Is there a game genre, or type of game, that you won't buy, play, or take; even if it's free?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose if you consider Free to Play a genre then it would take a lot of convincing for me to try.

I've played quite a lot of Hearthstone, mostly the single player adventures. They're some of the best games available for free on mobile. Though you do have to unlock some parts with coins and getting coins has become harder since I started playing, so I'm not sure if it's still worth it.

Gacha games are free to play games that try to get you to gamble on loot boxes for items or characters. Like Genshin Impact, very popular in Asia. Not sure if its a genre, or a mechanic in different types of free to play games tbh, dont know any others than Genshin.

I've tried a Star Trek one and a Final Fantasy one as well. Especially the Final Fantasy one was... an interesting experience. Just a complete overload of options, constant super epic booster packs and ultra rare when you start playing, but it becomes apparent very quickly that collecting these characters is all there is to the game and you will have to shovel out thousands of dollars to get all of them.

Thats the thing, they work by preying on that little dopamine hit they give you for making the numbers go up even if you haven't even done anything other than click. Its like the Star Trek TNG episode, making the discs go into the hole, they're controlling your frickin mind man! :p

I didnt even think of them as games but youre right, I guess that's where I draw the line.

I recently read a review of Cookie Clicker that that mentioned it has amassed a ton of mechanics and mini games over its seven year existence that elevate it beyond just making numbers go up.

Also, easy access to dopamine hits can be really nice sometimes. As long as you can moderate yourself.

I wont use a lot of so called free to play games because the are cash cows.
Their are a lot of FTP games around that you used to have to buy in a shop for say £30.
The free versions are merely cut down versions of the original.

Here are a couple of examples , many years ago when a game cost £30 the Microsoft flight simulator was £50 , it is now free to download but you only get a few basic aircraft , that is unless things have changed since the last time i looked at it so you have to spend £££ to get what you could buy in a shop many years ago as a one off purchase.

Games such as warcraft and others of that genre are just cash cows , you get to a certain level and your gear is not strong enough to beat the AI or players who have made micro payments to get better things than you so you either have to stop using the game or spend money.

Pc gamer magazine did a feature about this a long time ago and some games companies said they only needed 3% of users to spend money to make the game profitable.

I have only made purchases on 2 games , WORLD OF BATTLES and TANKI X , i enjoyed them so much i spent the equivalent of a shop bought game on both of them. After about 2 years use the companies that ran them pulled the plugs on the servers, so , i dont plan on getting my fingers burnt a third time.

I've played quite a lot of Hearthstone, mostly the single player adventures. They're some of the best games available for free on mobile. Though you do have to unlock some parts with coins and getting coins has become harder since I started playing, so I'm not sure if it's still worth it.

I've tried a Star Trek one and a Final Fantasy one as well. Especially the Final Fantasy one was... an interesting experience. Just a complete overload of options, constant super epic booster packs and ultra rare when you start playing, but it becomes apparent very quickly that collecting these characters is all there is to the game and you will have to shovel out thousands of dollars to get all of them.

Hearthstone has tempted me in the past as I like card games, I might go there in the future still but it would be on desktop, I dont have a commute where I'd have time for mobile games, and if I'm staying away I'll use my Switch for games.

I've never been that excited by any type of gambling in itself, I think that's why I've just stayed away from any sort of loot boxes or Gacha games entirely. I dont care anything for cosmetics in games and I'm not one for collecting things that just to look at. Luckily there's nothing there for me in the gambling either, and its not a taste I'd like to aquire.

I recently read a review of Cookie Clicker that that mentioned it has amassed a ton of mechanics and mini games over its seven year existence that elevate it beyond just making numbers go up.

Also, easy access to dopamine hits can be really nice sometimes. As long as you can moderate yourself.

Hey, people can do whatever they want as long as they arent hurting themself or anyone else far as I'm concerned. I just feel that someones pulling my strings in a way I dont like when I've played those sort of games. :)

Reactions: Pifanjr
I think the line I wrote above is my best summation: CRPGs feel like an awkward middle-ground genre.

I had never thought of them this way, probably because when I first got into them

1. I had not played many tabletop RPG's (yet), and
2. Modern 1st/3rd-person RPG's didn't exist (yet)

So there was literally nothing for them to be a "middle ground" toward. Though I do acknowledge they are often a poor substitute for tabletop RPG's, depending on your DM/GM. Though some CRPG's offer more options, details and flexibility than some DM's/GM's I've played with over the last quarter century. They haven't always given me as much agency or details for my Theater of the Mind to work with as, say, Daggerfall. But I'm glad you've had some rich IRL experiences on that front.

Baseball, cricket, curling, football, or basketball (NBA Jam, 1993 on Nintendo was fun though). Some of the simulators games I'm never going to touch, like rock, wolf, hobo & tree simulators. Super 3D Noah's Ark or similarly themed games. Come to think of it, I think Super3D will be the exception since it reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D. Surgeon Simulator, nooooooo! I get too cranky.

Last edited:
I had thought of those, but was trying to stick to PC games and wasn't sure if any qualified as such. If we widen the scope to mobile games and non-ported console/handheld games, the number of genres I avoid increases considerably.

I'm pretty sure most early idle games were browser/flash games. Cookie Clicker is on Steam now.

Gacha games do seem to be almost exclusively on mobile, though some PC/console games have used similar lootbox mechanics.

Reactions: Krud
Hello to any moderators who see this , i just received an email linked to this posting ... this is what it says.

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

I am puzzled by this because i have looked at my tread contribution to this posting , it has not been removed or edited for inappropriate elements ....... what have i said that i need to remove.

any moderators
Tough luck, you got me.

Your only prior post is #32, right? Or did you try to make another, but it didn't go thru?

#32 is perfectly fine, a useful valuable addition to the thread. If that's your only one, then the email you got is obviously an error by the forum software.

Once you clarify re if there's a second post involved, a mod will let Admin know—I'm off duty in a few minutes :)

Brian thinks he has time off?

Forums do strange things sometimes, at least here doesn't have the bug Tom's does this weekend (and I hope we don't)
they have been known to advise you of posts in threads you aren't actually in, thats rare.
Being told your post is spam after the fact is sort of strange.

Reactions: Pifanjr

CParsons

Staff member
Hello to any moderators who see this , i just received an email linked to this posting ... this is what it says.

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

I am puzzled by this because i have looked at my tread contribution to this posting , it has not been removed or edited for inappropriate elements ....... what have i said that i need to remove.

I see no reason as to why you would have received this. There's no record of it even in the spam logs, can you forward the email to me so I can take a closer look? community@futurenet.com. Attn: Chris

Reactions: Brian Boru
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS