Question Opinions on LaunchBox? A Retro(?) Game launcher.

So I found this actually a while back, while looking for things like an alternative launcher for games, rather than steam, and I was just looking to see what was out there, and I found this:

Your Frontend for Everything
LaunchBox was originally built as an attractive frontend for DOSBox, but has long since expanded to support both modern PC games and emulated console platforms. LaunchBox aims to be the one-stop shop for gaming on your computer, for both modern and historical games.

Not only does LaunchBox automatically download box art for your games, it also grabs beautiful fanart, screenshots, logos, and more, creating a surprisingly immersive experience. Check out some eye candy below:

LaunchBox-Screenshot-Nintendo-64.jpg

LaunchBox-Screenshot-NES.jpg

LaunchBox-Screenshot-GameCube.jpg

So, any thoughts about using this thing to play "retro games"
I think it offers a lot of features too. for free.

but they have a premium version that has some dedicated features for "custom arcade cabinets & home theaters" which costs 30 bucks...

so any thoughts about this in relation to retro games??
It can also actually launch any game too like steam which is pretty useful for managing game libraries as an alternative. ⚙

oh, and also they also have a launcher for android too on their website.

Last edited:
I used this a long time ago for all of my modern games and some retro ones. But it seems like these launchers have some issues that make it easier to just use your Steam client, etc. So I ended up ditching it. One problem is that if you have multiple Steam profiles, you can't choose which one you want to use from things like LaunchBox. Another problem is that I think it opens your client. I know that happens with Ubisoft, and I think it does with Steam, too. I haven't looked at it in a long time, though, so maybe the features are better now.

In my opinion from my experience with it, it would probably be a good solution for your retro, emulated games, but not for modern games that use a client. I am interested in the paid cabinet features, though. I might have to look into that as a possible solution for my arcade cabinet if I choose to ditch RetroPie and go with PC. RetroPie is awesome and a very cheap solution, but it has some problems. It's much more of a pain to customize, for one thing. And I can't get it to support my trackball for another.

When I was researching launchers a couple of years ago, I looked at LaunchBox and Photon before settling for Playnite and mostly GOG Galaxy. Here's a post about it—with a bunch of links to articles etc—from last year:

This should be useful for potential LaunchBox users:

I used this a long time ago for all of my modern games and some retro ones. But it seems like these launchers have some issues that make it easier to just use your Steam client, etc. So I ended up ditching it. One problem is that if you have multiple Steam profiles, you can't choose which one you want to use from things like LaunchBox. Another problem is that I think it opens your client. I know that happens with Ubisoft, and I think it does with Steam, too. I haven't looked at it in a long time, though, so maybe the features are better now.

In my opinion from my experience with it, it would probably be a good solution for your retro, emulated games, but not for modern games that use a client. I am interested in the paid cabinet features, though. I might have to look into that as a possible solution for my arcade cabinet if I choose to ditch RetroPie and go with PC. RetroPie is awesome and a very cheap solution, but it has some problems. It's much more of a pain to customize, for one thing. And I can't get it to support my trackball for another.
huh, interesting note on that retroPie has a learning curve to use it. 🤔
also you mean by "open your client" it has to launch steam itself and other launchers right?

also side question, what games do you play with a trackball? 😁

When I was researching launchers a couple of years ago, I looked at LaunchBox and Photon before settling for Playnite and mostly GOG Galaxy. Here's a post about it—with a bunch of links to articles etc—from last year:

This should be useful for potential LaunchBox users:
thanks for these topics, I might also take a look at GOG galaxy as a potential launcher, and of course, all of these launchers have their own pros and cons after all. 😉

Reactions: Brian Boru
huh, interesting note on that retroPie has a learning curve to use it. 🤔
also you mean by "open your client" it has to launch steam itself and other launchers right?

also side question, what games do you play with a trackball? 😁
Actually, RetroPie is very easy to use. It's just hard to deal with if you need to customize something. You have to remember that it's Linux-based. But if you don't need to customize anything, it's really easy to just use. And after you put in the investment of setting it up, it's great.

As for the trackball, I'm using my Raspberry Pi with RetroPie to power my arcade cabinet. So I have all the old arcade games on there. The main one you need a trackball for would be Centipede. There are others, but that's the most well-known one.

Actually, RetroPie is very easy to use. It's just hard to deal with if you need to customize something. You have to remember that it's Linux-based. But if you don't need to customize anything, it's really easy to just use. And after you put in the investment of setting it up, it's great.

As for the trackball, I'm using my Raspberry Pi with RetroPie to power my arcade cabinet. So I have all the old arcade games on there. The main one you need a trackball for would be Centipede. There are others, but that's the most well-known one.
ah I see thanks for the explanation, so you'd use the trackball mostly for the most classic arcade style experience. (of games that support it) 😁

Reactions: WoodenSaucer

TRENDING THREADS