PCG article links and discussions for February 2024

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

You would think Japan, with its love of mobile and console games, would be chock full of people with a bit of development experience, but based on this article and the article about it being a "miracle" that the game was made, it sounds like experienced developers are few and far between there.

Another problem is that only the Japanese speak Japanese, and they can't speak anything else. In Europe or the Americas, you can hire people from anywhere because so many people speak English.

Doesn't help Nintendo are using their influence to squash the studio. They couldn't stop game but they can stop people talking about it. Curious how I haven't seen updated sales figures since the 20 million was released. That was a week ago...
Sales have slowed down quite a bit, I think. But if this works the way other big early access releases have gone, the sales will steady out during early access, spike briefly for big updates, and then be out of this world when the game goes into full release.

it isn't any different. People just over reacted to something everyone else does.

Speaking of using other peoples appearance
I can't see that getting released, Steamboat might be fair game but I see other characters that are probably covered still.

"You know the definition of insanity? It's doing the same thing over and over—and getting away with it!"
22 COD games
39 Battlefield games

it seems insane repetition is popular with the kids. Go for it. It works for AAA companies, why not.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn Ubisoft might have that name already as its pretty easy misspell. Many companies try to cover names like that.

This is great news. I've been quietly working away on Cry Far with a small team. Our first release will have a mad hero Saav and the tag line "You know the definition of insanity? It's doing the same thing over and over—and getting away with it!"
What great news are you talking about? As you're aware, your idea would be immediately taken down by Ubisoft. I just don't see where anyone in this thread suggested that idea would be okay.

But here's some great news. We noticed it too, as that's exactly why we started the demo thread:

Last edited:
This is great news. I've been quietly working away on Cry Far with a small team. Our first release will have a mad hero Saav and the tag line "You know the definition of insanity? It's doing the same thing over and over—and getting away with it!"
I would have called it Car Fry... might have not been taken by Ubisoft
If you made it a smash up derby game they wouldn't have any legs to stand on.

I will be waiting for the demo :)

It's surprising to me that AI chips are already being integrated into consumer hardware when there's no good use case for AI for consumers as far as I can see. At least no use cases that would warrant adding a specific piece of hardware.
There are plenty of use cases when you consider a lot of PCs are used for work. And having it on your own PCs gives a false sense of privacy over using it in the cloud, but I'm sure one of the primary purposes of AI is actually personal data collection.

latest Intel & AMD laptop CPU have AI cores. So the number of devices with those cores is likely to grow in the next 3 years.

Win 11 2402 will use features of the AI cores. But its not necessary to have a CPU with the cores to use Win 11 2402, it just won't let you use the features

latest Intel & AMD laptop CPU have AI cores. So the number of devices with those cores is likely to grow in the next 3 years.

Win 11 2402 will use features of the AI cores. But its not necessary to have a CPU with the cores to use Win 11 2402, it just won't let you use the features
And AI cores are going into laptops first because that's what companies give their employees these days.

There are plenty of use cases when you consider a lot of PCs are used for work. And having it on your own PCs gives a false sense of privacy over using it in the cloud, but I'm sure one of the primary purposes of AI is actually personal data collection.

I suppose something like AI powered noise cancellation for meetings, as well as background blurring, could be useful both for businesses and for private use.

Reactions: ZedClampet
I suppose something like AI powered noise cancellation for meetings, as well as background blurring, could be useful both for businesses and for private use.

I would have called it Car Fry

Kaamos already grabbed that idea, and commissioned Zed to work on it—a mashup of Forza and Diner Dash ;)

It's surprising to me that AI chips are already being integrated into consumer hardware when there's no good use case for AI for consumers as far as I can see

Just as a generalization, isn't it likely that the coming 5G-powered IoT will benefit from devices being able to 'talk' to each other?

Reactions: Pifanjr

Three huge hits so far on PC in 2023, and none of them are on the Epic store. What are they even doing over there? They don't have to be exclusives. They can't convince people to just add their games to the store? Granted, the additional sales would be very low, and it would just be another site to maintain for the developers, but if they want to be competitive, they are going to have to get these games in their system. Going after niche indies and making them exclusives is not a winning formula when you don't have any of the biggest games. Congrats on getting a horror game, Alan Wake 2, I guess.

Just as a generalization, isn't it likely that the coming 5G-powered IoT will benefit from devices being able to 'talk' to each other?

My wife's work uses it to rewrite blog posts and to create images for newletters and reports. I don't know what else they use it for, but I'm sure there are other things.

I'm sure AI must be used fairly extensively already, because I can't imagine they're putting AI chips in most computers if there was no indication people were using the existing AI applications. I've just not really heard or seen much of it myself.

Are single player games dying?

I dont think so, its 90% of what I play and I dont exactly have a shortage of really good games to get through. I'll be starting Armored Core 6 soon, can't wait. Lies of P is a really good game I'm still working though, and I'm playing Dredge still. I even considered picking up Immortal of Aveum on a deep sale because I enjoy a big dumb shooter campaign.

I'd be really interested to see demographics of people who buy single player games though, both indies and big budget ones. Are as many younger people buying single player games anymore or are they mostly about free to play multiplayer, and not moving on from that as they hit their 20's and older?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts