Why do you think my brothers pc is making this noise?

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
My brother just texted me saying that when he starts his pc, it almost sounds like a fan is unbalanced. He checked, and the fan is mounted to metal, and he thinks that's what's causing it, but after like a minute of being logged in, the noise goes away, and everything runs normal. Does that sound normal? He said it is like a vibrating sound.

Has he cleaned the fan? It could be dust.
How old is the PC as it could also mean fan is starting to die... it happens with age.
helps to make sure he knows what cause is before guessing but as only moving part in most PC is a fan, its probably a good place to start.

just replace the fan if you need to, they sell them in various sizes. I replaced all of mine in the last two years.

It is normal for fans to run faster at startup and after a minute or so, windows takes control of fan and slow them down. A similar thing happens with my PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
A pc's graphics card fans are supposed to spin fast for a few seconds at boot and stop until the card heats up.
Is he sure it is one of the other fans and not the graphics cards fan.

As he says it goes quiet after a few seconds tell him to load up a game that will put his pc under a lot of use.
The graphics card fans should not kick in till the temp gets to around 74 , if the cards fans kick in when the card gets hot and the noise comes back then its the cards fans , if not look at the others.

He didn't say it was the GPU fan, just that a fan was making noise. Most cases have more than just the one fan..

I have:
3 intakes on AIO
2 exhausts on Case
3 fans on GPU
1 on PSU.

figuring out where a noise is coming from in my case can be a lot of fun. Lucky I can turn most of them off with software, if I need to... no control over PSU fan. But I doubt it ever runs. Its fun when you stop them all and still get a noise... my case vibrates by itself. Could be all the fans.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Has he cleaned the fan? It could be dust.
How old is the PC as it could also mean fan is starting to die... it happens with age.
helps to make sure he knows what cause is before guessing but as only moving part in most PC is a fan, its probably a good place to start.

just replace the fan if you need to, they sell them in various sizes. I replaced all of mine in the last two years.

It is normal for fans to run faster at startup and after a minute or so, windows takes control of fan and slow them down. A similar thing happens with my PC.
His pc is only a few months old, but I'll tell him what you said here. Thanks

My case vibrates every day. On start up I will need to tap it near the power button and it stops... until next day. I was told to move it... that fixed it one day and it started next. I think mine caused by the fans on my AIO rattling against the AIO radiator (since I rotated then from push to pull)... I have a fix but tapping it has been easier than putting rubber spacers on every fan screw.
RrVCYGs.jpeg

12 spacers traveled all way from HK, fiddly little things.
Its odd as its only once a day. If I turn pc off and back on a few hours later, it rarely vibrates the second time.
It only started doing it about a month after I installed the AIO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts