The last game you completed

Page 11 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike the most challenging mode and great game adventure. :)

Ah, IGI2 i enjoyed that one. It was an improvement over the original game but even then it still had that cookie cutter design to things which dented the score. Its one of the few games that was set in modern day china and was banned in china for portraying china in a negative light.

Speaking of games, i recently got round to playing High Hell. honestly, i found it incredibly underwhelming and repetitive very quickly. i finished it all in 75 min and didn't want another go afterwards. i got it on a heavy discount and i wasn't convinced it was worth that. Shame. i was hood winked by the positive reviews and decent devs making it.

There is a good game just waiting to burst out from it, but it was too bare bones to enjoy it.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Finished Quake 2 RTX yesterday. Lighting in this game looks marvelous. As for the gameplay, the game is worse than Quake 1 (except for soundtrack), but it's still a very good piece of FPS. I highly enjoyed it and will probably continue playing the expansions without RTX. :)

Also finished F.E.A.R. for the first time a few days ago. I must say that the gunfights still look great even after 15 years. Particle effects do their job. I only regret that the game wasn't able to scare me. I'm probably immune to this after more than 25 years of gaming. :p

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
Most recent game I completed was Tell Me Why, DontNod's third drop in standards since the first Life is Strange. The most annoying thing about the game was the 80-page children's story book you had to pretty much memorise to finish the game. And way too many dull moments. It's not a bad game per se but I expect a lot more from the team that gave us LiS 1. Hope Twin Peaks makes up for this.

Reactions: Zloth
Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
Red Dead Redemption 2. For as much as you can finish it though. I've played through the story and the epilogue, but there's still stuff going on in that world.

10 out of 10. One of the best games I've played in years and, roughly, 90 hours very well spent.

But I leave RDR2 as it is for now and I'm currently playing Dishonored 2.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Mafia II: Definitive Edition
Since I had craving for some Mafia game and I got DE for free (pretty cool move, not gonna lie) it wasn't a tough choice. And damn, the game still is a blast. The missions, writing, characters, the world - what's not to like? Even some of the songs got stuck in my mind ("praaaaise the lord and pass the ammunition!") more than they should. Overall it's the same good old Mafia, but better looking, so it's definitely a game to play.

BUT
There are some weird things. Like newspaper guys not yelling about anything anymore - I even checked some videos on YT and I rightly remembered they used to shout about stuff. There's also some weird flicker to distant lights and steam, that can be distracting. And few times my character had some "forehead" issue (as showed in funny screenshot thread).

DLC
As I never played DLC for Mafia II before I was curious what they bring. And... I didn't last long. I don't mind doing one or two mission where you have to wreck stuff on timer, it's ok. But when it seems whole DLC is like this... I stopped playing after about 3 hours. Checked second DLC and it seemed more of the same. Shame, didn't even try 3rd at this point.

Nov 15, 2020
Visit site
@OsaX Nymloth Yea, the DLC for Mafia 2 I heard was basically stuff butchered from the main storyline to $ell as DLCs. That's why they're utterly random and make no sense. It's such a shame. I was hoping they'd at least sew it back into the main game while adding the rest of the missing part that would've connected those missions to the story but guess that was just too much work...

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
What was the last game that you completed, and how would you rate it?

Completing games is not something I do often. The most recent game I completed was Halo Reach for the MCC on PC. I had originally played it on 360, but I barely remembered the campaign so it was great to get back in it. I haven't played much of the multiplayer, but I'd give the campaign 8/10 (nostalgia could play a big part)
GTA4

I beat Amid Evil a few days ago. Quite a solid retro FPS. Unique levels that are well designed and I like the art style. Overall, though, after playing Dusk and Amid Evil - while both are fantastic for what they are trying to do - I've realized that I don't really love the genre of overall. It's decent, but I won't be going out of my way to find Retro FPS's in the future. Now I have to actually decide what is next!

Another game crossed off the list. This time it was... Watch Dogs 2.

It was ok. I had fun with it. The city was nice to explore and the missions were interesting and creative. I think my fun was impacted by playing it on realistic which made most encounters a tedious game of stealth or sitting outside a restricted area, calling in cops/rival criminals to kill everyone and me finishing the job with a drone and dropping explosives on everyone.

Everyone has an opinion on the characters and meh, they were ok. But yeah the plot was deeply flawed. At times they seemed like good people, characters were fun and decent and other times they acted like a bunch of smug twats and the story was full of contradictions. Marcus breaks into Blume to erase his criminal record only to do worse things to bring down blume. its practically a self fulfilling prophecy and his self righteous nature just made the whole thing farcical. Especially when i committed countless acts of fraud, theft, burglary, grand theft auto, terrorism, manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter, conspiracy, planned murders and actually committed 1st degree murder on dozens of individuals.

Yeah, I really had to wonder if WD2's plot was written by somebody who knew what the gameplay was like. Still, the game was fun enough. Did you send the cops after the donut guy, @Johnway ?

@Zloth yeah i did call the police on the donut guy just for the achievement. The way i see it, Ubisoft was trying to produce a bunch of modern day robin hood techno hackers that did things for the lols as well. Sometimes they acted like morale vigilantes other times they acted like complete hypocrites and dicks. Like hacking a power station in Korea causing blackouts to reach delaware servers to forward their agendas. So it makes them unlikable at the same time and hard to root for them in the end. If your hero isn't someone who want to support, its just going to be rubbish.

its not to say that the villians were any better. Whilst they weren't exactly sympathetic (the dodgy stuff that was exposed by dedsec is very believable that it could happen in real life), they were pretty inept. Dushan by the end of it was a pretty inept villian. he had governments eating out of his bloody hands, he might as well hired a whole bunch of fixers, mercs or even gang members to just launch an all out assualt or assassination on dedsec he could easily deny plausibility.

Well that didn't take long. just beat Chex quest HD. Not a bad remake of the game. I liked it, even if it was far too easy and short. But whatever, its a promotional game. There were additional characters and endings and such, but meh, i beat the games 5 levels i'm not going to do it 5 more times. Job done. Time for another indie game.

@Johnway You're a machine!

I've been dabbling in and out of a lot of stuff. Finished Dishonored 2 the other day. I had played most of the way through a couple of years ago. then I watched the excellent Noclip documentary on the story of Arkane and having played Prey recently I decided to start again and get to the credits.

Not a lot to say that hasnt been said. It's a set of fun sandbox levels with abilities and items that can be combined in ways that are be surprising and make you feel powerful and smart. Yet I almost always felt in danger too which isnt a balance a lot of games get right. Unique setting even if the story is a bit pulpy for my taste, cant wait to see what Arkane brings next.

Reactions: clusternolly
With the Path of exile flashback leagues starting next friday (4th dec) its kinda left me in a bit of a dilemma as to what to play. i need to play something that's short enough to finish in a week or less. So Whip out another Indie game. This time more a demo: the expendabros and yeah, finished that in 39mins. its just more broforce with expendables skin. I think it might be the first bit of broforce. But whatever, i beat it.

Cross that one off the list. Next game.

Reactions: clusternolly

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Got myself through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood as I wanted some good FPS action. And just day after finishing it a new sale started on Steam and I grabbed Wolfenstein II so I guess that's a good recommendation.
I was a bit grumpy at the dialogue writing here and there, but it's not like this matters in this kind of game - the shooting was good and satysfying and getting through the game on hard difficulty made me die quite a few times. Managed to grab over half of the colectibles even and missed only one "challenge/per".
Also it run buttersmoothly on my 5+ yo PC on high settings. ID Tech engines can be a bit "weird" at times (quick turning = seeing textures panicking and loading in front of you, just like in Rage) and "static", but at the same time, optimization seemed really well done.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
@OsaX Nymloth Hope you played Wolfenstein: The New Order first otherwise buy that also and play it before New Colossus. Both great games. I've finished both but have yet to finish Old Blood.
I played New Order few years ago but somehow only bought Old Blood some time after playing it and it was gathering dust in my library till recent times. So yeah I avoided playing those games in wrong order :D

Reactions: SBan83

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Just rolled the credits on GTAV and Control. Control was great, definitely the best Remedy game since Max Payne 2. As for GTAV, the ending was disappointing. I thought the story would have carried more weight if they didn’t have two sad endings and one “everyone rides off into the sunset” ending - all of which decided by a menu selection on the in-game cell phone.

Oh well, it’s GTA, its not RDR2.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
@Akeyiro How did you like the main antagonist compared to the one in Resident Evil 2? Would you say RE3 is a more scary game overall? I have only played the demo of both, so I guess I kind of into buying one of them at some time.

I found RE2 way scarier than RE3, and I feel there are scarier moments in RE2 than RE3 - but I need to remark that this opinion is solely based on my own experience: for example, I find closed environments (houses, buildings, etc) more frightful than open ones (streets and alleys, especially if with lights, as it’s the case in RE3), and this applies to RE2; also, you have more interactions with other characters in RE3 than in RE2 (which makes completely sense, since most of the events in RE3 happen when the virus outbreak has just begun), which makes you feel way less alone and lost than in RE2.

Nemesis is a pain in the butt mainly because he’s more agile than Mr. X, and obviously looks more frightening than the latter. However, if you ask me which one gave me more anxiety and I felt more threatening, my answer is Mr. X definitely. Because you have the guy roaming around the Police station at all times and you never know when you’re gonna bump into him, while Nemesis shows up only at specific times.

Therefore, my final comment is that both games are well done, but I’d place RE2 above RE3 in terms of dread. Also, RE3 is too short and lots of content from the original game was removed - something that, if not done, would have allowed the game to be better than RE2: Capcom wanted to take advantage of the success of RE2 by releasing RE3 as soon as possible and making as many sales as possible, but such a choice prevented RE3 from being a remake on the levels of its predecessor.

Both games are good and I definitely recommend purchasing both - however, get RE3 when it's discounted. Because, as I said, although it's good, it feels like something's missing.

Finished another Indie game and it was Ape out. Overall, a fantastic game that i had a lot of fun and was very very impressive. The presentation was simple yet stylish and very effective. That Jazz brought the whole thing together very very well. But lets not forget the gameplay. Entertainingly violent and the balance between hunter and prey was fantastic. I could picture this as a sort of predator game in ape form, as you smash through labs, a 30 floor office block, a war torn landscape (complete with bombs raining down), a transport ship and zoo was just inspired.

Oh and props to the end credits end theme. Was a perfect end to the game. EDIT: actually came from a well known jazz player? You've Got To Have Freedom · Pharoah Sanders.

Would i recommend it? Absolutely. It offered something different and refreshing. Not the longest game but fun whilst it lasted.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS