Hogwarts Legacy Discussion

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Have you tried DLSS or any of that jazz in Witcher or elsewhere? Interested to know how you feel about it as someone who leans towards fidelity rather than performance.
I did, back when W3 first released in December when I was tweaking various options to get an acceptable balance of frame rate to graphics. When I switched DLSS off and went to FSR2, my frame rate was noticeably smoother. I may try switching back on at some point, as it seems like the opposite should be true. There're so many options that a player can tweak and no "mouse roll over" information on any of the options, so I was kind of blundering around in the dark, but I was determined to keep all RT options on. I think you read my last post over in the W3 thread, and how turning off the Steam overlay game me a huge performance boost.

I did, back when W3 first released in December when I was tweaking various options to get an acceptable balance of frame rate to graphics. When I switched DLSS off and went to FSR2, my frame rate was noticeably smoother. I may try switching back on at some point, as it seems like the opposite should be true. There're so many options that a player can tweak and no "mouse roll over" information on any of the options, so I was kind of blundering around in the dark, but I was determined to keep all RT options on. I think you read my last post over in the W3 thread, and how turning off the Steam overlay game me a huge performance boost.
Sorry, I read a lot of stuff everyday and my brain is slow to cross reference :)

30-50 FPS with FSR on, ouch! Those ultra plus settings with RT are brutal.

Feb 13, 2023
Visit site
This game is amazing. Enjoyed to play everyday starting from February 7.

Graphics and visual effects are everything.

If you even hadn't read about HP or Hogwarts, you can make your own history ;)

Hard to believe, but I've only just found out about the existence of the game.... I guess that's what happens when you go away for a month to a country without reliable internet...
Admittedly, I think I've heard the term "Hogwarts Legacy" once or twice before, at the end of 2022, but I didn't realise that it was a game - even an open-world game!
So it's Christmas for me again today! Yay! I'm downloading it right now and I can hardly wait. I think the last time I was this excited was when I played BoUT 2.

I‘m two hours in now and I‘m loving it! I‘m still getting settled into Hogwarts (just arrived in Hogsmeade for those who are further in the game) and man, they did an awesome job!
Now, I know how Harry and Ron must have felt, when they both got totally lost on their way to classes in the first year… This map is just incredible!
I‘m glad my laptop just meets the minimum of requirements to actually run the game. And its still a beautiful game!

One of the steam reviews also mentioned that you are able to pet cats… I can confirm that. I feel like I‘ve spent half my play time just petting them because they look so adorable and they are everywhere in the school… :hearteyecat:

It's twice as good as Journey. :)

It depends… For me it‘s hard to compare those two games as they both are fantastic worlds for themselves.
I think Hogwarts Legacy managed to take the magical world to a level where its not necessary anymore to have read the books or have watched the movies, and I like this feature a lot.
In Hogwarts, there‘s so much detail and space to discover and explore, while for Journey, it is the whole way and experience which makes the game absolutely unique. They set completely different focusses and I appreciate that. After all, I‘m not only a Potterhead but a Sky kid, too :giggle:

Professor Garlick. She can conjure food.
I‘m looking forward to meet her. :) So far I love all the characters of the game!

I‘m two hours in now and I‘m loving it! I‘m still getting settled into Hogwarts (just arrived in Hogsmeade for those who are further in the game) and man, they did an awesome job!
Now, I know how Harry and Ron must have felt, when they both got totally lost on their way to classes in the first year… This map is just incredible!
I‘m glad my laptop just meets the minimum of requirements to actually run the game. And its still a beautiful game!

One of the steam reviews also mentioned that you are able to pet cats… I can confirm that. I feel like I‘ve spent half my play time just petting them because they look so adorable and they are everywhere in the school… :hearteyecat:

It depends… For me it‘s hard to compare those two games as they both are fantastic worlds for themselves.
I think Hogwarts Legacy managed to take the magical world to a level where its not necessary anymore to have read the books or have watched the movies, and I like this feature a lot.
In Hogwarts, there‘s so much detail and space to discover and explore, while for Journey, it is the whole way and experience which makes the game absolutely unique. They set completely different focusses and I appreciate that. After all, I‘m not only a Potterhead but a Sky kid, too :giggle:

I‘m looking forward to meet her. :) So far I love all the characters of the game!
I never finished Journey. Just meant nothing to me. I'm not into pop philosophy.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Good game this. Reminds me of the original games I played with my son over a decade ago and they have the school feel spot on.
Just got to level 15 and finally have some "talents", or skills, to allocate, lots to collect and side quests to keep you going. The game world also looks huge.

It set my graphics to low but putting it up to high across the board seems to work fine so I may check out ultra.

I've completely sunken into the game the last few days. Yesterday, I finished the main quest line and all I can say is that I enjoyed this game more than any other open world I've tried out before (which aren't that many, but it definitely beats Horizon Zero Dawn by now).
I normally play open world games on an on/off basis, which means I play them for half an hour / hour to distract me a little or to just have some relaxing time, but I don't really pay a big attention to the ongoing main story. However, this game got me hooked from the beginning. Well, to be honest... and as I might have said before too, I am a huge fan of the Hogwarts universe and I'd say I grew up with it almost the same as my dad grew up with the Rolling Stones. To be able to sink into my favourite dream world without any feelable boundaries and being able to experience the wizarding world through my own character's eyes really lifted my heart and I felt again like the child, who heard the audio books for her first time and instantly fell in love with every spoken word.
That being said... It also means that I am quite biased when it comes to reviewing it. I'd say that I mostly agree with the PCG review, especially its critique to the story developement:
As the stakes of Hogwarts Legacy's story get higher, it becomes disinterested in cozy, comforting school life. Developing in the background of my wizard's first days of class is a mysterious ancient magic that apparently only I can wield and a goblin rebellion that eventually becomes impossible to ignore. More quests started dragging me out into the highlands, where everything wants to kill me, even when I really just wanted to hang with my buds. By the latter half of the story, student hijinks are replaced by grim wizarding warfare—the same bestie who snuck into the library with me in the first act of the story is eventually raiding mines and slaying goblins, spiders, and poachers with me by the dozens.
So one of my big wishes for a DLC would actually be a school focused DLC... For example to prepare and absolve the seventh grade N.E.W.Ts?
It was one of the biggest bummer for me, that the O.W.L.s were just a cutscene in the end. I would have loved to be actually tested in all the different subjects at Hogwarts!

Oct 19, 2022
Visit site
Finished today and was a bit surprised at a few things at the end. Enjoyed this playthrough and from other online comments it sounds like another playthrough in a different house could be worthwhile.

I held off from the last MQ as I was still in winter. Not sure why they coded the seasons this way but Winter is the end of term 1 and start of 2 in the UK, so the end of winter was the end game which was too early!!! OWL's should have been early summer. Might seem a small point but it confused me and I felt just wasn't right.

Overall though really enjoyed the game and have a few post MQ hours sunk in just exploring.

TRENDING THREADS