Giveaway Win an EPOS | SENNHEISER GSP 370 headset in our SpecialEffect Awareness Campaign

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
They enjoy games like everyone else.
This is a really touching story about a father who built a special gamepad for his special needs daughter, you can see the smile on her face when she finally gets a chance to play Zelda

May 5, 2020
Visit site
I used to have a friend who got physically impaired at the age of 5 after falling from the 5th floor balcony. Through the whole summer we were in the countryside, where we didn't have computers and the only thing we could do was to discuss games, what we could do there ad our ideas of improving the game. Another thing we could do was to read rare gaming magazines, even parts we didn't quite like or understand.

He was a real hardcore gamer. Hope he is well. Lost touch with him couple of years ago, can't find him on social networks, his health got worse nothing could take his humour away. Hope I find him

May 5, 2020
Visit site
This is awesome! I volunteer with differently-abled adults and children with therapeutic riding and it makes me happy to see inclusion spreading so far. I cannot imagine a life where video games become impossible, so SpecialEffect is doing something awesome for those who enjoy gaming of all kinds. Go SpecialEffect! :D

Reactions: SWard
May 1, 2020
Visit site
My younger cousin is mentally disabled and sometimes it's very hard for him to enjoy the things kids his age usually like. Gaming, however, has always proven to bring him joy and I hope it will continue to do so. Efforts like these from SpecialEffect have a really good chance to increase the quality of life of disabled people all around the world.

May 5, 2020
Visit site
I've seen the EyeMine video about a year ago and have been both enlightened and amazed at the technology we have now. At first, having never used it before, it always seemed so inconvenient and unintuitive to use, but at some point I realized that it is just my perspective, from playing games for years on a mouse and keyboard. It never even occured to me that people can play games in such a way. But I'm happy that they are able to, that it gives a chance to less fortunate people to enjoy video games as well.

Some time after that, I found out that one of my co-workers, who has minimal control in one of his arms, plays Dota 2, and he does it almost exclusively with a mouse, binding control groups, spells and other useful things on his MMO-style mouse with a ton of buttons. And he absolutely destroys me and most of my friends, despite being disadvantaged.

I think it's a really kind cause, videogames should be something that everyone can enjoy and I'm happy that we have groups who are fundraising accessibility solutions so that everyone can have a slice of the videogame pie.

Or... maybe it's actually a cake? Maybe the cake wasn't a lie after all.🎂

May 5, 2020
Visit site
After decades of being a gamer and hearing all the horrible stigmas attached to gamers and the companies it is so nice to see company having a campaign to help those who are disabled. Note to society that we do care, all of us and seeing a charity that is giving kids with disabilities moments of joy and epic wins (and losses) that gamers experience is so cool.

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Several months ago, I caught a virus that rendered my hands completely useless. I lost all sense of fine motor skills. I would TECHNICALLY move them, but in a very mannequin like way... only the thumbs really moved and like lobster claws at that. I saw my PC/Console life and entertainment as over. I was crushed for a bit in wondering if this was my "new norm". As I was going from test to test and doctor to doctor, it turns out the virus I had inflamed my nervous system, specifically my hands were the most affected.

I was told it would recover (eventually it did), but those months going through it were scary. I could not zip my pants (had to add a cable tie to the zipper), hold a fork, use a phone, button a shirt or well... use something as simple as a bathroom easily, let alone hold a controller or use a mouse/keyboard.

You REALLY appreciate your sense of moment when you lose it. Having an organization like SpecialEffect helps people that were either born with disabilities or have acquired them along life's way can be a Godsend. I have benefited by these kinds of organizations and for those that can provide a wonderful sense of escapism to someone battling these issues. It gives you a sense of control back, and that can be an amazing mood lift!

Good luck everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS