The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (3 July to 9 July)

Welp,our 150 hour V Rising save is corrupted. I just loaded some backup saves, and it's still not working, so I'm at a loss, but it looks like we'll either be starting over or moving on. I'm going to try a couple more things, but I don't know what else to do. I deleted every V Rising file on my computer, including all the saves and server information in the LocalLow directory, then reinstalled the game and added in several different save backups that should all be fine, and it still doesn't work. Honestly, I think it's somehow related to that odd crash I detailed in another thread, and there's something corrupted in my Windows or Steam installations. I can't seem to close the game anymore without it crashing. Maybe I'll try a Windows reset and a reinstallation of Steam. I'm not in the mood for a clean Windows install today.

I decided yesterday for a change of pace to play Forza the way my son plays it, and honestly I had a ton of fun. First, when you upgrade your car, you put the appropriate tires on then spend all the rest on nothing but speed related parts. Then when you drive, you are ULTRA aggressive. The best way to make a turn is to get on the inside of the track and slam into one of the cars in front of you. If you are in the lead, you hug the outside wall, full throttle, and let the curve of the wall get you through the turn. Both methods are ugly, but much faster than proper driving.

And I bought a game this morning while half asleep, but I don't know what it was. I'm going to have to put someone else in charge of my finances during future sales.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I couldn't resist any longer and got Final Fantasy 7 Remake. FF7 was my favorite game (despite its horrible keyboard controls) until Witcher 3 came along. Revving that thing up with modern graphics and, more importantly, modern music has been awesome.

At one point, I could see Sky (aka Aerith aka Aeris) standing at the end of the road. Naturally, being an old hand at RPGs and being given an obvious way to go, I immediately tried to go other ways so I could grab any hidden treasures. Eventually I went where I was supposed to, though, and the music hit. I stopped dead and let the music play all the way through. So many memories!

can't seem to close the game anymore without it crashing
Steam has a 'Verify files' thing hidden somewhere in its menus, try that before doing a big refresh.

something corrupted in my Windows or Steam installations
Try some other game(s) first, play a few minutes, save, move on, come back later. If they're fine, then it's almost definitely only V Rising.

Steam has a 'Verify files' thing hidden somewhere in its menus, try that before doing a big refresh.
Yeah, I already did that, BUT I just now got it working again. Such a relief. Actually, I got it to the point where I could get in the game, but it wasn't saving, so then I had to figure that out. But let's just say I became very familiar with the game during that process, and for my troubles, I removed the restriction on fast travel with resources and doubled the size of inventory stacks. That's almost worth the indigestion it gave me last night and this morning.

Whenever a game causes me grief, I always reward myself for fixing it with in-game enhancements :)

Well, got my new PC up and running!
So everything worked fine out of the box, only problem i had, and it was annoying to fix because of the CPU cooler, was i had my RAM in the wrong 2 slots since i only had 2 (should be in slots 2 and 4 if you only have two of them, and of course i put mine in the 1st and 3rd).

Specs: 3070ti, 12700k, 32gb DDR5 ram. MSI Z690-A mobo. 1000watt evga psu platinum and a noctua cpu cooler with 3tb of nvme storage.. Nothing too fancy, but i built this all on cash even though it took me roughly a year to get all the pieces.

Dont mind the smudges on the case lol i gotta move it to its final spot still

o4pivMe.jpg

Attaboy! :D

Is that a fan back top right, the black circle with the grey center circle? The Noctua, maybe.

What's behind the bottom grey fabric grill?

Yes, I'm out of touch with modern cases and placements :)

Yea that is this cpu cooler in which i believe you are referring to: Noctua chromax

I had to order a special part from them to mount t his to the mobo though which delayed the build a week or so, but it was pretty easy to install it. They even give you a nice tool to use and thermal paste to put on the cpu (its good thermopaste too)

I still need to add a 120mm to the back, but its got good airflow for now.

Behind there is the PSU and it had a cage for SSDs/HDDs but i took it out since my mobo has 4 nvme slots, im just gonna have nvme storage to keep my pc as open for airflow as possible. Also, im not all about keeping it neat so the below image might irk some ocd pc builders lol though i think i did pretty good.

zPqKVWn.jpg

And I bought a game this morning while half asleep, but I don't know what it was. I'm going to have to put someone else in charge of my finances during future sales.

Do you mean you don't know which game you bought, or what kind of game the game you bought is?

Also, im not all about keeping it neat so the below image might irk some ocd pc builders lol though i think i did pretty good.

zPqKVWn.jpg

How is this is not considered neat? My PC looks like a dump compared to this.

Do you mean you don't know which game you bought, or what kind of game the game you bought is?
I knew what you did in the game. I just didn't remember the name. I've since looked at the list of recent games purchased in Steam support, and it's Star Traders: Frontiers.

You customize your space ship, put a crew together, which you level and get gear for, then you do missions. Fighting is kind of like Darkest Dungeon.

Seems I have Covid again. Yay. On the bright side, I have Thalassemia Minor, which is kind of rare these days, but is sort of an adaptation Roman soldiers developed that prevented them from getting malaria, at least that's the speculation, and it also, as it turns out, prevents most Covid symptoms. The real problem is that I'm contagious and had places to go this week.

I'm going to give myself a home test later, but Guido has it. He also has Thalassemia, and also the advantage of youth, so his Covid only lasted a few hours. That's possible with anyone, but it's the norm with Thalassemia, it seems. It's been that way with everyone on the Italian side of my family. Most Italians don't have Thalassemia though, just to be clear, because if two people with Thalassemia have children, they tend not to live very long.

Last edited:
All please join with me in wishing Augustus Clampet a speedy and drama-free recovery.

PS watch out for Legionnaires' disease.
Thanks. I don't even know for sure that I have it yet. I'm just one of those morons who can't wait to post garbage on a message board. I was going to take the home test today, but the box says to wait until tomorrow (based on the number of days I've been exposed).

I feel much better than I did this morning and am now leaning toward not having it. Still loading up on Zinc and Vitamin D.

I'm just one of those morons who can't wait to post garbage on a message board
You too, huh?
But you know it's not a surprise, right? You gave it away when you started your very own weekly 'please post crap here' thread—oh gosh, look where we are.

Maybe we can get a club going. You should make a list of everyone who's posted in these threads…

I had about an hour to game yesterday, which felt too short for Warhammer 2, so I picked a new game: Hands of Fate 2. I thought it was a roguelite deck building game, so I was surprised when I was suddenly thrown into an arena to fight some enemies.

The game does have a deck building component though. At the start of each mission you choose encounters and equipment you can find during the mission. The trick is to include the ones that work best with the special rules of each mission. However, you don't know what an encounter does until you've encountered it, so I went in mostly blind on my first try.

Having to discover the effects of each encounter card first is a bit of a cheap way to extend the lifetime of the game, but the actual gameplay is enjoyable, so I don't mind.

The fights did make me realize it's been forever since I played an action-adventure, as I kept pressing the wrong buttons, but after switched two buttons and a few more fights I wasn't nearly f(l)ailing as much any more.

Playing a bit more Hands of Fate 2 this morning and I've gotten the hang of the combat system a lot more now. It's not perfect yet, but I hardly mix up the buttons any more and manage to block most attacks, so it's a big improvement. The minigames on the other hand... I had to do a lockpicking minigame for a companion quest encounter and it took my forever to get it right, which meant I had to start over the entire encounter several times.

My system has become completely unstable today. I guess I'll be doing a clean install of Windows and then I'm going to save up for a Mac.

I've changed my upgrade philosophy in Forza, so I've started a new project to go back and update all my vehicles to the new format. Then I'm going to race each one, and the ones that I win with, I'm going to rework the liveries.

Is this search via hitting Windows key, and typing?
Yes. In Windows 10 you could choose not to have web results, but they removed that for Windows 11.

It's just a bad tool overall. Type in "Advanced Power Options" and even though that's a thing in Windows (you can adjust the power sent to the CPU for one thing), it has no idea what you are talking about and will send you to all sorts of unhelpful articles about how to make your computer go into sleep mode.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS