AI Predicts the Biggest PC Gaming Stories of 2024

I asked CoPilot for its predictions and here they are:

Here are some possible headlines for 2024:

• Valve announces Half-Life 3, exclusive to Steam Deck. After years of speculation and anticipation, Valve finally reveals the long-awaited sequel to its iconic FPS series, Half-Life. The game will be a launch title for the Steam Deck, Valve’s handheld PC gaming device, and will not be available on any other platform.
  • Microsoft acquires Ubisoft, adds Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and more to Xbox Game Pass. In a stunning move, Microsoft expands its gaming empire by purchasing Ubisoft, one of the largest and most successful publishers in the industry. The deal gives Microsoft access to Ubisoft’s vast catalog of franchises, including Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Rainbow Six, and more. All of these games will be added to Xbox Game Pass, Microsoft’s subscription service that offers access to hundreds of games on PC and console.
  • Epic Games wins lawsuit against Apple, opens up iOS to third-party app stores. After a lengthy and bitter legal battle, Epic Games emerges victorious in its lawsuit against Apple, challenging the tech giant’s monopoly over the iOS app market. The court rules that Apple must allow third-party app stores, such as Epic’s own, to operate on iOS devices, giving users more choice and developers more freedom. This also means that Fortnite, Epic’s popular battle royale game, will return to the iPhone and iPad after being banned in 2020.
It actually gave me 5 predictions, but 2 of them already happened and were news stories in 2023.

I get the first prediction about Half-Life 3 being an exclusive to the Deck since Half-Life Alex was exclusive to VR, but that would never work. I'll take Half-Life 3 being announced, though

Microsoft buying Ubisoft is unlikely, as well. Ubisoft has been adamant about staying independent and has even struck deals with companies like Tencent to buy large orders of stock to make it more difficult for someone else to get a controlling interest. It's definitely possible, though. Microsoft owns 5 percent of Ubisoft currently, but it may have to make deals with Tencent, Guillemot, and The Vangaurd Group and other institutional investors to make a deal work. The real question is whether regulators would allow the purchase. I suspect they wouldn't with the Activision/Blizzard deal just being finished.

As for the last one, I don't really care.

Yea i dont think none of those will happen, though MS buying Ubi would be fantastic. All those games added to game pass and then maybe we dont have to use their crappy launcher anymore.

Copilot told me:

- Nintendo Switch Successor will be announced (i think this is already happening anyways?)

-Gaming industry will face more challenges such as layoffs, cancellations etc. (this is true but its just kinda generic cause there is always this)

-Cosy games, user-generated content and AI will become more popular and influential (lol ok i mean yea?)

-Franchise games and remakes will dominate the market, while new IPs and surprises will be rare (the only prediction im curious to see and agree with thats not just a generalization of the gaming industry)

Yea i dont think none of those will happen, though MS buying Ubi would be fantastic. All those games added to game pass and then maybe we dont have to use their crappy launcher anymore.

Copilot told me:

- Nintendo Switch Successor will be announced (i think this is already happening anyways?)

-Gaming industry will face more challenges such as layoffs, cancellations etc. (this is true but its just kinda generic cause there is always this)

-Cosy games, user-generated content and AI will become more popular and influential (lol ok i mean yea?)

-Franchise games and remakes will dominate the market, while new IPs and surprises will be rare (the only prediction im curious to see and agree with thats not just a generalization of the gaming industry)
I think all of those are pretty obvious. CoPilot must be hedging its bet. Not sure what you mean on the last one. Franchise games and remakes have been the norm for awhile. Not 2023, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr
a launch title for the Steam Deck

Is the Deck still in beta? I thought it launched a couple of years ago. But yeah, I'll take HL3 too :)

Ubisoft, one of the largest and most successful publishers

That's a bit of an overstatement by CoPilot. I won't bother updating to current data, but Gaming Revenue 2021 summary in $m:

CompanyMillions
Tencent$7,932
Sony$4,147
Apple$3,599
Microsoft$2,916
Google$2,749
NetEase$2,225
Activision Blizzard$2,163
Nintendo$1,630
EA$1,551
CyberAgent$895
Take-Two$813
Square Enix$677
Playtika$659
Bandai Namco$648
Zynga$587
37 Interactive$560
Nexon$543
Netmarble$531
Konami$483
NCSoft$456
Century Huatong$428
Capcom$425
Warner Bros$405
Ubisoft$396
Aristocrat Leisure$344

So if MS bought Ubi, they'd still be only #2, unless there's been a big shift in last couple of years. But I get your points re why it's unlikely.

Last edited:
Is the Deck still in beta? I thought it launched a couple of years ago. But yeah, I'll take HL3 too :)

That's a bit of an overstatement by CoPilot. I won't bother updating to current data, but Gaming Revenue 2021 summary in $m: [oops, table pasted horribly—working on edit…]

CompanyMillions
Tencent$7,932
Sony$4,147
Apple$3,599
Microsoft$2,916
Google$2,749
NetEase$2,225
Activision Blizzard$2,163
Nintendo$1,630
EA$1,551
CyberAgent$895
Take-Two$813
Square Enix$677
Playtika$659
Bandai Namco$648
Zynga$587
37 Interactive$560
Nexon$543
Netmarble$531
Konami$483
NCSoft$456
Century Huatong$428
Capcom$425
Warner Bros$405
Ubisoft$396
Aristocrat Leisure$344

So if MS bought Ubi, they'd still be only #2, unless there's been a big shift in last couple of years. But I get your points re why it's unlikely.
I don't know anything about regulators and that stuff, but based on what I read about Microsoft/Activision, I think it might be blocked simply because Ubisoft's games are high profile. BUT I'm probably wrong about that.

Speaking of being wrong, CoPilot, after 17 paragraphs of statistics and reasoning, estimated Valve's 2022 net profit at $1.9 billion, so they would fall in between Activision and Nintendo. It seems like a reasonable guess as the "best estimate" of Valve revenue for that year was $13 billion.

Epic, also a private company, comes in around $1.7 billion.

But these numbers were provided by CoPilot, and I wouldn't bet a hamster's dinner on them being correct.

Just trying to make your table more complete and wrong :)

TRENDING THREADS