$400 dollars Lenovo m39p gamer

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone I’m new here and would like to thank anyone for any help in advance. I purchased the other day a Lenovo m39p sff
Intel i5 4950
8gb ddr3
No HD

I paid 120 plus 18 shipping. My budget is 400
Anyway my plan is to use this pc to do some gaming as well as a business computer. My main goal is to run fallout 4 and new vagus so I was wondering what is a good but reasonably priced low profile GPU.
I was also leaning towards getting a full size case To run a bigger GPU and PSU. What is a good case to get that is easy to transfer everything too. Oh I know just enough to be dangerous lol

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
2000889302.jpeg

@tweakers.net

Is that how your internals look like? I think it's very hard to find a fitting GPU for small form factor prebuilt PC's. I had an Acer once where if I'd installed a dedicated GPU, half of my internal connectors would have been blocked and useless, rendering my PC useless.

I'm seeing some other M39p's too which are even smaller and where I don't even think a dedicated GPU (even low profile) would fit.

EDIT: It also will require that you check if your power supply even has connectors to install a videocard, unless the videocard can get enough power from the pcie slot.

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Yes that is what it looks like. The other ones are called “mini”. I think it has a 14 pin psu so if upgraded I would need an adapter. It has no plug for a card so it would have to run off the pci as it is

I paid 120 plus 18 shipping. My budget is 400
USD?

With regards to moving to another case and/or replacing the PSU:

PCs like these often have proprietary connectors. Looking at the manual

The motherboard seems to have a 14 pin rather than 24 pin connector from the PSU. There are adapter cables you can buy, but I don't know what the implications are - if any - for how much power the motherboard can deliver via its PCIe slot.

if you were going to spend $120 on an old system to keep only the CPU, mobo, and RAM, you'd have probably been better off getting just the CPU, mobo, and RAM and then you could have got a motherboard with the regular connectors.

That was the conclusion I reached having recently looked at doing similar things with Lenovos and Dells.

Assuming the OP's PC is as per the manual and the dimensions are:

Width: 102 mm (4.02 inches)
Height: 338 mm (13.31 inches)
Depth: 375 mm (14.76 inches)

That 1060 won't fit in the OP's case unfortunately, because while it's short it's still full width. The PCIe bracket is full size and the OP's case is SFF and only has 'half height' (half width, really, if you have the PC stood up vertically) PCIe slots.

Probably the most powerful GPU that could be compatible is one of the 'low profile' 1650s. MSI and Zotac have them, maybe others do as well.

170 x 69 x 42 mm (w/ low profile bracket)
170 x 105 x 42 mm (w/ normal bracket)

Card Length 160mm x 111.15mm (70mm LP) x 34mm / 6.30in x 4.38in (2.76in LP) x 1.34in

As 1650s they're both 75W cards, so no additional power connector required, they're just powered by the PCIe slot.

As long as there's enough space between them and the PCIe slot, they would probably be fine.

Reactions: Inspireless Llama

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
As per specific card I don't think it matters right now what card we advice, first (and most strong) advice would be for @Farmerjackson to search for a card that should fit into the case, by the looks there's only a very limited amount of cards that do that. After that we may (or may not) be able to advice wether the card itself would be advisable :p

Generally speaking I wouldn't advice a GT610, 710 or 1030. They're all just substitutes for integraded GPU's like @Oussebon said. Meaning they're basically cheap videocards for processors that don't have them integraded. Would my 2060 die right now and I'd have no funds to get a new GPU I'd pick up a 1030 for example so I just can use my PC for movies / office work. That's what they're supposed for.

Tbh the number of cards that are worth buying for gaming that also fit into the case are so few that we pretty well have to advise about specific cards,

The card needs to be low profile or else it won't fit. Low profile cards are almost always 75W cards too with no supplementary power connectors, which figures when you think about it It also needs to actually provide playable performance. Which means one of the low profile 1650s, 1050 tis, or 1050s, depending on local pricing and how much the OP is willing to spend. There are only a handful of such models e.g. the two I linked for the 1650s.

Or the OP needs to transfer to a new case with a new PSU, assuming the mobo is regular micro ATX, and assuming they're happy with the 14 pin adapter, and that there are no other proprietary connectors e.g. front panel IO, power switch it. There will probably be guides online of people who did this but I can't look right now.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Very true, agreed.

Just checked the (GPU) recommend card for Fallout 4, which is a GTX780 3gb. Which makes me assume that the cards you suggest so far will do well at least. I don'tthink a 1050 / 1650 will perform worse than that right?

A 1050 is weaker than a 780, but a 1650 would probably do better / same ballpark. If the OP wants to mod FO4, use reshades/ENBs etc as is quite common they may want a better GPU still. FO4 can be quite a demanding game depending what you do to it.

That said, FO4 is pretty malleable. You can get a decent experience on a 1050 / ti and even run it on integrated graphics.

May 21, 2020
Visit site
If you are likely to transfer to another case and PSU there's an argument for cancelling/returning and buying different stuff that's designed to play nice with other components instead.
I would but it’s an online auction. They have some more now that is the same m93p in a regular size case but smaller processor they also have this
Make: Lenovo
Model: S30 (0569)
CPU: intel Xeon Es-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: NO
HDD Cage: Yes
Power cord: No
But idk then I got to get my money back out of this one. When it comes to swapping cases what is the main concern getting the power buttons to work?

Powering the motherboard - including any implications of the 14 to 24 pin adapter. What are the pins it doesn't have and what does that mean for delivering power to and via the mobo for instance...

Power buttons, front IO, making sure the mobo is actually a regular form factor and can be fitted into a case.

If you were going to get rid of the one you had, buying another Lenovo or Dell or whatever with proprietary connectors would defeat the point. My suggestion was to buy a used mobo, CPU, and RAM. As in a regular motherboard, not one you need to hack into working.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I would but it’s an online auction. They have some more now that is the same m93p in a regular size case but smaller processor they also have this
Make: Lenovo
Model: S30 (0569)
CPU: intel Xeon Es-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
RAM: 8 GB
HDD: NO
HDD Cage: Yes
Power cord: No
But idk then I got to get my money back out of this one. When it comes to swapping cases what is the main concern getting the power buttons to work?

Power button, HDD LED, front audio jacks all are connected to some connectors on the motherboard. In your current case (if available) you should be able to track the cables from the front of your PC towards a point on your motherboard.

While agree with @Oussebon that a regular motherboard would be so much easier to work in, it really would suck if you'd have to throw this PC out, that would be just wasted money. I'd check if you can fit a GPU first before going for other options that would render this PC useless. But indeed, if you do, check out for a regular motherboard. We here can help with advice on if it's a regular and what the best options would be :)

Reactions: Oussebon
May 21, 2020
Visit site
The msi one is 50 bucks more do you think it’s is worth the extra 50 over the other one.
First one specs ($204cnd)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU
  • 896 CUDA cores
  • 4GB GDDR5 memory
  • 128 bit memory bus
  • Engine boost clock: 1695 MHz
  • Memory clock: 8.0 Gbps
  • PCI Express 3.0
The second (254 cnd)
  • Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 super
  • Boost Clock: 1740 MHz
  • Memory Interface: 128-bit
  • Video Memory: 4GB GDDR6
  • Output: DisplayPort x 1 (V1. 4)/ HDMI 2. 0B x 1/ DL-DVI-D x1

It's more performance, but requires more power including a 6 pin connector from the PSU.

Also I think we established before that you need a low profile GPU - your case is thin and won't fit normal size PCIe brackets.

TRENDING THREADS