experiences from 1080 to 1440 monitors?

As previously mentioned i have my eye on a new monitor but i'm just wondering whether its worth investing and would having a bigger screen really benefit me and whether its opening my up to certain disadvantages or things i haven't considered moving up from 1920x1080 to a 2560 x 1440 monitor . What's your experiences with upgrading?

To clarify i want to get the Dell G2724D (https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...24d/apd/210-bhtk/monitors-monitor-accessories) and i still don't know why i 'm having second thoughts just claiming my free 27" 1440 ips monitor. I feel like i'm standing on the edge and making a big decision in my life that means more decisions and greater commitments.

Firstly, a bigger monitor means more demand on my aging GPU and whilst i don't game on ultra settings, the increased resolution is no joke. i mean serious gamers are saying that 24" is the sweet spot for the 1080range which isn't that far from 21" of my monitor. getting the measurements and I'm not entirely convinced its worth the investment. might have to go and buy another graphics card and looking at current prices its seriously expensive and the gains aren't all that hot. The alternative is to play at 1080 but apparently that resolution on that size monitor is a bad thing and i have to play in window mode of sorts.

Secondly, the power demands means more electrical bills (that said was my VH222H really that more efficient?. Thirdly with monitors its an unknown quality of the monitor. opinion so far is that its good, but...you know.

thirdly the future. Apparently 4k resolutions are probably the way forward and in which case, why invest in a 1440 monitor when i could wait until the last second and bag an affordable 4k monitor with who knows what future features?

Fourth, its an unnecessary purchase. My current monitor is fine. But on the other hand, the vouchers expire in december. use em or lose em.

I say get the monitor, because reasons:

- The Asus page for your current monitor says its 55W, typical power use, according to the specs for the 1440 Dell youre looking at says 55W.

- 27 inch is really nice when you've been using a smaller monitor, I went from 21 to 24 and it barely felt different. 24 to 27 somehow felt massive in a good way.

- Your 1070 might struggle at Ultra 1440 AAA, but it can surely manage OK in most stuff with lowered settings.

- You may find that your new monitor looks OK using 1080, apparently some handle the scaling better than others and whether thats a problem is subjective, some people do it and are fine with it. There arent any black bars or anything weird, for me it just looks blurrier than native resolution because its not 1:1 with the pixels.

- Its a free monitor, if you dont like it sell it and go back to the old or get a 1080p one.

- 4K is nice if you have the card for it, personally I'll probably be sticking with 1440 for a few years yet as it still looks great to me and I dont need a really expensive top end GPU to use it properly.

-Owning a gaming PC is unnecessary, give yourself a present.

serious gamers are saying that 24" is the sweet spot for the 1080range

Does NOT matter what anyone else says, don't be influenced. I strongly urge you to physically visit friends or stores with the resolutions and sizes you're considering, and spend a few minutes using them.

This stuff is very subjective, everyone's eyes are different. Eg I'm very happy with my 2 x 42" TVs @ 1080p! I'd never have got near that setup if I listened to the experts or serious people :)

So yeah, find out what works for YOU.

27inch 4k is too small. (personal experience).

I went from 1080p to 4k back to 2k again...

I got a 4k monitor for Birthday one year and at time there weren't many GPU that could run 4k 60hz so that was a waste. I never really noticed it was 4k as windows will run 150% scale on desktop to replicate 2k. 4k icons are just too small.

Getting a monitor that matches your GPU abilities is better than buying something to grow into. Buying something too big can just be a waste of time.

I downgraded to a 2k screen as GPU couldn't really run 4k until recently. Then my 2070 Super couldn't run this 2k screen at max speed but at least it could do 100fps at 1440p. Its only now I have a card that can do 144hz (though it seems most games end at 135). It could do 4k 60hz ultra settings but it is seven years too late.

All my screens have been getting bigger. 24inch would feel like a postage stamp to me, but I don't play shooters. I don't need Ultra fast screens, 500hz at 1080p isn't my dream monitor. Ultra low weight mice also don't appeal to me for same reasons.

Current screen is 32inch, and coming from 27inch, it took me a while to adjust to the extra screen space... I still mostly use bottom right of monitor to put browser window in. Only things that run full screen are games.

Last edited:
I still mostly use bottom right of monitor to put browser window in. Only things that run full screen are games

That's another consideration, how you use your screen(s). I run most of my apps full-screen since multi-tasking is sub-optimal from a productivity and quality POV. But really it's half-screen, since I have 2 screens, so I usually have a second app open in screen 2.

Reactions: ZedClampet
There are only a few windows programs I would run in full screen. You can't really see all the info in some screens without going full screen - for example:
399oQJv.jpg

But for the most part, I don't need it. Excel for instance, can show enough cells that its starting to show AAA as a label as its shown all the alphabet already. Only spreadsheet I use doesn't go that far across. Word will display two pages (this depends on view settings) across screen if I let it. Browsers just show so much blank white space... whats that? oh that is where the ads should be... hmm

I normally have a browser on right side and discord on left. I am used to it that way, I can't remember how long I used 2 things side by side. Only difference now is I can also see the background behind them as I don't even use the pre determined layouts windows offers.

many thanks for your input guys. i tried to buy the monitor and it turns out that i can't deduct it below £100 so i can't just walk away with a free monitor... bah. Now to think and decide whether i really do need a new monitor for £100... My currennt monitor was like 115 back in the day.
You should go somewhere and look at a 27 inch monitor running in 1080p to see if that would be okay to you since I don't think your 1070 is going to run acceptably in 2k without dumbing down the graphics significantly, meaning that many games are going to look worse at 2k than at 1k with graphics options set higher.

You should go somewhere and look at a 27 inch monitor running in 1080p to see if that would be okay to you since I don't think your 1070 is going to run acceptably in 2k without dumbing down the graphics significantly, meaning that many games are going to look worse at 2k than at 1k with graphics options set higher.

This was my biggest concern. when it rains, it pours. i did think about getting a 27" 1080 monitor but the general consensus is that its not good. 24" is the right mark.

The thought occurs that its better to have a 1440 supported monitor and play in 1080 and see if that helps or hope there is a way to play in windowed mode/reduced size and get away with that, but i suspect its making the best of a bad situation. Someday i'm going to need to replace that graphics card and i'm holding off as my 1070 will suffice for pretty much everything in my steam collection. But perhaps its probably because i was playing in 1920x1080.

Size definitely matters. On my 17 inch laptop screen, 2k is completely worthless and just gets me lower FPS. 720p looks bad, but 1k and 2k are indistinguishable to me. I guess 1k could look poor on a 27 inch monitor if you are sitting close to it. If that's what everyone says, it's probably true, but also is going to depend on how close you are, which for PC gamers is usually pretty close.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts