Picking and Sticking with a Username

I swap usernames like I swap undies and I really want to establish some kind of online presence. I don't mean like a streamer or content creator, but I want to get out of my shell a little and start getting more social in games and online.

I keep going back and forth between username types, if you will:
  • "Character" usernames, like D&D names, etc. Something made up that sounds realish, like: Darro, Cleneran, Kaldax, etc.
  • "Traditional" usernames like: InterestingOrange, Tombscar, Gunmold, IceMamba, etc.

Which do you think works better? Obviously, it's my choice in the end but I'm curious if there's a consensus opinion.

I have a weird obsession with making a name fit all of my interests but that seems completely unreasonable and narrowminded. I imagine that's part of the reason why it's so hard for me to pick a name and stick with it. One week/month I'm super into Star Wars and want a Star Wars name; the next month I'm headlong into Warhammer 40k and want a brutal chaos name; a month later I'm into RTS and strategy games and want a cool sounding commander/war name; and so on.

I'm tired of all the name swapping though and I really want to make an earnest attempt at making a name and sticking with it, so any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Given your description maybe try to avoid things that you're into recently. Because they could be a fad that you'll get tired of quickly.

Instead maybe try picking things that you've enjoyed consistenly for a few years (or more..)
Or alternatively pick a name you don't hate and then just stick with it, which is how I got my current nick!

To be honest any of your "traditional" usernames seem fine, assuming they have some kind of meaning for you.

Given your description maybe try to avoid things that you're into recently. Because they could be a fad that you'll get tired of quickly.

Instead maybe try picking things that you've enjoyed consistenly for a few years (or more..)
Or alternatively pick a name you don't hate and then just stick with it, which is how I got my current nick!

To be honest any of your "traditional" usernames seem fine, assuming they have some kind of meaning for you.
Can't agree more with this. Pick a name that describes yourself more than what you play, as what we play can change over time.

pick a name you don't hate and then just stick with it, which is how I got my current nick
Oh… We all thought you lost a bet.

making a name fit all of my interests
You don't have to have just one name. I have 3 main online names—BB for gaming, another for tech, and a third for more general use like YouTube etc. I fell into that more by accident than design—my first name was taken at a forum I wanted to join—but it's worked out just fine.

That said, otherwise @Hitobat's advice is the way to go. Perhaps based on something significant to your family or location in historical, geographical or cultural terms.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan
I prefer traditional usernames too rather than fantasy ones. I find them more memorable and therefore they mean more to me.

Other than that I generally try to see what my immediate reaction is from reading it.

I don't really like my current username but I've had it since 2003 and it's kind of stuck.

If I had to pick a new username now, I wouldn't have any idea what to pick. I was never any good at it, same applies to character names. Every game would get variations on same names. I only took this after playing same character in a game for 3 years.
its unique, the only other instances of my name online are the name of a drug.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Best advice? Take a game series you like and pick a name of character from it. Just don't take those obvious because surely they'll be already used on most sites. You can also add some special characters or numbers for it. Sarafan is sometimes used when I register on different sites, so I also use Sarafan_ and S4rafan for example.

You can also use some random name. I'm quite good when thinking random fantasy names. It requires a little creativity, but they're usually unique. Just don't get something that people will have difficulties in reading. In the past I also used Elevrilnar, but it was so hard to spell for everyone that I returned to my first nickname - Sarafan. :)

Best advice? Take a game series you like and pick a name of character from it. Just don't take those obvious because surely they'll be already used on most sites. You can also add some special characters or numbers for it. Sarafan is sometimes used when I register on different sites, so I also use Sarafan_ and S4rafan for example.

You can also use some random name. I'm quite good when thinking random fantasy names. It requires a little creativity, but they're usually unique. Just don't get something that people will have difficulties in reading. In the past I also used Elevrilnar, but it was so hard to spell for everyone that I returned to my first nickname - Sarafan. :)
What is Sara from?

Reactions: Pifanjr
I've had this name for over 20 years. Never met another Zimbaly thank god. Pick a name that you like or make one up that sounds good to you..... or even pick one based on a game ya play.... or take a name of a character or even name ya like and change it up. That's how I got Zimbaly in the first place.

I use to play movie battle 2 and in that game I was NotSoAmazingPantlessWookie.

When I played Tour of Duty and Revolt I was the sapper class and I used Special-Delivery.

Played Wolfenstein ET and used the name LOAD"*",8,1

(y)

I've had this name for over 20 years. Never met another Zimbaly thank god. Pick a name that you like or make one up that sounds good to you..... or even pick one based on a game ya play.... or take a name of a character or even name ya like and change it up. That's how I got Zimbaly in the first place.

I use to play movie battle 2 and in that game I was NotSoAmazingPantlessWookie.

When I played Tour of Duty and Revolt I was the sapper class and I used Special-Delivery.

Played Wolfenstein ET and used the name LOAD"*",8,1

(y)
LOAD"*",8,1 is a great one. Never thought of that.

Reactions: Sarafan
It's more about the avatar than the name, anyway!
I think it's annoying when people keep changing their profile pics.

Agreed. I rely on avatars quite a lot to identify people online, so if someone suddenly changes to a different avatar it can be jarring. Though if someone changes their avatar regularly but sticks to one theme I can work with that.

If I had to pick a new username now, I wouldn't have any idea what to pick. I was never any good at it, same applies to character names. Every game would get variations on same names. I only took this after playing same character in a game for 3 years.
its unique, the only other instances of my name online are the name of a drug.

I didn't even come up with my own username, I just stuck jr. at the end of someone else's.

I have one alternative name I sometimes use for character names, which was created when I needed to name a character in a GameBoy Advance game and just mashed the buttons with my eyes closed.

I also struggle with this, an have recently settled with my current name now. It's just some made up nonsense to sound quite Viking/Dwarf like. Originally it was CemeteryBlooms from a song that I don't even like, I just thought it sounded cool.

My problem is I hate liking a name then it's already taken or having to use numbers for it, so I try to find something original. My problem now is name I use tends to have too many characters and I'm stuck with working out how to shorten it.

I always feel like a fresh name and account, has that new start appeal and I'll play one game at a time all the way through and do all the extra missions and explore it for all of its content but that does die off and find myself repeating the cycle again.

I also struggle with this, an have recently settled with my current name now. It's just some made up nonsense to sound quite Viking/Dwarf like. Originally it was CemeteryBlooms from a song that I don't even like, I just thought it sounded cool.

My problem is I hate liking a name then it's already taken or having to use numbers for it, so I try to find something original. My problem now is name I use tends to have too many characters and I'm stuck with working out how to shorten it.

I always feel like a fresh name and account, has that new start appeal and I'll play one game at a time all the way through and do all the extra missions and explore it for all of its content but that does die off and find myself repeating the cycle again.
You have a great name now. I'll bet you don't run into other people using it, do you?

TRENDING THREADS