The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (28 August to 3 September)

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that's what I meant. I don't avoid the story missions, but I prioritize exposing the FTPs on the map and picking up perks—both of those involve a lot of screwing around which is good fun since I don't drive anywhere, ie I get into a lot of trouble :)
That's good for a second etc. playthrough. Hard to do that the first time through without doing your level of research. Can't imagine many other people who would want to do that.

That's interesting. Yeah, I started over because I wanted to do things in a different order, and when I did, I took it down to Normal. Maybe I should move it to either Easy or Hard. Easy sounds pretty good right now. Maybe I could leave the battles on Normal and just change the campaign.

Note: changed "heard" to "herd" in my OP.
Hard is supposedly much easier than normal. Not sure about easy, I don't think many people play on that on the subreddit.

I've switched to playing campaigns on hard with battle on normal and so far it's still been pretty easy. The slight increase of enemy armies mostly just means more experience and loot.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Hard is supposedly much easier than normal. Not sure about easy, I don't think many people play on that on the subreddit.

I've switched to playing campaigns on hard with battle on normal and so far it's still been pretty easy. The slight increase of enemy armies mostly just means more experience and loot.
Yeah, it's mostly at Very Hard where the campaign picks up and enemies start off with huge armies. But the battles on Hard are definitely harder than on normal. I'm just talking TWW2. Apparently this update to 3 has changed a ton of stuff, so I'm not sure what's going on now.

Not sure about easy, I don't think many people play on that on the subreddit.
People on Reddit lie about their difficulty. Nearly everyone said they were playing on Very Hard or Legendary, then I got the achievement for winning on Very Hard / Legendary and almost no one had it. Same thing with Forza. They all claim to be on Unbeatable and then I get an achievement saying 1.6 percent of players had beaten one of the main events on Unbeatable. And I don't even want to talk about Vermintide. I had to stop playing with all these superstars because we never were able to finish missions on Legendary. Heck we couldn't even finish on Champion most of the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's mostly at Very Hard where the campaign picks up and enemies start off with huge armies. But the battles on Hard are definitely harder than on normal. I'm just talking TWW2. Apparently this update to 3 has changed a ton of stuff, so I'm not sure what's going on now.

I believe the AI actually uses better tactics on Hard battle difficulty in Warhammer 3, they don't just get some buffs.

People on Reddit lie about their difficulty. Nearly everyone said they were playing on Very Hard or Legendary, then I got the achievement for winning on Very Hard / Legendary and almost no one had it. Same thing with Forza. They all claim to be on Unbeatable and then I get an achievement saying 1.6 percent of players had beaten one of the main events on Unbeatable. And I don't even want to talk about Vermintide. I had to stop playing with all these superstars because we never were able to finish missions on Legendary. Heck we couldn't even finish on Champion most of the time.

It does seem like a lot of the people on the subreddit don't complete most or any of their campaigns, according to themselves.

Quick Forza Related Quiz

If anyone other than @WoodenSaucer or @Frag Maniac can tell me who the famous person who drove this car was, I'll give you a mental pat on the back.
goodwrench.jpg

It does seem like a lot of the people on the subreddit don't complete most or any of their campaigns, according to themselves.
As far as I know, people not completing campaigns is usually related to the Empires campaigns, not the Chaos campaign in 3, which was short and simple, and there was no reason not to complete it. There was no tiresome late game in that.

And I guarantee the Forza people are finishing races and the Vermintide people were at least trying to finish missions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
A good friend of mine went down to the Daytona 500 this past weekend. He sat next to Dale Jarrett on the plane. Pretty crazy.

(FYI Dale Jarrett is not the right answer. :) )
I'm thinking about making Dale Jarrett's car next, but not because of Dale Jarrett, but because that's the car Ernie Irvan drove before he was knocked out of racing when he had a tire blow at Michigan. He came back a couple of years later for a short time before fully retiring, but he wasn't the same driver during that little stint that he was before the accident.

I pretty much stopped following NASCAR after Irvan retired. Back then was the golden age of NASCAR. We had season tickets at Bristol, which were really hard to get. It was a lot of people's favorite track because the races were just crazy there. But then they changed it from asphalt to concrete and most of the bumper car crashing stopped.

I'm thinking about making Dale Jarrett's car next, but not because of Dale Jarrett, but because that's the car Ernie Irvan drove before he was knocked out of racing when he had a tire blow at Michigan. He came back a couple of years later for a short time before fully retiring, but he wasn't the same driver during that little stint that he was before the accident.

I pretty much stopped following NASCAR after Irvan retired. Back then was the golden age of NASCAR. We had season tickets at Bristol, which were really hard to get. It was a lot of people's favorite track because the races were just crazy there. But then they changed it from asphalt to concrete and most of the bumper car crashing stopped.
Isn't Bristol one of the smaller tracks?

your level of research. Can't imagine many other people who would want to do that
I agree, that's the 4X/RTS strategy gene coming thru—only FPSs which interest me have that scope :)

People on Reddit lie about their difficulty
Time to confess I suppose. I lie about it too :(

I've been telling y'all I play on Easy or lower. Truth is I always dive straight in on Unsurpassable, with one eye covered with a patch, and one hand tied behind my back. That's why I've been best in world for a decade at pirate games.

who the famous person who drove this car was
Bruce Springsteen?

After waking up some more yesterday and thinking it through, I decided to leave my Dwarf campaign on the broken Normal setting. Total War is a game that is typically very difficult to lose. You may not win, I guess, but actually losing is tough to do. So I need to keep playing before they fix the aggression level and enjoy it.

@Pifanjr sorry if I seemed rude yesterday on the reddit stuff. Those guys are just so often full of it that it drives me batty, and I rarely go over there because of it, but everyone has different experiences and opinions on the reddit life.

Bruce Springsteen?
We joke around so much on here that I'm not sure if that's a guess or a joke, but Bruce Springsteen is not the answer. Did he get into car racing? I'm looking for the name of a famous race car driver. Americans will have heard of him even without following racing.

Did anyone play Back 4 Blood? It seems like Turtle Rock channeled Evolve instead of Left 4 Dead 2. Of course, Valve was in charge and acting as game directors of L4D2, so maybe Turtle Rock really didn't have much to say about its success. Anyway, the reviews are pretty poor for B4B, and I noticed there were about 4 times as many people playing L4D2 this morning. I only played about 10 minutes of B4B on Game Pass with Guido and my nephew, but I found it difficult (they wanted to play on Hard) and kind of soulless.

guess or a joke, but Bruce Springsteen
It was actually a guess, based on "Boss" maybe written on front right fender—but it's probably 'Bass"… oh well.

a famous race car driver. Americans will have heard of him even without following racing
I can think of 3, and 'him' knocks out Danika, so I'll go for Dale Earnhardt.

Ooh I felt that, kind of a sweaty tingle…

King of Indy, Mario Andretti.
I don't sweat. I glisten.

Danika doesn't really deserve to be in that list for her driving (she was fine, but not Andretti or Earnhardt level), but people thought she was opening the door for more female drivers. That doesn't seem to have happened. Every once and awhile you get a female or black driver (Bubba Wallace is actually fairly successful right now--leave it to NASCAR to find a black guy named "Bubba") and everyone gets excited, but then there's not another one for 20 years.

So in Forza, the AI aren't impacted by the game's physics unless you are within a certain distance of them. If you aren't close to them, the game just sort of moves them along on rails at appropriate speeds.

So I was doing this "anything goes" race, which means that you and the AI can pick any vehicle you want. For the AI, the game adjusts their vehicle specs so that they are roughly the equivalent of your car, changing out whatever parts, like fuel injections, etc. that will do the trick. Anyway, I was running this race and I had a bad start and had trouble getting past some people, and by the time I was in second, the lead car was pretty far ahead, but then I noticed that the lead car wasn't a car, but a huge tractor trailer. I thought, if I can just get close enough to turn on the physics, he'll crash. Sure enough, half-way through the last lap we get to an "S" turn, and it was the first time I've ever seen the AI actually flip over. It was awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS