yet another very high priced game .....

Yes i know i have spoken about this before ....... i respect games writers and i look at end credits just to see how many people were involved in the making of a game.

Star wars jedi survivor is now available to pre order 130gb , just wondering how many players will have to uninstall things to make room for it , yes i know you can re-download them again.

This is my gripe , the star wars game is £59.99 for standard edition and £79.99 for deluxe , my own pesonal opinion is that this is way too much to pay.
One of the reasons i say this is because their footfall is not the local high street it is WORLD WIDE via what ever games interface you are using.
The makes dont have to do anything to get the game to us , its all down to us the users , pay for it and download it.

Footnote my local exchange is very old and i can only get 17 mb/per sec , it would take 21 hours to download

Prices are what the market will bear, not what it's 'worth'—which is different for everyone.
That's the truth of it, and "market value" prices affect almost everything we purchase today. I recently got a letter from my landlord that stated that my rent was going up $150 per month next year, in which he also stated that it was within "fair market value". There is no fairness in market value to us consumers, but some things we're just forced to bear, while others we have a choice.

When it comes to game pricing, it's usually those "AAA" game producers, like Electronic Arts (I try to avoid "hating", but I love to hate this company), who try to force the price of their games higher to increase profits. In my opinion, if you feel the price of a game is too high, wait a year for a sale, because with a "AAA" game release it's going to happen.

For example, Jedi-Fallen Order (the game that precedes Jedi-Survivor) is now on sale for 88% off at $4.99 and the deluxe edition is $6.99.

We have a luxury in our PC gaming hobby, in that there are thousands of excellent games out there for under $50 (often much less), and combined with frequent sale events there's always something to play.

Yes i know i have spoken about this before ....... i respect games writers and i look at end credits just to see how many people were involved in the making of a game.

Star wars jedi survivor is now available to pre order 130gb , just wondering how many players will have to uninstall things to make room for it , yes i know you can re-download them again.

This is my gripe , the star wars game is £59.99 for standard edition and £79.99 for deluxe , my own pesonal opinion is that this is way too much to pay.
One of the reasons i say this is because their footfall is not the local high street it is WORLD WIDE via what ever games interface you are using.
The makes dont have to do anything to get the game to us , its all down to us the users , pay for it and download it.

Footnote my local exchange is very old and i can only get 17 mb/per sec , it would take 21 hours to download
You DO realize don't you that some devs have started charging $70 now for base price on games, and that special editions like Deluxe versions have literally ALWAYS cost more, often FAR more than $80? Base price on games has been $60 for quite a while now, just be glad it's not $70 on such an anticipated AAA title.

As far as digital sales vs retail disc sales, this has been an ongoing discussion for some time, and the ones on the digital should be cheaper side never seem to get that digital distribution services require 1, server farms, 2, high bandwidth costs, and 3, regular maintenance of both the distribution site and the servers.

Lastly, the devs are also not at fault for the relatively small percentage of people that are stuck with low internet speeds, which affects FAR more than just quality of game access. Game development and digital game distribution for that matter are not easy businesses to get into. Both involve a lot of cost and risk. They will never be charitable services, nor should they have to be.

In summary, I would say it's a very large file size game, but high priced, no, those are normal prices in today's market. We've also seen the odd game now and then that is well over 100GB in size, and it's slowly getting more common. Then again you can get HDDs now with pretty good read and write speeds that are 10TB or more and offer FAR better cost per TB value than my 6TB drive. As games evolve, so do the products we install and play them on, as well as the ISP services we use, that's just technology 101.

Last edited:
They can blame the market until they get blue in their face. I'm not buying expensive games or food. I'll play Yahtzee instead and eat melted snow, plenty of nutritional value. If you were to blame anyone, it would have to be the bloody wheat. It domesticated us some thousands of years ago, made us live in brick houses and large cities and we still break our backs for it! Smartest organism that ever lived. I guess the AI will take it's place soon and we'll all become a docile specimen sitting in front of the computer slowly getting BORG'ed out. Oh...wait a second!:grin:

Last edited:
I used to have
kJG5JPN.jpg

and just didn't bother downloading anything big. Sacred 2 is about 16gb in size, that would take a few days.
So 17mb/s isn't that slow. Its all relative. To someone on Dial up, its amazing.

the best Star Wars games were made in the past (Okay, maybe not Shadows of the Empire) but they don't look as pretty now.

its only going to get worse. Size of games will expand until we hit about 8k and then it might plateau for a while until the fall of the EU

Be nice to think they had to stop somewhere, I want new games, not Skyram 8k 3d VR 100th anniversary edition

Adding more game to it isn't a problem.

Expect eventually that 17mb/s limit will go away

On topic: I might get a home loan soon to buy Diablo 4 this year.

I used to have
Am I reading that right, 15 seconds per Megabyte? 240MB per hour? 4 hours per gig?

I wouldn't want games companies to limit what they do to include the worst affected
Don't fret, there are many excellent games available to the worst affected. Tech moves on, it just doesn't get distributed evenly—but slowing down tech advancement isn't the answer.

On topic:
What, this isn't the topic? Oh…
@mjs warlord you should contact a mod to get this show back on the rails—if you can find one not stuffing their face or napping the aftermath.

Super Mario 64 cost $60 when it came out in 1998. In today's dollars, that would be around $110. I honestly can't believe we spent that much money on games back then
When I bought C&C in '95, I'm fairly sure it cost £50—at $ to £ then of 1.57, that would've been ~$78.50.
$1 in '95 ~$1.95 today, so I spent the equivalent of roughly $150 of today's currency back then.

While it was totally worth that, and more, it's still great that games have come down so much in price from the GODs.

Am I reading that right, 15 seconds per Megabyte? 240MB per hour? 4 hours per gig?
i never sat down to work it out. I just knew downloading games took a long time. I had Fallout 3 on my PS3 and until I got faster internet I just left game installed, as deleting it and redownloading would have wasted so much time.

I also didn't know there was a faster alternative. Went from 1.85 to 20mb/s... which wasn't actual speed I should have done but it was a nice step. Ended on 75 which while slow compared to Google Fibre, beats a lot of the people in my own country still.
1.85 was VDSL, all I have changed is adding a 2 on end - VDSL2

its the past for me but I have a friend who has 1.86 now and has been trying to download Just Cause 2 and The Crew in the last few days as I he has a new GPU and wants to play some games... that will happen to me soon too.

Think about this. Super Mario 64 cost $60 when it came out in 1998. In today's dollars, that would be around $110. I honestly can't believe we spent that much money on games back then. Especially since I'm paying $15/month on Game Pass and only playing games I can get on there now.

In case you are interested, you can get Game Pass for roughly 1$ each month if you let your subscription end and then renew it with one of those non-stackable subscriptions that some retailers offer. The one rule is that you can't have an active subscription while you enter the promo codes.

In case you are interested, you can get Game Pass for roughly 1$ each month if you let your subscription end and then renew it with one of those non-stackable subscriptions that some retailers offer. The one rule is that you can't have an active subscription while you enter the promo codes.
I still have like a year and a half before I have to worry about that.

Sarafan

Community Contributor

I rarely buy games at release date. This is reserved for exceptional situations. Given that you can get patched games for half price even a few months after they're released, there's almost no point in doing so. I also have a feeling that the prices of new games are a little too steep, but this is the reality of modern market. The cost of producing an AAA game these days is incomparably higher than 15-20 years ago. There are better development tools which speed up and simplify the process, but the amount of detail that has to be put in top titles is unimaginable. The only solution to this problem is to wait for sale before purchasing a new game. Personally, I don't have a problem with waiting for 3-6 months. Usually I wait even longer. :)

I'm still getting free games at a faster rate than I can play them, while games that are on my wishlist, like The Witcher 3, are selling for (well) under €10.

Same here. I have enough games for whole lifetime and I'm still adding new to my library. Right now I started to treat them as a form of collectible. I'll never play a lot of these games, but it's nice to have them in collection. :)

Last edited:
Same here. I have enough games for whole lifetime and I'm still adding new to my library. Right now I started to treat them as a form of collectible. I'll never play a lot of these games, but it's nice to have them in collection. :)

I see it as an investment into my daughter's future. I'll have a giant digital toy box for her to choose from as she grows up. So far it's working quite well. In fact, her desire for new games is actually greater than the influx of age-appropriate games.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
If it goes half price that fast, you probably don't want that game. The fact remains, though: games get better over the next year or two and cost less.

That's true. I intentionally exaggerated a little. :) Look at FIFA 23 for example though. The game is very good and it got discounted more than 50% in about 3 months. Bethesda games also have a tendency to get on sale quickly despite the fact that they're good.

and eat melted snow, plenty of nutritional value.
Don't eat the yellow snow!
Frank Zappa, audio clip edited (shortened):
View: https://youtu.be/shq0PoqGp84?t=100

the best Star Wars games were made in the past (Okay, maybe not Shadows of the Empire) but they don't look as pretty now.
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (2003), dated graphics & animations, but still my favorite PC game in the Star Was universe.
View: https://youtu.be/YixsKTtPNmc?t=3

Don't eat the yellow snow!
Frank Zappa, audio clip edited (shortened):
"Watch out where the Huskies go!" LOL

That used to be my sarcasm at the U Dub Huskies football team, until I realized the dream of my Wa State Cougars beating them consistently in the Apple Cup was never going to happen. That finally dawned on me when the great team they once had, with head coach Mike Leach no less (God rest his recently departed soul), couldn't beat them in the Apple Cup either, even at home!

Reactions: mainer

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (2003), dated graphics & animations, but still my favorite PC game in the Star Was universe.

I actually prefer KOTOR2. It introduced shades of grey to the Star Wars universe. A quite bold move by Obsidian, because it's not fully consistent with the original concept of this universe. Consistent or not, it's innovative and refreshing. I heard that Obisidian has a good idea for the next KOTOR game. Too bad that it probably won't happen...

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
*ehhhh* I remember when we had strings and cans strung to the neighbors house, that was our internet. You strummed the string once for a '1' and a 1 second pause for a '0' Then you had to record the data in a notebook, and transpose it to the abacus!

Sorry, couldnt resist :)

My first modem was a commodore VicModem 300 baud in 1984. Thats 300 BITS a second, or just under 1/3 of 1 kilobyte. I swear glaciers moved fasater than this thing, but I could dial a BBS in California, and OMG that was just so cool!

17mb/s may be slow by todays standards, but I suspect the problem is more the 'instant gratification' component of our society.

Dont get me wrong, I feel your pain, I have watched more paint dry than Sherwin Williams ever made waiting for downloads.

My best solution is to do something else and forget aout it. Start the DL and tell yourself you can play tomorrow, and that if tomorrow never comes for you, well, you probably didnt miss much, and it wont matter anyway. Thats what I do anyway.

As far as prices go, they always rise. My biggest beef in the last couple of years is the rate of inflation.

*ehhhh* I remember when we had strings and cans strung to the neighbors house, that was our internet. You strummed the string once for a '1' and a 1 second pause for a '0' Then you had to record the data in a notebook, and transpose it to the abacus!

Sorry, couldnt resist :)

My first modem was a commodore VicModem 300 baud in 1984. Thats 300 BITS a second, or just under 1/3 of 1 kilobyte. I swear glaciers moved fasater than this thing, but I could dial a BBS in California, and OMG that was just so cool!

17mb/s may be slow by todays standards, but I suspect the problem is more the 'instant gratification' component of our society.

Dont get me wrong, I feel your pain, I have watched more paint dry than Sherwin Williams ever made waiting for downloads.

My best solution is to do something else and forget aout it. Start the DL and tell yourself you can play tomorrow, and that if tomorrow never comes for you, well, you probably didnt miss much, and it wont matter anyway. Thats what I do anyway.

As far as prices go, they always rise. My biggest beef in the last couple of years is the rate of inflation.
LOL, eloquently stated, but yes, it IS all about timing one's download. Say you watch a movie before going to bed, then sleep 8 hrs, shower, then eat breakfast, then commute to work, work 8 hrs, commute back home. All that is the bulk of a 21 hr period.

That said, sales are often the exception, because most probably spend their weekend leisure hours looking for them, and making such purchases. The only thing I can say there is, if you don't have a 100 Mb ISP that can nab most games in a few hours, try doing something else for the remainder of the weekend other than gaming on those few weekends you buy sale price games. Then start the DL on Monday evening before the movie. Your brain will thank you for it, because it's a LOT less stress.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS