Feature Ubisoft is working on an open world Star Wars game - what do you want to see?

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
67nEZG3ijy2SgmZMhhynwB-970-80.jpg.webp

"The newly rebranded Lucasfilm Games has announced that Ubisoft is developing an open-world Star Wars game. Wired got the scoop, and a few details: the game is being worked on by Massive Entertainment, developer most recently of The Division and its sequel, and its creative director is Julian Gerighty (director of The Division 2 and the Crew). Development is early days and the game will use Massive's Snowdrop Engine. "

Which begs the question, what would you want to see from an open world Star Wars game? Post your hopes and dreams in this thread!

May your thoughts be with us!

Last edited:

erdelf

Community Contributor
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Damn, that's a nice info drop. Hope to see more in the future.
Obviously the force is a nice element and can be used quite extensively for environment puzzles as well as combat.
If we are dreaming a jedi and sith path would be cool, so we can experiment with different powers, although grey jedis work for that as well I suppose.

• Pazaak
  • Spice trading
  • Hutball
  • Jumping puzzles
  • Be able to play as a slug
  • Gold bikini outfit (for scientific research purposes)
  • NO microtransactions, no dumb downed mechanics of any sort, and no greed!
  • Well written quest, no more "kill five rats and get ten gold"
  • Fully customizable personal ships and housing possibility
  • Player driven economy

Last edited:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, I know! I want to be able to play this guy;
found that guy to be cute back a decade ago when I played LEGO Star Wars :LOL:

erdelf

Community Contributor
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
  • Pazaak
  • Spice trading
  • Hutball
  • Jumping puzzles
  • Player driven economy

you seem to be awfully sure it's a space sim mmorpg.

Reactions: Frindis

Topperfalkon

PCG Club Legendary
Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I can't get myself overly excited about this one.

• I'd sooner see another proper RPG entry like KotOR, or even in the KotOR series.
  • Lucasfilm are sullying themselves by working with Ubisoft
  • I never was massively into The Division, and given the spec announced so far, this smells like "The Division, but Star Wars".
  • If it's all set on a single planet, it's probably going to suck
  • If it's set in space, it's going to really suck
  • If it has Jedi/Sith and they're player characters, lightsabers are probably going to be nerfed unless they switch to using combat similar to Valhalla
  • If it's online like The Division, the story will probably suck
  • If it completely ignores EU/Legends, it'll probably suck.
The only game I could possibly see myself wanting like that is something like what Star Wars 1313 was supposed to be, which would help capitalise on the popularity of Mando.

A Jedi/Sith based open-world might work, but I'm sceptical

Topperfalkon

PCG Club Legendary
Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Alright falkon, if you want, your micro transaction based shooter is still there to play.
Not sure what you're talking about?

Not played Battlefront 2 in a long while (good luck Ubisoft coming up with something similar that isn't garbage though), and neither Fallen Order nor Squadrons are, to my knowledge, MT-based shooters

erdelf

Community Contributor
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Not sure what you're talking about?

Not played Battlefront 2 in a long while (good luck Ubisoft coming up with something similar that isn't garbage though), and neither Fallen Order nor Squadrons are, to my knowledge, MT-based shooters

Ah, of course. Should have known your comments only regard what you like.
And of course, if you disregard EA's biggest title then your comment might at least somewhat make sense.

May 5, 2020
Visit site
make it like kotor.
GOOD STORY AND NO MICROTRANSACTION NONSENSE.
Maybe make every character you create unique, different skill trees and stuff that are balanced but not boring skills like 0.5% ammo size etc

Apr 27, 2020
Visit site
Not sure I would want Vader to be a playable character. He’s the ultimate baddy to induce fear. In the film he is virtually unmatched (except by Luke). I would see the playable character being an unknown goodie climbing the ranks to a crescendo against the ultimate nemesis.

Reactions: Robertom10
Hmm... I really enjoyed the first Division, but the second one really leads me to believe they have no idea how they made such a great game the first time. So I'm a little apprehensive about this, but oh my am I happy to see someone other than EA getting to make Star Wars games again.

What I want out of a SW game is for a studio to emulate the success of LucasArts, who made so many fantastic games in the universe. But getting more specific, I'd first like to see a game that doesn't bank on nostalgia to succeed or tell a story. No more iconic characters. And maybe a little less Jedi oriented stuff. The best thing about SWG in the early days was that it took inspiration from the HUGE universe of Star Wars to put you in the various other roles in the universe. And it was so much more interesting than someone elses take on the space wizards. It had the advantage of trying to stay cannon and the time period didn't allow other Jedi to exist, so for a while it was a very unique SW experience. Don't get me wrong, jedi and lightsabers are great. But there is so much more that can be done with the universe that has been created over the years.

The two older games I'd love to see a developer take influence from are the Jedi Knight/Academy games and KOTOR. They both provided such great gameplay opportunities. Jedi Academy had such a great online community, mods and game modes. And KOTOR was just an excellent RPG in the Star Wars universe.

Reactions: badman
i would hope for just one big planetary battle. Either take part as the Empire or the rebel alliance attacking a world. basically you're a freelance agent that goes about influencing the conflict. The world should should have loads of AI battles and units just going off to attack each other constantly. You would influence key battles attacking key areas, completing secondary objectives to weaken areas to make it generally easier. There would be a load of missions to shift the frontlines to ultimately lead one to victory. Or... just see the world burn and see all sides lose.

Dec 18, 2020
Visit site
Let's see the following make it in one game:

-Seamless travel from planet to space (no man's sky)

- Extensive character customization (multiple races)

-Tons of armor and clothing options.

-Dye options on all armor, weapons, and mounts/vehicles.

-Purchase multiple star ships and customize their load out.

-Space combat.

-Customize interior of starship because we should be able to walk around inside.

-Ability to purchase and place your home anywhere on a planet then customize it with the armor, weapons, and trophies of the galaxy (star wars galaxies)
OR.
-Craftable bases/buildings (ARK)

-Provide modding tools to the community.

-Allow for a character to become whatever class or specialization they want (elder scrolls series)

-Have your game set in one era (probably clone since that's the most popular even though the empire is my favorite) and let the modders move it to others. If you choose the least favorite era with first order then you can have all the other era items in game as "relics of the past" and go back as memories to play through certain battles or events.

-Large scale battles

-Freedom to do whatever (skyrim)

Zloth

Community Contributor
You might remember that Massive was responsible for another little game called World in Conflict?

How about the first ever open world RTS game? Make it play much like Sacrifice (from Shiny days of yore) only, instead of one little battlefield, you and your troops can wander the world and even move from world to world.

Reactions: Frindis

Topperfalkon

PCG Club Legendary
Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
You might remember that Massive was responsible for another little game called World in Conflict?

How about the first ever open world RTS game? Make it play much like Sacrifice (from Shiny days of yore) only, instead of one little battlefield, you and your troops can wander the world and even move from world to world.
Would that be like Mount & Blade almost?

Reactions: Zloth
Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I would like them to explore the non-Jedi parts of Star Wars, let the Jedi: Insert Name Here from EA be the Jedi content. Would love to see you become a badass Spy/Soldier/Bounty Hunter earning a living/fighting for your cause. I loved playing The Old Republic as an Imperial Agent/Republic Trooper, please let's explore something more than being a Jedi!!!!!!

Reactions: Mazer
Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
  • Pazaak
  • Spice trading
  • Hutball
  • Jumping puzzles
  • Player driven economy

I'd be fine with microtransactions if they're only available for cosmetics and POSSIBLY slight convenience items (something that gives no competitive advantage but makes life a bit easier in one aspect or another).

---

My biggest want will probably be a true open world experience....I don't want to have to wait while my character transitions from one area to another, have to select an area on a map just to travel there, etc. I hate when some MMO-esque games have something like a social space completely closed off from other areas of the world - it's much nicer being able to stroll into town and visa versa.

Dec 20, 2020
Visit site
  • Multiplayer/Co-op features with crossplay
  • Buy spaceships
  • A good level up system for the player and upgrade system for weapons
  • Skills tree
  • Good story
  • Many lightsabers! :)
  • a good travel system (with all star wars planets... ok many of them)
  • Missions that have a point
I also want, the community and the gamers, to have the opportunity to suggest ideas and new features.

Reactions: badman

TRENDING THREADS