City Builder and Colony Sim Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Playing some Airborne Kingdom, which I think is at it's Steam low price right now during the Strategy fest.

Unlike every other colony sim I've been playing, this isn't in early access. I'm actually playing it on Game Pass, but since I tend to use that as expensive way to play extended demos, I might actually buy it since I'm having fun with it.

You are in control of, well, a flying city center with, to start, 8 homeless inhabitants who you direct to do stuff like building your flying city, gathering resources from the ground (they fly little planes), and doing research.

As with all colony sims, you have to track your resources and make sure to replenish them. You also have to keep track of your lift and tilt, as crashing is considered bad form and citizens like their city not to tilt wildly because you've built too much on one side. If I were walking on narrow sidewalks 1000 meters above the ground, I would probably consider tilt a reason to stay home for the day.

You are constantly exploring the world looking for various resources, ruins (from which you get artifacts), small settlements (from which you get new residents) and new kingdoms. I just found my first kingdom, and I'm not 100 percent sure what all you can do with Kingdoms, but I know you can do missions for them, gain new techs and sign alliances with them.

As far as I can tell so far, there is no combat in the game.

Banished, the grandpappy of the modern colony sim, is on sale for $6.79 on Steam right now. It has workshop support and about 1500 mods, including a number of complete overhauls that should greatly expand how many hours you can get out of the game.

Banished, the grandpappy of the modern colony sim, is on sale for $6.79 on Steam right now. It has workshop support and about 1500 mods, including a number of complete overhauls that should greatly expand how many hours you can get out of the game.

I remember playing Banished in beta and getting so rich from selling sticks I could buy any resource I needed. It looked like it had some good potential though.

I remember playing Banished in beta and getting so rich from selling sticks I could buy any resource I needed. It looked like it had some good potential though.
I haven't actually done any in-game trading yet, but I did the trading tutorial, and I'd be surprised if you could still get rich off of sticks. I had to trade 120 tools and some other stuff to get 6 chickens. I'll try it though and let you know. Except I don't think there are sticks anymore. It's just "wood".

The two major gripes I have about banished are that it doesn't have cloud saves and that it automatically pauses if I alt-tab out of it.

The cloud saves are because I play on more than one PC. Without the cloud saves I either have to just start a new game on the new PC or stream the game from my other PC. No, I'm not carrying save files around with me.

And I'm too much of an ADHD multitasker to sit here looking at the little people wandering around all day. I want them to keep working when I alt-tab out of the game, not sit there and wait for me to come back.

Fun game, though. I'm playing vanilla except for some UI mods, but after I finish this game, there's a huge mod that basically changes everything that I'm going to try.

IwantPeak

BANNED
Sep 17, 2023
Visit site
Sounds awesome! Enjoy your break and research. Best of luck with your 4x city builder game development! 🎮🏗️👍
Taking a little break from my grueling colony sim playing schedule to research the history of colony sims/city builders.

Then I going to work a little on the game I'm making, which is a 4x city builder.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Building out the connections between things in any (management) game is generally tedious.

4X too, roads & rail were always a pain in Civ—one of the few things I used to set Workers to auto-do. I wish games in general treated it more like constructing a building or trade route, ie a menu item to connect A to B, C, D, etc…

Could be worse tho—I've had a few RTS 🤦‍♂️ where I built the barracks or vehicle factory facing the wrong way… as in, nowhere for new builds to go :D

Reactions: Pifanjr
4X too, roads & rail were always a pain in Civ—one of the few things I used to set Workers to auto-do. I wish games in general treated it more like constructing a building or trade route, ie a menu item to connect A to B, C, D, etc…
I think Civ VI changing roads so they're made by trade routes was pretty nice. It has its downsides, but the reduction in micromanagement is nice.

Could be worse tho—I've had a few RTS 🤦‍♂️ where I built the barracks or vehicle factory facing the wrong way… as in, nowhere for new builds to go :D
Which is only slightly worse than building a port and then discovering the bit of water you found was part of a small lake/pond and not the coast of the sea/ocean.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
Honestly, Civ 6's roads were keeping me away from it for the longest time because of my defense strategy, which Alexander the Great always scoffs at. I keep almost no standing army because I can create one so quickly thanks to the rest of my strategy. But I have to be able to move them anywhere in my territory as fast as possible. I was afraid that without my usual network of roads I would have to keep a decent army most of the time.

TRENDING THREADS