What was the first video game you remember playing?

Page 47 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Mar 15, 2022
Visit site
The first video game I remember playing was Super Mario. on the Nintendo Entertainment System. It was so much fun to play and I spent hours upon hours trying to beat the game. I loved the characters and the music in the game and it's still one of my favorites today.

Second, maybe. Wasn't the PC Engine first? Known as TurboGrafx-16 in US, where it flopped.
Yeah, I guess technically you're right. In the US, it came out the exact same month as the Genesis, but in Japan, it came out a year earlier than the Genesis. But you're right about it flopping here. The reason I didn't think about it is because when it was relevant, I had never even heard of it. I've never seen one with my eyes my whole life.

But I still think it's crazy that Nintendo didn't come out with the SNES until 2 years later. They were still mopping the floor with the 8-bit NES, and they didn't need to release anything new for a while. But "Sega does what Nintendon't" :D

Reactions: Brian Boru
I'm an avid gamer, but I've been trying to think of the first games I remember playing and really loved. I remember sneaking into my cousins dad's study to boot up his mac to play Monkey Island, where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? And Myst (which I wasn't very good at). If you're a gamer, what do you remember playing and why?
Halo: Combat Evolved on the Xbox. I remember because we got it along with the new xbox, which was very large and heavy (to child me).

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
If we are talking about PC games then it was Rogue in 1990 or 1991. For those who don't know it was a dungeon crawler with RPG elements. The map and characters were all displayed using ASCII characters. Very simple but very addictive. Why this game? I had just got a PC and a friend at work gave me a copy on a 720k diskettes. I thought why not - my wife also got addicted.

For non-PC games then it would be Space Invaders in my local pub. Not sure when but sometime in the 1980s. I remember buying an Atari console (2600?) to save some money. It was all the rage so you are young (then) and you try it and get hooked.

Last edited:
I wonder if people could explain their choice of game. It is not very interesting to know the game without the background. Note that the original poster did state "If you're a gamer, what do you remember playing and why? " Note the "why".
Unfortunately, most people in this thread are not like you. For some reason, this thread gets a bunch of people who post one post, then never come back. It actually boggles my mind how many One-Posters this thread attracts.

But I really did enjoy your post, which was different than the norm, and I hope you keep coming around to join in on our discussions in the other threads!

May 17, 2022
Visit site
The game which at the time most people disliked it. It was Resident Evil 5: Gold edition. If you don't remember or unaware.

It is and always be my all time favorite. Too bad they don't have an android version. I would have loved to play it all day on the move.

Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS