I'll be able to play for the rest of my life. Fact. Can I do something about it? I don't think so... :D

That's a LOT of books! Well... probably. A "book" is a pretty funky unit of measure. I'm almost done with the 10 Chronicles of Amber books. Put them all into one novel, though, and I think they wouldn't be much bigger than the very first book in the Wheel of Time. The Elric novels were all pretty small, too.

We own the 10 Chronicles of Amber books as a single book and it is probably the thickest book we own. A quick Google search shows it's about 1.5 times as many pages as the average number of pages of a Wheel of Time book. Took me quite a while to get through too.

Good point—let's ask our library expert @Colif where the cutoffs are for what constitutes a book.

Develop a devout belief in reincarnation.
The cutoff point between a novella and a novel is 40,000 words. This has nothing to do with "what constitutes a book". A book is just a book--some pages, and a spine--as opposed to a scroll, which is what they replaced. A magazine is a type of book, but some will argue with that and start bringing up content, which is really irrelevant.

I expect there is something out there that describes what a publication with less than 49 pages is...

the term has been defined by UNESCO for statistical purposes as a “non-periodical printed publication of at least 49 pages excluding covers,” but no strict definition satisfactorily covers the variety of publications so identified.

Books are media, the format the words are encapsulated in. So there is a distinction between that and how many words are encapsulated in it. People don't understand what the meanings of words they have used all their lives is.
Book is just the container. The story is the content.

Books clearly aren't just a physical media any more as you can get digital books.

Zloth

Community Contributor
We own the 10 Chronicles of Amber books as a single book and it is probably the thickest book we own. A quick Google search shows it's about 1.5 times as many pages as the average number of pages of a Wheel of Time book. Took me quite a while to get through too.
I asked Bing chat what the word count was, and it said it didn't know! I was guessing more like 10% or 20% bigger, not 50%!

Reactions: Sarafan and Pifanjr
The cutoff point between a novella and a novel is 40,000 words. This has nothing to do with "what constitutes a book". A book is just a book--some pages, and a spine--as opposed to a scroll, which is what they replaced. A magazine is a type of book, but some will argue with that and start bringing up content, which is really irrelevant.
According to Google reading speed can vary a lot but an average reader would take 2.2 hours to read 40,000 words. So far this year I've read one book and am 80% through another. I usually read about one hour each night on my Kindle Fire. According to Amazon the first had 384 pages and the second has 315 pages.

I'm pretty sure I'm a faster than average reader though.

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
One job I had years ago was so hard I used to be able to read a different Stephen King book each week. I was running out of books fast. His books weren't all short. I was buying books from Newsagent and reading them too fast. I didn't just stick to his books. I stopped at some stage as I can't remember last book of his I did read. I replaced him with Terry Pratchett... way sillier.

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
Jan 26, 2024
Visit site
According to Google reading speed can vary a lot but an average reader would take 2.2 hours to read 40,000 words. So far this year I've read one book and am 80% through another. I usually read about one hour each night on my Kindle Fire. According to Amazon the first had 384 pages and the second has 315 pages.

I'm pretty sure I'm a faster than average reader though.
speed reading is a good skill, we may not notice it, but we get more information by reading text, rather than listening to audio books or watching videos (that is, movements, well, you understand me), maybe someone will argue with me, but my opinion is this that this reading skill, developed over centuries, must be protected, and by quickly reading large texts we will be able to better understand the information and do it much faster than if we watched a video.
(sorry if something is wrong it’s clear if this is Google - translation hehe))

TRENDING THREADS