Any good ARPG worth looking at?

So I have played Diablo 2 & 3, All the Torchlights, Both good Sacred games.
I have downloaded POE but I have played it several times in the past, I had it before it was released and have played it at least 4 times, but I don't really like it. It feels clunky. And build tree is daunting.
Grim Dawn - I played an early version of this and its completely different now.

Anything new I should look at?

unlike Brian, I mostly play 3rd person games.

• Haha
Reactions: HenrykForkbeard
Grim Dawn - I played an early version of this and its completely different now.
It definitely plays better now than it did on release, and Crate Entertainment is constantly updating the game, the most recent was just on 06/21/22.

As far as isometric ARPGs go, I could think of of two, and those are on my Steam Wish List. One is Wolcen:: Lords of Mayhem. It still has mixed reviews on Steam, and from what I've read the initial release was buggy and incomplete, but Wolcen Studio has since made several updates to fix things. I haven't purchased it yet, but it always looks interesting.

The other is Last Epoch, but it's still in Early Access:

Now, if you are interested in 3rd person ARPGs, like @Zloth said, there are a lot more to choose from, but those games you listed I've always considered to be isometric ARPGs.

I prefer the free version of what that game essentially is... hunt 6 5 star gems... profit?

it also shows how much it can cost just to get the 6 gems. Thats not the end, its just the start as getting the 5 star gems to rank 10 costs way more...

I am not exactly looking for isometric view, its just how they are I guess.
I will look at 2 games mentioned by Mainer
Wolcen still seems buggy from a video made 2 months ago.

should give Grim Dawn another chance.

Last Epoch looks interesting... will watch it as they still adding areas to game.

Last edited:
Well, you have Diablo 2: Resurrected and, at this point, has ladders for you to climb. Yes its Diablo 2, but its a good remaster in my opinion.

Theres also Lost Ark which is F2P. I would at least give it a chance, it has good combat for an ARPG but its full of grindy MMO tropes if you can deal with it.

As far as isometric ARPGs go, I could think of of two, and those are on my Steam Wish List. One is Wolcen:: Lords of Mayhem. It still has mixed reviews on Steam, and from what I've read the initial release was buggy and incomplete, but Wolcen Studio has since made several updates to fix things. I haven't purchased it yet, but it always looks interesting.

This game is not worth it imo and, although it looks pretty good, its kind of a boring ARPG. Its nothing like where they were heading with the game, but i guess if you are looking to expand your ARPG list, you can pick this up, but i say pass.

If you like Warhammer lore, there is this neat ARPG-style Warhammer game called Warhammer- Martyr, i like it, its ARPG with machine guns, bolt guns and other warhammer classics and its currently only 12.49 usd.

Grim Dawn is an excellent game.

The people who made Titan Quest now make Grim Dawn. I had Titan Quest long ago. I didn't like how areas don't respawn after you been through them.

Titan Quest also had a new DLC introduced sometime within the last year, i dont know if this problem exists still for you but, it does have new DLC (enemies,map, items etc.)

Youtube thinks I want to play Warhammer, almost every other day its one of the choices in Recommended. But I have no idea why its suggests it as I have no interest. I wish I could edit the suggestions but anyway...

I don't play multiplayer Diablo 2. I always play arpg alone. I prefer to play single player instead. So the charts mean nothing to me, the seasons as well.

I appreciate ideas, I will probably pick up Last Epoch at some stage in next few months. I will look into it more.

Reactions: Pifanjr
i knew i should have been specific. I mean the row of buttons along top that change based on the other videos you have watched recently. Earlier 40k was there, and I almost took a screenshot to show it. But my choices have changed since then.

refreshes Youtube once
iCpZqHw.jpg

I have no control over those buttons. It just chooses them based on videos I have watched, its obvious some of the channels I watch play it. I don't though.

those buttons
Oh those—I never see those cos my YT goes straight to my Subs.

Just checked mine now, and 'Playstation 4' is one LOL—never owned or played any PS :D
Oh Look, I have WH 40K too, which I also have no interest in—so clearly they're pushing some of their preferences in there.

I got excited when I saw 'Watched' as a button far right. But no, not a chrono list—that would be useful.

ETA: refreshed and now there's no 'More' arrow on right, and list is different.

Reactions: Pifanjr
So I have played Diablo 2 & 3, All the Torchlights, Both good Sacred games.
I haven't played any of those, but since I've learned how to play V Rising, which has the same style combat, I want to give one of these a try. Where should I start (if it has co-op that would be a plus)?

By the way, you could try V Rising out if you wanted. It's got some survival features, but you can go into the advanced options when you are setting up your game and set it for however you like. I think it's just the combat that is the same, mostly, but I haven't actually played any of these other games, so I don't know for sure. See if @Brian Boru will buy it for you just in case so you don't waste your money.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
I want to give one of these a try. Where should I start (if it has co-op that would be a plus)?
Well, @Colif didn't reply, so I'll give what little info I have. I've played Diablo 2 and both Sacred 1 & 2 but not the other three games. Diablo 2 Resurrected is a great remaster of one of the greatest ARPGs ever made, and probably the easiest to get into. I don't play online or co-op, but I know it has that element. Here is one article that might shed some light on that:
Diablo 2: Resurrected Co-Op - How Multiplayer Works | Screen Rant

My favorite of the group though is Sacred 2. It's such a huge world, an interesting story and varied enemies, and a lot of secret or optional quests that are really great (the Blind Guardian concert is still one of my favorite quests of all time). The game will need a couple of mods to get rid of bugs and allow it to preform properly on modern systems. I can list what I use if you're interested, but won't link them otherwise. As to co-op or online type play, it used to have it, but it's an old game so I don't know if that aspect is still functional. Here's one link that explains it, but it may be an older article:
Co-Optimus - Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (PC) Co-Op Information

You might also want to consider Grim Dawn, which is also a great ARPG with a massive amount of character customization as well as co-op play:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/Grim_Dawn/

Last edited:
I haven't played any of those, but since I've learned how to play V Rising, which has the same style combat, I want to give one of these a try. Where should I start (if it has co-op that would be a plus)?

if you want active co op, I would guess D2 resurrected is best one to choose... the other 2 are a little old now. People still play D2 and make videos about the fact. Really, its only place to start. Its grandaddy of the genre after all. It shows its age though, Diablo 3 is sllightly better but I am not sure i like all the changes they made.

Sacred 2 is just a sad story and Torchlight 1 & 2 are great fun, they are a little dated now. And like is case with Sacred 3, the 3rd part of series was a let down. No idea what its coop was like. I didn't play it nearly as much as first 2.

Well, @Colif didn't reply, so I'll give what little info I have. I've played Diablo 2 and both Sacred 1 & 2 but not the other three games. Diablo 2 Resurrected is a great remaster of one of the greatest ARPGs ever made, and probably the easiest to get into. I don't play online or co-op, but I know it has that element. Here is one article that might shed some light on that:
Diablo 2: Resurrected Co-Op - How Multiplayer Works | Screen Rant

My favorite of the group though is Sacred 2. It's such a huge world, an interesting story and varied enemies, and a lot of secret or optional quests that are really great (the Blind Guardian concert is still one of my favorite quests of all time). The game will need a couple of mods to get rid of bugs and allow it to preform properly on modern systems. I can list what I use if you're interested, but won't link them otherwise. As to co-op or online type play, it used to have it, but it's an old game so I don't know if that aspect is still functional. Here's one link that explains it, but it may be an older article:
Co-Optimus - Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (PC) Co-Op Information

You might also want to consider Grim Dawn, which is also a great ARPG with a massive amount of character customization as well as co-op play:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/Grim_Dawn/

Thanks. I got tired of waiting for him and bought Torchlight 2 to give it a try. That top down combat is kind of what I was mostly interested in, but Sacred 2 is pretty appealing to me, so I might grab that one, too. My son is always wanting us to play Skyrim with the co-op mod, but that mod isn't really ready yet. You have all sorts of not-good things happen. Like you walk into a town for the first time and they all start chasing you for no reason, which makes it hard to get and complete quests. I'm a little concerned that the only one I've found so far is Sacred 2 Gold Edition, and it doesn't list anything but singleplayer. I might check GoG to see if they have plain old Sacred 2.

tl2.. i played it for 1312 hours so its not a bad game. I have 102 of 119 achievements, most of which just happened along the way. Some of the classes move a little too fast on my PC. Generally played engineer (i think thats class name) and use hammers or cannons (cannons might be a mod)
If you enjoy it I will find a list of mods that make it more...

Sacred 2 gold edition is what you want. it includes the expansion.
It has SP and MP built in, mainly as the differences aren't that big.

My son is always wanting us to play Skyrim with the co-op mod, but that mod isn't really ready yet. You have all sorts of not-good things happen. Like you walk into a town for the first time and they all start chasing you for no reason, which makes it hard to get and complete quests.
I don't know if you saw this PCG article last week about the Skyrim Forever Reborn mod, but it seems to have a lot of good information links about installation. It does appear to be buggy yet, and probably not compatible with other mods.
New multiplayer Skyrim mod has been downloaded over 50,000 times | PC Gamer

I'm a little concerned that the only one I've found so far is Sacred 2 Gold Edition, and it doesn't list anything but singleplayer.
I think that co-op is possible with Sacred 2 Gold, though it might take some tweaking. Here is a pinned Steam Discussion post that about getting co-op working. It's all Greek to me because I never do multi-player, but it will probably make sense to you.

And the load screen for Sacred 2 Gold does have a multiplayer button, but I have no idea if it's still functional as I've never clicked it.
H9LPlqQ.jpg

And if you end up going for it, the one mod you really need is the community patch found on Dark Matters. There are other mods & tweaks available there as well.
Community Patch - Community Patch - DarkMatters

This is the Steam Guide to get S2G up and running on Windows 10. Some guides aren't that great, but this one I found to be completely accurate.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1254244510

one month later, I don't remember boss at end of 3rd area... so I been restarting every day to avoid it. Think I am getting tired of it and my mental block I have about fighting things I don't understand.

SO this list makes me wonder, why number 20 isn't part 2.

TRENDING THREADS