Training to be come a PC gamer (with mouse/keyboard)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I am in the middle of buying my parts for a gaming pc, see signature of my spec.

I have an old iMac keyboard (2006), and I have an old wireless logitech mouse, maybe 12 years old... I am going to get new ones over the next year with my birthday/christmas (with other bits like wifi and bluetooth cards.

For now I will be running linux (still unsure what version) then I will try and run both Windows 10, and Linux on the same system sometime near December 2020. I will have 120GB SSD, where I will have linux, the only game I want on linux is RuneScape. I want to train however before I get back into RuneScape by training. Are there any games that help train using the keyboard and mice? I don't mind really basic or old games, as long as they are free or cheap. I am thinking something like minesweeper (for mouse).

Thank You

Aimtrainer.io is a perfect tiny game to get used to a mouse with. It has several modes and difficulty options.

For keyboard, I'm honestly not sure since I don't know what runescape uses for keyboard controls. If you don't know your way around a keyboard that well yet maybe something simple like Type Racer would be useful to you.

If you can already type OK, a lot of games, first person shooters in particular use the WASD keys for movement. If you want to bring movement and mouse skill together, you have two options in my eyes. Both will be quite difficult to get good at but Quake and Counter Strike: Global Offensive are probably the best games on the market in that respect. Quake is more difficult to learn the movement aspect, where as CS:GO requires incredibly fine aim to be effective.

If you'd like to try another top down RPG, Path of Exile is infinitely deep but still accessible enough for a new user to get started in. I would recommend finding a tutorial to follow for your first character though, because it's easy to build one that simply can't complete the later game stuff.

I can type, no problems I used to play games via PC before 2005. I have just got to get my brain back into the keyboard mouse as I have been used to the xbox controller for the past 15 years. There aren't many keyboard shortcuts in RuneScape, just a few found here.

Which is supposed to be very good. It doesn't run natively on Linux yet (scheduled for Summer apparently) but I understand it runs on Linux via Valve Proton

Proton is worth looking at in its own right if you are new to Linux and also re-entering PC gaming :)

Sep 10, 2020
Visit site
Have you tried 3D Aim Trainer they have pretty cool training routines that start from beginner and go to pro as you progress? I found them when I wanted to train for Valorant, they're training guides are really helpful.

Hello

I am in the middle of buying my parts for a gaming pc, see signature of my spec.

I have an old iMac keyboard (2006), and I have an old wireless logitech mouse, maybe 12 years old... I am going to get new ones over the next year with my birthday/christmas (with other bits like wifi and bluetooth cards.

For now I will be running linux (still unsure what version) then I will try and run both Windows 10, and Linux on the same system sometime near December 2020. I will have 120GB SSD, where I will have linux, the only game I want on linux is RuneScape. I want to train however before I get back into RuneScape by training. Are there any games that help train using the keyboard and mice? I don't mind really basic or old games, as long as they are free or cheap. I am thinking something like minesweeper (for mouse).

Thank You

Hey, OP, i didn't know anything about RuneScape, so I looked up a gameplay video on it. On Steam there is a free game called Path of Exile which you may want to check out. It's a fantastic game and looks very similar to RuneScape (just based on the brief RS video I scanned). I think use of the mouse/keyboard would be very similar here. It doesn't look like you really need the aim training others are suggesting.

Path of Exile doesn't list Linux support, but you can go here to see how to get it running on Linux fairly easily: https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/play-path-of-exile-on-linux/#:~:text=Path of Exile is a,Steam Play, times are changing.

Any game that interests you can train you on a keyboard and mouse, most games utilize both. If you are looking in the vein of Runescape and to not mention one thats been listed, try Grim Dawn. Its cheap and its a massive game in the same vein as Path Of Exile.

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
If you are specifically looking for mouse practice, then I would suggest to try clickspeedtester. I usually test my mouse skills, By saying mouse skills, I mean how fast I can click my mouse. Usually we do that a lot in minecraft. It is measured in CPS. You can choose from various options like 1 second, 5 second, 10 second.
I usually go with 10 and then jump to 5.

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
If you wanna improve your mouse aim. Then I would suggest you try the aim booster game. I personally tried using the aim trainer online and it really helps in improving my aiming skills. You can also use it to improve your mouse aiming skills.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021
Visit site
I would just play a game that you enjoy...not sure the kind of games you are into but an arcade shooter would be good.

You want to slowly build your muscle memory and if it was me, I would actually want to have fun while doing it to.

Oct 11, 2020
Visit site
If you are specifically looking for mouse practice, then I would suggest to try clickspeedtester.com I usually test my mouse skills, By saying mouse skills, I mean how fast I can click my mouse. Usually we do that a lot in minecraft. It is measured in CPS. You can choose from various options like 1 second, 5 second, 10 second.
I usually go with 10 and then jump to 5.

Update: After more than 6 months of training now, here's my CPS! 🤘

bevT6P.jpg

Reactions: Brian Boru
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS