Question 7.1 surround on headsets

Dec 17, 2022
Visit site
I'm looking for a new headset. Some of those headsets say 7.1 surround on the box. But for 7.1 surround you need 8 speakers in each ear. But it looks like they only have 1 speaker in each ear. And a friend of mine says that with a stereo headset you can get the same result because the 7.1 surround effect is just a software simulation.

So why do some headsets have that 7.1 surround logo on the package? Are they in some way better for surround effects than other headsets or is the effect worth the extra money? Do they have multiple speakers or are they just stereo headsets with a simulated surround effect.

Do they have multiple speakers or are they just stereo headsets with a simulated surround effect.
AFAIK All full sized headphones only have one driver per ear, be it planar/electrostatic or just normal. IEM can have multiple drivers but they more for tuning purposes and not surround sound. More drivers doesn't necessarily make them better, you can have too much of a good thing.
You are correct in saying its just software.

What are after in the headset? Good sound or lots of features?
If I was buying any now I would probably get these:
Expensive but hard to beat for sound. Get the Xbox ones as you get a Dolby licence with dongle.

So why do some headsets have that 7.1 surround logo on the package?
Advertising features maybe? Make it seem they better than headphones that don't?

I haven't tried any myself. I was going to buy gaming headset a few months ago but bought something else instead. I listen to music more than play games so I got a pair of
instead.
Some other ideas:

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru