What's a shooter game convention you'd like to see go away?

For me it's the wildly exaggerated rifle weapon spread that you find in a lot of games (but mostly older games), this weird RNG thing that sends your bullets on different trajectories every time you shoot, often with the shots going well off of where you actually aimed.

Let's make this perfectly clear. My father was a hunter and gun fanatic, and I spent many a weekend shooting guns of all types, and real rifles only have a very slight amount of spread. Even the cheapest rifle will shoot where you want it to after you've aligned the sights. (Please note that real pistols have a decent amount of spread, but we're only talking about a few inches for 25 yards, not 5 feet like you get in some games) What games are apparently trying to mimic is how hard it is to actually aim correctly while standing due to weapon sway and recoil, which are two things that are definitely real.

But recoil and sway are recreated in games, so why do we have to add crazy spread RNG? It's the reason I quit playing Borderlands. Even the energy weapons and lasers had wild spread! Imagine having a flashlight that shines in a different direction every time you turn it on. That's how I felt in Borderlands.

I understand having RNG involved if you aren't using a scope or iron sights, but if I AM using those, I want my projectile to go where I'm aiming.

Obviously, there are a lot of realistic games, too, and most of them do a pretty good job, but every now and then I come across a game like Borderlands and am just baffled by it.

But recoil and sway are recreated in games, so why do we have to add crazy spread RNG? It's the reason I quit playing Borderlands. Even the energy weapons and lasers had wild spread! Imagine having a flashlight that shines in a different direction every time you turn it on. That's how I felt in Borderlands.
I think Borderlands might be a bit more excused since you have to level up your skill tree and badass points that will make you able to control the weapons the way they are supposed to be controlled. At least it works like that from some of the weapons, but then again you also have something like the BL2 Doc Mercy infinity pistol that just lasers anything without having to invest any skill at all as it just works from the get-go.

As for what I would like to see go away it would have to be super op shotguns that one-shot people from longer distances. Like in PUBG, you can use a couple of shotguns that work pretty accurately with duckbills/choke and kill people in short distances. Then you also have something called DBS that can just wreck people from longer distances without any attachments at all. It is just stupidly accurate and got like 14 ammo, so you can spam the fire button and slaughter a full squad easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Overly used bass sounds on gunshots. Even the tiniest .22 rifle sounds like a medium siced howitzer most of the times. Gunshots be loud but they don't make the guy in the tank next to you get conussed (like happend with the jagtiger when firing next to some some regular tanks, or so it is said). So far the one game that reminds me the most of real shots going off is the Arma series.

Most annoying thing for me is shotguns having zero range. Most devs apparently don’t realize that in real life shotguns can shoot more than 5ft.

It seems video games vastly limit the range on all weapons compared to their real life counterparts. It's just the most noticeable on shotguns because they already have a low range. Here's some data I found for Call of Duty Warzone:

a80vxak516x41.jpg

wildly exaggerated rifle weapon spread

Git gud at aiming :p

My Borderlands 2 note says "Crap guns", I don't remember much else beyond its supposed open world not being so—but ETA brief experience for posterity. So yeah, it probably wasn't you—but don't you dare quote me on that, I'll deny vehemently.

super op shotguns that one-shot people from longer distances

Hmm. I don't want to agree cos I enjoy those from time to time, but yeah, I was really surprised first time I went to reload my rifle, which had just dispatched a couple of medium-distance baddies, and discovered I was still using my SPAS super shottie.

I avoid that usually tho by using the 'wider spread' setting, which is of course what I want from a shotgun.

What I'd like to go away

♣ Online requirement for SP—make it an option, as it's good for cloud save.
♦ Long intro sequences which are different from the main gameplay.
♥ Buggy launch—doesn't affect me, but…
♠ Crappy console UI ports.
♣ Anything unskippable—intro, cut scene, boss fight, vehicle mission, quest etc.
♦ Lack of toggle on basic controls like sprint and aim—holding a button down isn't fun for all.
♥ Horizontal bar mini-map style.
♠ Player can take ridiculous damage without dying—don't want anything near realism, but maybe a happy medium.

some data

Bejapers! So my SPAS is okay after all :D

Makes sense tho, encounter ranges are so much shorter in gaming, and need to be so unless it's a sim like Arma. Much more fun fighting the baddie 20m away than an occasional helmet view 200m away.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
Self-revive kits are another one that should be removed and hidden so no developers can find them. It is extremely annoying to snipe someone from a distance, then have them crawl around on a rooftop without aaaaany way for you to kill them, only for them to pop up again and start shooting. It makes absolutely no sense to have it, it's game-breaking, mind-bogglingly dumb mechanics and developers thinking it is a wonderful idea to have in a battle royale game should be fired immediately without any way to "revive" their case.

Oct 2, 2023
Visit site
One shooter game convention that some players and critics have expressed a desire to see go away is the overuse of microtransactions and loot boxes as a monetization strategy. These mechanics can often lead to pay-to-win scenarios or create an uneven playing field where those who spend more money have a significant advantage.

Many players prefer a more traditional approach to game monetization, where they pay a fair price upfront for the game and have access to all of its content without needing to spend additional money on randomized or pay-to-win elements. While some developers have moved away from aggressive microtransactions and loot boxes in response to player feedback, this convention still persists in some shooter games.

Ultimately, the desire is for shooter games to find more player-friendly ways to monetize, such as cosmetic item purchases or expansion packs, without compromising the integrity of the gameplay experience.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
For me it's the wildly exaggerated rifle weapon spread that you find in a lot of games (but mostly older games), this weird RNG thing that sends your bullets on different trajectories every time you shoot, often with the shots going well off of where you actually aimed.

Let's make this perfectly clear. My father was a hunter and gun fanatic, and I spent many a weekend shooting guns of all types, and real rifles only have a very slight amount of spread. Even the cheapest rifle will shoot where you want it to after you've aligned the sights. (Please note that real pistols have a decent amount of spread, but we're only talking about a few inches for 25 yards, not 5 feet like you get in some games) What games are apparently trying to mimic is how hard it is to actually aim correctly while standing due to weapon sway and recoil, which are two things that are definitely real.

I understand having RNG involved if you aren't using a scope or iron sights, but if I AM using those, I want my projectile to go where I'm aiming.

Obviously, there are a lot of realistic games, too, and most of them do a pretty good job, but every now and then I come across a game like Borderlands and am just baffled by it.
I love Battle Royale games but this is why I never clicked with Fortnite. The gun spray was all over the place. I was way more into PUBG and Warzone because I could rely on my aim.

TRENDING THREADS