December 2023 General Discussion Thread

Store Sale Dates​

Steam: Steam VR Fest: Dec 4-11, Winter Sale: Dec 21 until Jan 4
Epic: The Game Awards Sale: Dec 7 to Dec 9, Holiday Sale: Dec 14 to Jan 4
GoG: Who knows? But here's a link to a PC Gamer article with GoG coupon codes for December

Coming to Game Pass​

Spirit of the North (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 1
SteamWorld Build (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 1
Clone Drone in the Danger Zone (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S) – December 5
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 5
While the Iron’s Hot (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 5
World War Z: Aftermath (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 5
Goat Simulator 3 (Cloud, PC, and Xbox Series X|S) – December 7
Tin Hearts (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 12
Far Cry 6 (Cloud, Console, and PC) – December 14

Top Game Launches (From PC Gamer)​

Other Notable Releases​

Last month’s list of notable games was useless because I let it be too long. Even I refused to look through it. So this month is much more curated, and I’ve also divided the games into categories. Also, there’s a joke in there based on stories published by PCG. Anyone who finds it gets praise (they always told me when I was in management that this is what people want the most, so perhaps you people-adjacents will find it desirable as well)

City Builder/Colony Sim/Engineering/Automation/Building/Design/​

Dec 1, City Builder, Strategy, Building

Dec 13, Early Access, City Builder, Colony Sim, Economy

Dec 14, Simulation, Design & Illustration, Building

Adventure/Horror/Point&Click​

Dec 1, Adventure, Comic Book, Horror

Dec 6, Demo Available, Horror, Psychological Horror

Dec 15, From Madmind Studio, Exploration, Psychological Horror, Horror

Action/Shooter/Hack&Slash/Action RPG/Fighter/Sports​

Dec 4, Action RPG, Open World, Isometric, Hack & Slash

Dec 5, Demo Available, Early Access, Sports, Racing

Dec 5, Action, Retro Shooter, Dystopian, FPS, Atmospheric

Dec 7, Early Access, Action RPG, Exploration, Historical, Hack & Slash

Dec 13, Early Access, PvP, Shooter, Simulation

Dec 14, 2D Fighter

Dec 14, Demo Available, Early Access, FPS, Roguelite, Western

Dec 15, Co-op, FPS, Strategy, Simulation

Simulation/Survival/Tycoon-Business/Management​

Dec 5, Simulation, Management

Dec 7, Calendar App

Dec 13, Crafting, Simulation, Economy, Management

Dec 14, Simulation, Strategy, Management, Economy

Strategy/Tactical/4X/RTS/Turn-Based​

Dec 5, Early Access, Multiplayer, Team Based, Strategy

Dec 5, Demo Available, Turn-based, Party-based, Comedy RPG

Dec 7, Owlcat, Turn-based, RPG, Choices Matter

Dec 7, Strategy, RTT, RTS

Dec 12, Demo Available, Strategy, RTT, Exploration

Dec 21, Early Access, Grand Strategy, RTS

Dec 21, Early Access, Strategy, RTS

Platformer/Metroidvania​

Dec 5, Story-rich, platformer

Dec 14, Metroidvania, Platformer

Dec 22, Metroidvania, Platformer

Other/Physics Comedy/Puzzle​

Dec 18, Physics Comedy, Building

The ones I'm most interested in (for various reasons--some I expect to be train wrecks) are:

Pioneers of Pagonia. The demo was fantastic. Very well done colony sim.

SteamWorld Build: I was curious about it, and it's on Game Pass, so I'll definitely give that one a try.

House Flipper 2: But I'm going to wait for a couple of years worth of DLC before I jump in because that's where most of the furniture comes from.

Paranoid: What happens when CDPR overworks their cleaning staff? They walk out and form their own game studio and immediately become one of the most controversial studios on Steam. I'm not going to buy the game. I'm just going to watch people's reactions. (Note: The part about the cleaning staff was a joke, but the animations in their first game led me to believe this was true.)

The Day Before: After their apocalyptic year, I want to see if this is really a game. I'm predicting Mostly Negative user reviews followed by the developer pulling the game from sale.

Booze Masters: I still don't know exactly what this is. Maybe user reviews can sort it out for me.

World Warfare & Economics: Never mind the boring name. This game seems too ambitious to actually exist. I've got to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
The only game I'm really interested in is Stargate: Timekeepers, as I loved the series. I'll have to see if I can find some time to try out the demo sometime soon.

Apart from that, Stellaris Nexus seems interesting as well. I like the Stellaris world-building, insofar it exists, and I'm intrigued about the idea of a 4X game you can play within 1 hour. I don't expect too much from the Early Access though.

My actual Stellaris game has been going pretty well so far. My pacifist, spiritual people have become xenophiles and I have about a dozen different species within my empire now. I've also recently unlocked the psionic abilities of my race, which sounds cool but I'm not entirely sure what the consequences will be. Furthermore, I've improved relations with my human neighbours, who no longer view me as their rivals and I've become part of a federation with 3 other empires, so I thought I was fairly secure. However, right before I stopped playing another federation declared war on my federation, so now I have to scramble to get some defences set up. Luckily they're mostly on the opposite side of the galaxy, but since I'm playing on a small galaxy I'm not sure how much that will help. Even if I survive I expect there won't be much left of the rest of my federation.

40K Rogue Trader has been on my wishlist for a while. Got a lot to look at CRPG wise before I get to it though.

Played a bit more Ruiner, really like the soundtrack and the shooting and movement is still fun. Also Alan Wake 2 now feels more like a Silent Hill, so back to the survival horror. Installed Lies of P and played half an hour or so as, I think I can get into this one. Might be the first Fromsoft clone that doesnt feel like a lesser imitation, at least from how it feels to move and fight in the first area.

Wartales is starting to feel like a bad grind. The trek back to a forge to get repaired is a bit of a slog, as usually my party can only manage 3 or 4 battles before a blacksmith is needed. Movement is pretty slow on the world map which doesnt help. Getting a little bored of the same enemy types, bit annoying to have to fight the same ghost animals all the time but I need the white leather to craft better weapons and armor. After 35 hours on the rubber band difficulty its a bit easy, so might be time to start another playthrough on normal difficulty to see if its more interesting again. Have a good idea of the systems now, so might work out better.

I agree with @Pifanjr there is not much listed here that catches my interest either outside of Stargate simply because i loved the Stargate movie/series (at least until they got rid of the dude that played mcgiver).

So today is a play of random games.

To start, i played the demo for The Age of Hell. Its like Diablo meets Classic Doom/Duke Nukem 3D. Its a good modern day boomer shooter (which has been full of amazing entries lately) that is worth playing if you have any interest in this genre. You wield a hammer like a gun and its fun. Its like you are the barbarian from diablo but in doom. The guns are cool but the hammer steals the show for me.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1779060/The_Age_of_Hell/

Next up is the Stargate demo. Im not too much of a fan of these RTTs outside of C&C, but im a stargate fan so i gave it a whirl. Id rather just play a Stargate FPS. I mean its such a fitting setting imo.

Lastly, and because it was with Humble, im playing a little of WWE 2k23. Its fun, i went in, did the tutorial, picked Cactus Jack (Mick Foley / Mankind) since he was my favorite wrestler back in the day and beat the crap out of John Cena lol.

If only I had known the consequences of success.
full

If only I'd taken sex education. I tried to go back to an old save, but it didn't work.

I was forced to continue this story from the old thread because @Brian Boru was desperate to hear more.

Whilst i'm literally at the final battle in yakuza 3 i'm taking the time to complete whatever side stuff to get an advantage. in yakuza kiwami 2 the final fight was a breeze as i was decked out with armor that autoblocked bullets, a charm that allowed heat gain to be instant, an unbreakable knife and to top it off i maxed out my skills so that once i hit heat mode i couldn't die if i had anything in the meter.

no such options in Y3 though. i can't craft a decent weapon, no game breaking gear without some seriously grindy tasks. I might lose patience and just go in with a whole load of healing items.

On other news, the POE league starts next friday and it looks to be a cracker. The league is fairly substantial and to top it off GGG are changing the meta. Great news to spice up the game. Not so great if you're not sure what class you want to play. i would like to play this one, but if i can't get a decent build sorted, consider this league a bust for stuff.

POE2 is also shaping up to be something interesting. The fact that you can switch from standard point and click to WASD keys for movement is interesting. The new class the mercenary will mean the game will play like a shooter instead.

Zloth

Community Contributor
SteamWorld Build: I was curious about it, and it's on Game Pass, so I'll definitely give that one a try.
Seems half city builder, half Dungeon Keeper. I wonder if they'll be able to pull it off. The Dear Villagers folks kicked one a Dungeon Keeper clone recently, too.
World Warfare & Economics: Never mind the boring name. This game seems too ambitious to actually exist. I've got to see it to believe it.
Trailer production values vs. ambition seems dubious to me. I'll be curious to see if they can pull it off.

Lastly, and because it was with Humble, im playing a little of WWE 2k23. Its fun, i went in, did the tutorial, picked Cactus Jack (Mick Foley / Mankind) since he was my favorite wrestler back in the day and beat the crap out of John Cena lol.
Don't forget Dude Love! I got the game, too, but haven't played it yet. There's enough fighting in Yakuza 6.

I agree with @Pifanjr there is not much listed here that catches my interest either outside of Stargate simply because i loved the Stargate movie/series (at least until they got rid of the dude that played mcgiver).

So today is a play of random games.

To start, i played the demo for The Age of Hell. Its like Diablo meets Classic Doom/Duke Nukem 3D. Its a good modern day boomer shooter (which has been full of amazing entries lately) that is worth playing if you have any interest in this genre. You wield a hammer like a gun and its fun. Its like you are the barbarian from diablo but in doom. The guns are cool but the hammer steals the show for me.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1779060/The_Age_of_Hell/

I gotta say, I didn't really care for it. I really like Boom Shoots (though, I've only played a select few. DUSK, Cultic, Ion Fury, a bit of Hedon, Amid Evil) but something about this one felt bland to me. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but it doesn't feel like it's really doing anything interesting with the concept of the Boom Shoot and the accuracy of the hammer just feels weird to me. I may give it another try, but I'm not too sure about this one.

SteamWorld Build seems pretty interesting to me. I really love Dungeon Keeper, as well as city builders and several of the SteamWorld games have really appealed to me, so I'm pretty damned curious about this one. Probably won't end-up picking it up right now, but it's definitely on the list.

Played some more Lethal Company with Guido, but we really need my daughter because I'm more of a support player. I go in and pull stuff out, but then I quit and start carrying things to the ship so that we don't hang around too late. That leaves Guido all by himself going through the dungeons, and some things really require more than one person. But you also need someone on the ship because you use your computer to shut down turrets and unlock security doors. It's just not a two player game, really, even though we do okay.

Alan Wake 2 again, getting into it more but only 5 hours in as its too intense to play when I'm tired and too scary to play when the kid is around.

I edited the INI according to some advise from Techpowerups guide, disabling DOF and Lens distortion and..... Most of the blur went away, the game looks way better, and also I'm now getting 80-90 FPS with everything set to Ultra including RT! (Although still with Frame Gen and DLSS Quality enabled).

No idea at what point they decided to hide those settings from the options, it must be a stylistic choice for some unknown reason.

I played some more Stellaris. The big war that broke out last time I played has luckily been contained entirely to the other side of the galaxy so far. Sadly my allies seem to be slowly losing, but there isn't much I can do about that. I only have two fleets with a combined strength of 10k and the shortest route to my allies leads through a pirate sector with two fleets around 15k each. I don't know how big the fleets are of my enemies, but considering their empires are much larger than the pirates I suspect my fleets wouldn't be able to have any significant impact and I can't really afford to lose them. Or rather, I can't afford to rebuild them, as I haven't figured out how to get a proper alloy production set up. I have abundance in every other resource now, so I must be missing something, but I didn't get much wiser from the quick Google search I did.

Bing AI found this Reddit tidbit, among others:

"Build more industrial districts: Industrial Districts will be the biggest source of your Alloy production through the entire game, so build them early and a lot."

That was it, I somehow missed that was a thing. I set all of my planets to auto-develop as I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the other mechanics in the game and apparently it just didn't build any industrial districts.
Now I also understand what the advice of using forge worlds was about. I thought they were specific planets you could find, but it's just the name of a specialization you can set for a planet that increases its alloy production.

I also bothered checking what kind of fleet is attacking my allies and it turns out three out of four of our enemies are about as strong as me, but one of them is a fanatical militarist who has a fleet with over 40k power. I should be able to harass one of the other ones though.

I also discovered I apparently have the highest diplomatic weight in the galactic senate and was therefore put on the galactic counsel. I don't really know how I can leverage this yet, but it seems useful.

Making me want to play Stellaris again, last played it significantly in 2016 so I bet its a completely different game now.

It is, but do you remember enough from what it was like 7 years ago to know how much it has changed?

The only change I noticed was that you no longer assign population to specific areas on the planet. There must be tons of other changes, especially since I'm playing with all of the DLCs, but I wouldn't be able to name any other ones.

It is, but do you remember enough from what it was like 7 years ago to know how much it has changed?

The only change I noticed was that you no longer assign population to specific areas on the planet. There must be tons of other changes, especially since I'm playing with all of the DLCs, but I wouldn't be able to name any other ones.
Absolutely not :p . But my brain has a useful tendency to recall things as I work through them fairly well.

€200 + of DLC, of which I own Utopia and nothing else, so everyones playing a slightly different game even if you arent thinking about the species and playstyle decisions along the way.

Last edited:
Might be time to use my free Game Pass code, I’ve always wanted to try WWZ Aftermath. I played the first WWZ game and it was pretty decent, this one just seems updated in many ways and also includes a first person mode which I’m very interested in trying. And it’s cross play with pretty much all consoles which I always enjoy on co-op games.

I got really angry at Days Gone. I’m doing a mission that I hate so much and for some reason I keep failing it. I have to sneak and hide in bushes while listening to someone talk. They keep moving around so you have to sneak and follow them. Sounds simple enough, but for some reason I keep getting caught. I check and see no one around me, so I move up, then suddenly the whole mission restarts from the beginning. I have no idea if I’m doing something wrong or if I’m just not seeing a guard who is nearby me, but I keep failing at the same point no matter what path I take. First of all I really really do not like this type of mission at all, it’s among my all time least favorite types of missions in any game. Second, the fact that it keeps failing me and having me restart at the very beginning which is about 5 minutes of sneaking and listening to a person talk, that irritates me immensely. So I put the game down for now, and bought Horizon Zero Dawn for $6 after my Steam wallet balance.

It’s a pretty decent game so far. Only about 2-3 hours into it. I read a Steam review where the person said it reminds them of newer Assassin’s Creed games and I have to say I honestly agree, specifically AC Odyssey and Valhalla, both which came out after Horizon’s initial PS4 release. The PC version looks great and is very well optimized though I did have one random crash. The movement and combat early in the game feel great and I can’t wait to start doing more. Story is pretty decent, voice acting is good for the most part but you can tell it’s a 2017 game with its slightly robotic dialogues. Overall for the $6 I spent on it I think I’ll have a good time, it feels more like the “shut off my brain and have fun” kind of game that I was hoping Days Gone was.

Weather in games

BBC article about maybe the next big marketing hype. I hear they're thinking about a leaky roof at the next World Chess C'ships, just to bump the game's social media engagement—"Oh no, Magnus Carlsen's Bishop just slid on a wet patch, into Hans Niemann's Queen".

For newer members, we had a related discussion 18 months ago:

I just got a notification from the Steam app that No Man's Sky is on sale, but when I checked I noticed that it seemed more expensive than I remembered from the last sale. So I checked Steamdb and apparently they increased the price a couple of months ago from €55 to €59.

I was curious if there were any better deals and discovered that the price increase was only for Steam. On GoG and the Windows store it's still €55, which seems strange.

I did see it's available on Game Pass as well, so now I'm considering trying that €1 first month. Maybe when my Christmas vacation starts...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts