December 2023 General Discussion Thread

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Looked that way yesterday, but today it looks like they have different plans this year, as I posted earlier in the FG thread—next freebie in a week.
You’re right, looks like I made a mistake. The articles I read about it was a little confusing with the wording to me. I thought the daily free games started yesterday!

Free daily games actually start Tuesday December 19th, those games will only have 24hrs to redeem. Resident freebie poster @Brian Boru will keep us updated👍

I need to get on this at some point. My friend bought it for me last week or so and I had intended to jump on with him and some other buddies after the kids were in bed, but then my oldest had a migraine and that took precedence; since then, I haven't had a chance to sit down and it looks like aside from that one session, my friends haven't played anymore.

I picked-up Dredge on a whim the other night and really enjoyed myself. Ended-up putting 2.5 hours in between after dinner and bed time, which is a rarity for me, especially considering I didn't think it would stick much for me back when it initially came out earlier this year. Haven't had much of a chance to go back to it yet, but played a little bit here and there; unfortunately, I'm already beginning to feel a little overwhelmed with all the little tasks to do, all my upgrades and generally what I ought to be doing. Trying to push passed those feelings though and keep enjoying the game.
Lethal Company can be harsh to beginners. We played with one of my daughter's friends the other night, and she died 9 missions in a row. I suggest either researching the monsters (if you can find anyone who actually has good info) before playing or just paying careful attention whenever you come across one. Attacking by yourself is very nearly never the right solution. Even the smallish bugs will kill you.

We do extremely well. Here are my tips and suggestions, avoiding as many spoilers as possible:

Take turns having someone who doesn't stay in the dungeon very long before they start carrying everyone's stuff back to the ship. This person should survive at all costs and should stay on the ship watching the monitor if it gets too dangerous outside. Someone needs to survive every mission if you are trying for a long run, and if this person somehow dies, everyone else needs to immediately try to make it back to the ship.

The game is scarier using the in-game proximity chat. The game is easier using Discord.

Always use your scanner before entering a room unless you've already been there or are running for your life.

At least to start, try not to go to moons that are having any type of weather event. I'd say they are a good way to make lots of money, but most teams die on, for instance, eclipsed planets. They are an exponential difficulty spike. If you die on normal planets, you'll definitely die on these.

When it's time to sell, just sell enough to make the quota unless you need a little more money for high tier moon access or teleporters.

If your team doesn't stay together in the dungeons (like we don't) then weapons are pretty useless, and I wouldn't waste money on them. Most of the really dangerous monsters require one person to stun them and another person to hit them repeatedly with a shovel. Without weapons, you can learn to avoid/dodge pretty much everything.

The advantage to not sticking together is covering vastly more space much more quickly, which means more treasure. The disadvantage should be obvious. Use your best judgment.

Once you get reasonably comfortable with the game and have enough money, buy access to the extra dangerous moons. If you have a teleporter, teleport your best player. They'll end up knee deep in the dungeon. They'll have no idea where they are, but it will save a lot of time. It's pretty much all about time.

If you've finished a decent amount of missions and you suddenly hear "Pop Goes the Weasel", you have about 20 seconds to find the exit or you are toast. Even people who didn't hear it (if you are playing over Discord, communicate) need to leave.

If you find a mask sitting around, pick it up and take it back to your ship, but make sure no one puts it on or even just holds it for too long.

Any other monster advice would contain spoilers for some really cool things, so I'll just let you figure those out yourself.

Last edited:
Have no idea what's going on with Steam. They suddenly gave me a $43.70 credit and took Total War Pharaoh away from Guido. My attempt to give it back to him failed because it sent duplicate notices.

I got two emails from their support team. One said that Guido had never accepted my gift of the game so they were refunding me. Another said that there had been a price change in the game so they were refunding me. I just sent them a support ticket and asked for someone to look at it and explain it to me.

Have no idea what's going on with Steam. They suddenly gave me a $43.70 credit and took Total War Pharaoh away from Guido. My attempt to give it back to him failed because it sent duplicate notices.

I got two emails from their support team. One said that Guido had never accepted my gift of the game so they were refunding me. Another said that there had been a price change in the game so they were refunding me. I just sent them a support ticket and asked for someone to look at it and explain it to me.

A lot of people were mad that Total War: Pharaoh was more expensive than their Saga games used to be and apparently CA decided to lower the price and refund the difference to people who already bought it.

A lot of people were mad that Total War: Pharaoh was more expensive than their Saga games used to be and apparently CA decided to lower the price and refund the difference to people who already bought it.
Okay, so that money is actually mine then. Nice. Thanks.

By the way, the various Chaos Warrior factions in TWW3 are really fun to play if you haven't tried them yet. I'm just bringing it up because I've been playing them the last two days and having a blast.

Also, I highly recommend the mod "Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords" since it's more fun with with all these guys leading your armies. It does make the game slightly easier, but not by a lot.

I find this kind of funny. We're playing Medieval Dynasty, which is sort of a first person survival/rpg/colony sim. We had built an extra house and some workstations, and we were out and about and found this woman sitting by a fire just off the road. I went up and talked to her. I said we were founding a new town, and she interrupted me with "Say no more! I've been hoping for an opportunity like this! I'm in!"

She then walks no more than 10 feet in the direction of our settlement before she starts complaining about the conditions. Every single thing that has come out of her mouth, and she talks a lot, is a complaint. We've given her a house, a job and all the food and drink she can consume, and she's still constantly whining. It's so over-the-top that it's actually getting pretty funny.

I'm not sure how many more of these citizens I can take.

She then walks no more than 10 feet in the direction of our settlement before she starts complaining about the conditions. Every single thing that has come out of her mouth, and she talks a lot, is a complaint. We've given her a house, a job and all the food and drink she can consume, and she's still constantly whining. It's so over-the-top that it's actually getting pretty funny.

Over the top? Sounds just like my mother.

Been meaning to try that game out, but haven't had that itch yet for another survival game. But that one just seems cool and is perpetually on my wishlist.

Over the top? Sounds just like my mother.

Been meaning to try that game out, but haven't had that itch yet for another survival game. But that one just seems cool and is perpetually on my wishlist.
I almost bought it many times before finally getting it, and so far I'm glad I did. Game doesn't explain anything, so you have to either experiment or look things up.

Ubisoft is shutting down the servers for The Crew (part 1). It will be delisted from the stores today.

The game was launched on Dec 2nd, 2014.
The game will be playable until Mar 31st, 2024.

Source: https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/...s/mOR3tviszkxfeQCUKxhOV/an-update-on-the-crew

The Crew 2 was released on Jun 29th, 2018.
The Crew Motorfest was released on Sept 14th, 2023.
More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crew_(video_game)
Thanks for the heads up.

I unlocked the ability to build a car in Fortnite LEGO, but quickly discovered that both car wheels and rocket thrusters don't drop their components when you destroy them. Since they're kind of expensive to make, I didn't want to experiment in our survival game, so I started a sandbox world with my kid and spend like 2 hours making cars and flying around in rocket powered hot air balloons. I'm not sure my kid will want to go back to survival after this.

Okay, so that money is actually mine then. Nice. Thanks.

By the way, the various Chaos Warrior factions in TWW3 are really fun to play if you haven't tried them yet. I'm just bringing it up because I've been playing them the last two days and having a blast.

Also, I highly recommend the mod "Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords" since it's more fun with with all these guys leading your armies. It does make the game slightly easier, but not by a lot.

I've used that mod, but I prefer to play the campaign in TW: Warhammer and it feels too weird having every other legendary lord tag along.

I think I'll try out Shogun 2 next time I get the itch for a Total War game though. It's often mentioned as (one of) the best Total War games.

Very disappointed in Valve's customer service. They took away the game Total War Pharoah from Guido's account, saying he didn't accept the gift (we've already played the campaign twice), and there was an error trying to send it back to him, and I didn't receive an actual refund (the money they sent me was for the standard TWP refund--see above).

So there was no option in the Help section to deal with this, so I picked a random option and sent in a help ticket. They didn't even read it. Because there was no screenshot, they sent back a standard reply asking for a screenshot of the problem. So I sent them this:

full

If I have to track down a phone number for Valve, they and I will both regret it.

...with the rest, by that landmark you'd be better starting over… but another title.
Don't understand the response. Why would I be better off starting over with another title?

Edit: Oh, I've confused you. The game I was complaining about the boiled eggs was a different game called Farmer's Life. I've abandoned it. Medieval Dynasty is actually pretty good.

Last edited:
I think I'll try out Shogun 2 next time I get the itch for a Total War game though. It's often mentioned as (one of) the best Total War games.
The mod only gave me the other Chaos lords. As for Shogun 2, I thought it was okay, but nothing particularly special. Not sure what all the love is for. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Total War games. It's probably more fun in PvP because of all the ways you can disrupt the economy, but that doesn't help you any in singleplayer since the AI isn't impacted by the economy.

Last edited:
The mod only gave me the other Chaos lords.

Yeah, it just gives you the lords of the same race, but it still felt weird to me that another faction leader would join my faction after they were defeated by the AI (because most of the time they die before I even discover them). Also, it would make it less fun to start a new campaign with a different leader, though I must admit I haven't gotten around to playing a second campaign with a race I already completed the campaign with anyway.

The worst part however is that the AI also gets the option to recruit defeated legendary lords and I really disliked killing off an entire faction and then encountering their leader again later as part of another faction.

As for Shogun 2, I thought it was okay, but nothing particularly special. Not sure what all the love is for. I wouldn't put it in my top 5 Total War games. It's probably more fun in PvP because of all the ways you can disrupt the economy, but that doesn't help you any in singleplayer since the AI isn't impacted by the economy.

Would you recommend Troy over Shogun 2? Because I got that one for free too.

Total War Warhammer random question. I have a small itch to play a little TW Warhammer campaign again. Considering I didnt play any Mortal Empires and havent tried the Vortex campaigns for Tomb Kings, Skaven and some others, would you highly recommend I pick up the third game over just playing more 2 first?

Personally I would recommend sticking with the Vortex campaign of Warhammer 2, as I prefer it over the Chaos Realm campaign of Warhammer 3 and I don't really care about the (Im)mortal Empire campaign. Also, the QoL improvements in Warhammer 3 are nice enough that if you try going back to Warhammer 2 you'll probably miss them, so it's better to finish the content in 2 before starting 3, or at least the campaigns that are the most fun (so probably not the ones where you have to complete the ritual). I think for Skaven Snikch and Throt have a unique victory condition.

Total War Warhammer random question. I have a small itch to play a little TW Warhammer campaign again. Considering I didnt play any Mortal Empires and havent tried the Vortex campaigns for Tomb Kings, Skaven and some others, would you highly recommend I pick up the third game over just playing more 2 first?
Unlike @Pifanjr , I like the grand campaigns better than the story campaigns, but I also recommend getting as much out of 2 as you can before switching to 3 because it's unlikely you'll ever go back.

Would you recommend Troy over Shogun 2? Because I got that one for free too.
While admitting that most TW players would disagree with me (but most never played Troy after the huge update when it launched on Steam), I would nevertheless recommend Troy over Shogun 2. Troy has more strategy because of the resource system. Also has a very fun bartering mechanic. The map is more attractive, but both have a lot of water if you like that. There are more ways to play in Troy, including the option to go mythical and have things like Minotaurs and Hydras. Generally speaking, I just enjoy the ancient Greek atmosphere more.

@ZedClampet How is Lethal Company? I didnt get a response from you earlier unless you truly dont like it and dont want to ruin me playing it lol
Sorry. Somehow I missed that.

It's a lot of fun and very well made. It doesn't feel at all like an early access game. Playing with family makes it even better. We use Discord so we can talk all the time, but the game is a lot scarier if you use the in-game proximity chat, so whatever you feel like works best for you.

Each trip is procedurally generated, so even though there are only 8 moons, it never really feels like it gets stale. I highly recommend it.

Great article that gives explanation over what happened to the game industry this year, particularly all the layoffs that have occurred. It says that a lot of game companies took advantage of near-zero interest rates on investments, then when earlier this year those interest rates skyrocketed, it forced these companies to make some hard decisions. Really puts a light over some of the biggest events of this year in the industry. Very interesting read.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts