Upgrading desktop to gaming pc

Jan 7, 2021
I have a desktop computer with...
CPU - Intel i7-4790
GPU - Built In Intel HD 4600
Motherboard - Inspiron 3847
Power Suppy - 300W Yeechan
I would like to be able to game and wirelessly do VR. Everything is so laggy and crashes a lot. I am guessing it is my graphics card. I want to buy and new one and am hoping it will fix my problems. By looking at my system will I be able to do VR with a upgraded gpu? I want to get a EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 XC Black Gaming 6GB. Will I be able to play VR wirelessly fast at high setting along with other games such as Fortnite and Call Of Duty on mid to high settings smoothly? Any other graphics card suggestions that would outperform that? I am looking under $350. I am also aware I need to upgrade my Power Supply. It is a 300W and my system with the new card will take around 380ish. In the future I would like to get the Ryzen 5 3600 with a AMD compatible motherboard probably the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 but im not doing that yet. Anyway I would like a power supply that is compatible with my Inspiron 3847 intel motherboard and AMD motherboard if possible. Also I would like to keep that under 60 at around 40 if possible. Thanks to whom responds

Sep 21, 2020
well to be honest i would not really try to build around that. BUT you could upgrade it with a vid card, The 1060 is basically the 1660, the slightly newer 1660 is only slightly better, but it uses a different power structure aka you need to upgrade the PS, which with possibly propiertary parts it may not be as easy as plug and play.

So basically you could just install the 1060, get roughly the same performance for a bit less money. The parts power up to right around 290 at max, If anything just stops working under huge loads you can always go adjust things in your bios, like turning turbo off, but honestly the comp should be fine. People tend to over state PS needs. I know lots of folks just like extra headroom too. But i've always been on the side of skimp a little on the PS,. BUT get a good one. So get a solid 650, even if your using 550 watts you should never have an issue. Granted your system will be just over the amount, but i've also run systems back in the day with 300 watt supplies and not has any issues as long as your covered and not drawing to over the amount your producing even a maxed out PS should work, It's how they are made.. +50 or +100 is always nice head room though.

Then just game while you eventually build your new comp around what you want. Any good power supply that is modular should work as long as it has the right rails. Meaning if you go look at the new 650's from evga, corsair ext they are going to work. As far as your comp goes though you need to talk to the manufacturer, or do some digging for options on the ol interwebs.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020
thepcjournal.com
To avoid inconsistencies with your other parts. you can plug in you build into the PC Part Picker system builder.
I would recommend planning out a new build and waiting till you can afford all the other parts. Ive had part compatibility issues in the past and id encourage you to steer clear of that.

Sep 21, 2020
To avoid inconsistencies with your other parts. you can plug in you build into the PC Part Picker system builder.
I would recommend planning out a new build and waiting till you can afford all the other parts. Ive had part compatibility issues in the past and id encourage you to steer clear of that.
yea that is my biggest thought, that is why trying to upgrade the Power Supply i'm kinda iffy about, unless of course you can just get a good fully modular PS, and it will fit.

But still the 1060 is a solid option and should not need the boost extra power and get him gaming till he saves for the new system. I often spend my money on an upgrade on a computer that is getting dated on a new vid card with plans to build the rest of the sytem in the next year or two. For instance i grabbed the 1060 6gb 2 years back. I'm tossing it in my new I11 build. In another year or two i'll get a 3060TI or something like that. It helps me spread my money over the life of the comp and i can always play what i want at a good level.

Just my 2 cents.. Others like to just save, build all at once, then wait 5 years and do it all over again. I'm more in the camp of spread it out over the life of the comp and grab the tech increases when the price is right.

Oct 2, 2020
the current PSU isn't enough power to run a decent graphic card. hence the upgrade requirement.
i swapped out my 1060 6gb for a 3060 ti and wasntsure id run it on my 500w but alls good so it saved me a few quid n hassle ;)

Sep 21, 2020
I put in the numbers, which is why i suggested the 1060, it uses less power than the 1660 and has about the same performance. It's like some chips need 65 others use 125.

check if you like, but the 1060 with his system comes in just under 300 and those numbers are full draw. comps don't typically run at full draw. Use a AC outlet tester to see your real world draw..

at anyrate, a 1060 should squeak in, But he should really check with the manufacturer about the connections on a new PS.

Power checker here https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts