PC Upgrade / New Gamer advice needed

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to the art of building PC's and PC gaming as a whole. However, I did buy a PC (maybe 3 yrs ago) for gaming and would like to update/get more serious/learn more knowledge about the parts and process as whole. Current build below

Radeon RX470
GDDR5 16 gb
I5-6500
MSI Z270

Why Are You Upgrading: I want to see what my options are, what steps to take when thinking of upgrading components or building in general

Budget: Hopefully ill be able to sell some of my old components to use towards new/used upgrades? Depending on what needs upgraded first, I would say my starting budget for any component would be $200-400

Approximate Purchase Date: No set date in mind hoping to find the best deals on the best components eventually

Use Case: Gaming, streaming videos

Parts to Upgrade:
Which ever way would be most efficient over time.. I would like make incremental upgrades instead of one big splash

Are you buying a monitor: probably not I have one already, see below

Your Monitor Resolution and desired frame rate: Current monitor is ASUS VG245H 1920 x 1080

Preferred Website(s) for Parts? Newgg , Amazon - basically just somewhere reliable . Also heard Mercari was good to check out

Parts Preferences:
No preference

Overclocking: Eventually, but I would have to find out exactly what it means/ does. I have a general idea, but nowhere near enough to know what im doing

Additional Comments: thank you everyone in advance!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Reactions: Why_Me
Thank you! Will definitely look these up. A part from the obvious reasons, is there any disadvantage to buying used?

Ive also been looking at a few other matches.. let me know if im on to something here...

Board : AMD X470
CPU : Ryzen 3 3200
Buying used is always a hit or miss. btw that AMD board is old school.

Welcome to the forum :)

A part from the obvious reasons, is there any disadvantage to buying used?
1. Status of market: eBay is more reliable than a personal ad from 1,000 KM away.
2. How you pay: some means offer protection to purchasers.
3. Status of seller: Power Users or Super Sellers with 95%+ ratings from over 1,000 customers are a safer bet than a personal ad from 1,000 KM away.
4. Component: a case should be safer to buy than a power supply—ie any parts which wear out with use are a bigger risk than those which don't.
5. Price: this is probably one of your 'obvious reasons', but handing over $1,000 via wire transfer is a lot more risky than paying $10 via PayPal or credit card.

This might help:

I'm trying to figure out how to like your comments
There are restrictions on new members due to the amount of drive-by spam we get flooded with. Stick around for a while, make decent posts like you've done so far, and all will be revealed :)

If you're interested in the detail, this should explain it:

Read a few threads to get a feel for what's acceptable, if you're still unclear, read these:

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS