What's the best character class to play in BG3?

Thinking about trying this again and starting over. What are some suggestions for characters?

The one you enjoy the most. From what I understand the game isn't very hard to break, so I wouldn't worry too much about picking the optimal character, unless you plan on playing on the highest difficulty.

Personally, I made a halfling Cleric. Halfling just because it seems fun (though their Lucky ability isn't too bad either) and Clerics are extremely versatile.

The one you enjoy the most. From what I understand the game isn't very hard to break, so I wouldn't worry too much about picking the optimal character, unless you plan on playing on the highest difficulty.

Personally, I made a halfling Cleric. Halfling just because it seems fun (though their Lucky ability isn't too bad either) and Clerics are extremely versatile.
This reminds me of a demo I played recently. I can't remember the name of the game, but I made my character, a cleric, and the game said, "Oh look. A well-rounded cleric. People are going to love you." I assumed it was being sarcastic and had a good laugh over it.

I do enjoy playing clerics.

People say Bard is a good face character as you can take it in many directions and CHR is great for making friends.

I just played through as Karlach, I assumed it would be like Divinity OS 2 where the story is better with an origin character and I tried to avoid reading much about the game before I started.
I've never played a bard. In the olden days when you used to create multiple characters for a party, I never included a bard. I'd probably be a better player if I took their buffs and debuffs more seriously, but fights are often so tight that I'd rather the bard hit someone with his guitar than sing a song.

I'm a simple man. I roll an 18, I put it in CHR, I pick my starting cantrips and L1 spells, and set off as a Sorcerer.
I like sorcerers, too. Used to play them quite a bit back when I was a big cRPG guy.

I've never played a bard. In the olden days when you used to create multiple characters for a party, I never included a bard. I'd probably be a better player if I took their buffs and debuffs more seriously, but fights are often so tight that I'd rather the bard hit someone with his guitar than sing a song.

I usually ignore (active) buffs and debuffs in games as well, unless they're obviously overpowered. The problem is that they're a lot more complicated than just dealing more damage.

For example, in Baldur's Gate 3, if you add a fighter with you in your party, the increase in damage output per turn only depends on their to-hit bonus, the enemy's AC and the average damage of the weapon.
If you add a Bard with the Vicious Mockery cantrip, you not only increase the damage output per turn by the expected damage of Vicious Mockery, but you also decrease the damage input with the chance of giving an enemy disadvantage on its next attack roll. How big the impact of that disadvantage is then depends on the enemy and the party member it would likely target, which is a lot more variables. And that's just one of their spells, they have a ton more options.

So with overpowered buffs, it can be pretty intuitive to see that it's better to buff than to just do damage, but if the buffs are well balanced it becomes a lot more math to determine which one would be more effective in a specific situation. But then if the buffs are well balanced, it's often not worth the effort to figure out when to use them, as their bonus is at most only slightly better than just attacking.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
For those who prefer melee combat and tanking, the Fighter class provides durability and strong physical attacks. If you like stealth and precision, the Rogue class is perfect for sneaky, high-damage actions. Ultimately, the best class is the one that aligns with how you want to experience the game, for more details consider the below detailed article

Reactions: ZedClampet
I read the latest news from the developer, and they are still actively patching and improving this game, adding QoL features, etc. so I'm going to continue waiting before diving in.
The Giga Patch 7 coming in September will be amazing! I am waiting for it myself before continuing my evil (dark urge as it is called in the game) playthrough since they will also include more evil endings. I also hope they fix the inventory system with customizable bags, but if not, at least we'll probably find it through mods.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts