Cyberpunk 2077 - is it really a good game; or just really pretty?

Hello,

So....

See my specs to put what would be - my possible gaming experience into context.

So I'm still on the fence about buying this at the moment for half price. I'm cheap but it's also about much more than that....

I've heard so many conflicting opinions it's hard to judge what's what?

I've heard some say it's just super pretty, but glitchy as hell (although apparently way better than 2 years ago - but good enough?), pretty soulless and lacking in the narrative/story department?

But what about the actual gameplay - is it a really fantastic game purely as a thing to play (if you ignored how it looks for a second) ???

Do you think it might be a much more enjoyable and less glitchy experience if I waited another 1-2 years more for them to iron out some more of their legion of bugs?

Let us know when you played it (eg recently or right at launch only) - for some perspective too. Also, did you use Mouse/Keyboard or Controller, both etc?

So yeah - give me the good, the bad, and the interesting re the game!

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Reactions: Frindis
You should be able to have a good experience in Cyberpunk 2077 with your spec. I played it on Ryzen 7 5800X with RTX 3070 8GB in comparison.

Some of the criticisms of the game have been because CD Project Red not delivering what was promised and I wholeheartedly agree with that. It is not as bad as No Man Sky promises, but it definitely did leave me with a somewhat broken heart thinking about just how good this game could have been. Saying that what I got was not bad either and overall I had an enjoyable time.

I was one of the players who did not have many problems playing the game when it was released. There were some graphical issues here and there, but nothing game-breaking. The main story was OK (especially the mission where you have to escape the tower), at least until you get to the end which had an annoying end system I did not like. Some of the side stories are really good (and better than the main story) and the romance option you have through some of them is not too bad either if you are into that thing. I have not played since my first playthrough, but from what I have read the game has slowly been getting the overhaul it needed so it is running much more smoothly now for most people.

The game also looks/sound very nice and I am sure that has not changed for the worse since I last played. While I miss the verticality since a lot of the buildings you can't get into, the city overall is a great place to move around in, not to mention its surroundings are not too shabby either.

I found the combat with weapons to be fun and that was my build focus. The weapons look and sound great, but the aiming and movement controls were not that great, but it was basically what I was expecting in this type of game as it is not Call of Duty or similar shooters with smooth combat/movement mechanics. The combat also gets better as you progress with your skills, so that is also one element to keep in mind.

There is a major expansion coming for the game scheduled for release this year called Phantom Liberty and more news about the expansion will come in June. I would recommend waiting for that expansion as I am sure you'll be able to get a good deal for the main game with the expansion included. If you were to wait a year or two the game would most definitely be patched out, but I also think the modding community would have come up with some absolutely fantastic mods for you to use also making it more into the game it should have been.

Last edited:
it was hyped intro stratosphere, nothing can live up to peoples dreams. So I don't know what its like now, Its probably better but it will never live up to the hype.

Its hard to scrape below surface of the shattered dreams to see what actual game is like... this happened with No Mans Sky too but at least in Cyberpunk it was more obvious what game actually was.

Meanwhile Nvidia are using it as a reason for people to look at their GPU over the competition.

Its not a really good game, but its... a good game...now. There has been so many patches and tweaks since its launched that has made it a better experience (even though there are still some remaining) but i wish the main campaign was longer because my biggest gripe is the fact that when you complete the story, the game ends. ENDS. You cant do anything after that, so if you want to enjoy the game and the city, you have to just live the life of doing "gigs" and stuff because once you beat that last campaign mission, it doesnt let you freeroam.

The game is pretty though, and its even more now imo because of this Path Tracing and tbh, thats the only real reason im playing right now. I manage a consistent 60-70 fps at 1080p at max settings with quality raytracing with my 3070ti, its not the resolution i want, but Night City looks fantastic and its got me to keep playing all the sidequests ive missed.

Personally, if you are into FPSs and the Cyberpunk aesthetic its worth picking up at half off for sure. You will enjoy it, even if you run into a bug here or there. I cant say how itll run for you because idk what your specs are and all but it runs great for me now.

You know, i WAS gonna lay down because i just got off work a bit ago, but logging into CP now...

I loved the storry and the ambiance, music is stellar. However, the world can feal a bit stiff, many sidequests are dull and the driving and police are meh. I liked the game at release, i didn't encounter that many bugs, had to do a few reloads here and there but thats it. I would recomend playing it any day of the week but don't expect a GTA in CP universe because it is not, ifact it is far from it.

I liked it too. Played it pretty much as a linear story game and mostly just fast travelled around. Did some of the story side missions as well as the main quest but didnt really explore the world outside of any of that much, which was fine. Story was interesting enough to keep me me engaged, but not anything mind blowing for me. I had a few cars floating in the air but no bugs that stopped any progression. I played it maybe 6 months after release so its probably way better now. Combat was fun, playing as a shooty hacker kind of thing anyway.

I spent about 50 hours there IIRC. Worth a play on a sale I'd say, it was a 7 or 7.5/10.

Last edited:

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Here's my two cents:

Cyberpunk is an ok game. For half price there is a lot of value to be had, and honestly if this game was $20-30 for me I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. Knowing I had spent the full rate for just an ok game didn't sit well with me.

For me, the stories the game told were no where close to anything CDPR had done before with the Witcher series, the characters felt shallow and hollow, and all the bugs at launch on top of that added up to a subpar experience.

The game itself looks incredible and is a screenshotters dream, but for me the game was lukewarm overall. All style, little substance.

Hello,

So....

See my specs to put what would be - my possible gaming experience into context.

So I'm still on the fence about buying this at the moment for half price. I'm cheap but it's also about much more than that....

I've heard so many conflicting opinions it's hard to judge what's what?

I've heard some say it's just super pretty, but glitchy as hell (although apparently way better than 2 years ago - but good enough?), pretty soulless and lacking in the narrative/story department?

But what about the actual gameplay - is it a really fantastic game purely as a thing to play (if you ignored how it looks for a second) ???

Do you think another it might be a much more enjoyable and less glitchy experience if I waited another 1-2 years more for them to iron out some more of their legion of bugs?

So yeah - give me the good, the bad, the interesting re the game!

Thank you for your help
I shelved it before they implemented the first huge patch due to unacceptable bugs. The gameplay was OK, a mix of stealth and overt combat. I will say though with your spec you're going to need to be mindful of the resolution you play at if you want to enable RT.

Apr 18, 2023
Visit site
Personally, I really enjoyed the game. I love games in this style. The graphics are great, good dialogues, interesting storylines. The quests are interesting to do. The only thing is that the inserts are a bit long. But the game is worth the attention. Although many of my friends scold it.

Reactions: Zloth

TRENDING THREADS