2024 City Builder and Colony Sim General Discussion Thread

The other thread is dead and hasn't been posted in since 2023, so I thought we could start a time limited one.

I've been playing Citadelum, an ancient Rome city builder.

The beginning of the game foreshadowed how this was going to go. It told me to build 4 houses for plebians. By the time I had built them, they were 3/4 full of people and one of them was on fire. "I realize your house is on fire, just give me a moment to build aqueducts, water storage, a fire control building and find some staff. We'll put that fire out in no time."

I'm enjoying it, but I kind of like my city builders a little more relaxing, and this is extremely hectic. Everything is built instantly. People are constantly moving into your city. You have to continuously increase your food production, your entertainment, etc. I've probably spent more time with the game on pause than without it because everything moves so quickly. I keep unlocking new things, too. And, as is traditional in city builders, the tutorial isn't much, so I'm having to stop everything and look around the UI quite a bit.

But overall it's well made and fun to play. At some point there are supposed to be turn-based battles, but I haven't started building my military yet. I suppose we'll see how combat goes when we get there. Most of the recent city/colony games have featured RTS combat, so this being turn-based is sort of different. Hopefully the combat has at least a little depth to it. As much as I love Kingdoms Reborn, the combat is so boring that I usually set up the game on peaceful unless Guido is playing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts