The last game you completed

Page 12 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Another game chalked off. This time its the old classic game Soldier of fortune the community edition no less. It was ok. I finished it in 3 days. i think i might have been playing it on easy difficulty after i customised the difficulty. Did i like it? meh, its aged and my fun was impacted.

i had expected this one to last a bit longer, but oh well i'll play doom 2 wad and try and finish Mapwich.

Reactions: Sarafan
May 19, 2020
Visit site
Finished Half Life: Alyx, after a long break when "Jeff" stopped all progress.
Recently I saw I could just skip "Jeff" and move onto the next level. *Phew*
The end is great, especially if (as I have) you have played the whole HL story.
And it is pretty terrifying, borderline a horror game. Head crabs... Nope! :LOL:

Reactions: Zloth and Sarafan
I just finished Oxenfree. It was O.K. Not too much game there and the story was just enough to pull me through, but wasnt really saying anything that interested me. Happy it wasnt too long.

I really appreciated the art style of the backgrounds, and the music and general sound design was fantastic. Lots of ambient electronica, with a bit of glitch thrown in with the sound effects. Nice.

Reactions: Sarafan

Zloth

Community Contributor
Finished Mad Max. Kind of a cross between the Batman Arkham games and Ubisoft's formula. The landscape doesn't make the slightest bit of sense (umm, why is the ocean gone!?) but it looks awesome. Perfect for screaming around the landscape in a deadly car. Bosses were a disappointment: all but one of them fought (and even looked) pretty much the same. Car vs. car fights were done well but you get ganged up on so much that it's certain doom for the first half of th egame. Hand-to-hand is plenty fun and that's what you spend most of your time with. The story is very Mad Max'ish, too!

SUPERB game when you consider that it's a game based on a movie that doesn't begin with the word "Star."

P.S. Mouse and keyboard work great for all activities save driving. I drove OK through most of the game but had to switch to a controller near the end when a race went through a lot of tight tunnels. You really have to be able to make slight corrections in that race which the keyboard just can't do.

Oh i suppose i'll throw this one onto the completed list. At work during my lunch breaks i play on the Raspberry pi that has RetroArch set up on it, its taken me nearly 2-3 months of on and off play, but i finished suikoden on the playstation. All things considered not the longest JRPG and it hasn't aged very well. Plots a bit thin in places, but i guess it was a product of its time.

Did i enjoy it? meh, it was ok . There were bits that were good and some things that just got me gritting my teeth and hating the game. The limited inventory whilst realistic just meant i couldn't carry a lot. Include the clunky UI and practically non descript of the magic mechanics (or the spells themselves) made things harder then they should have been. Oh and throw in some minor niggles that hacked me off like back at base you had to traverse 4 floors and inbetween them were just empty rooms like staircases etc. What's the bloody point including them in the game?! Oh there was an elevator system you could build but only if you found the right person. Want a world map or a power to just warp back to base? Got to find that person as well.

Embarrassingly i didn't find the world map guy until 70% through the game. Thank god the map wasn't that difficult to navigate/remember or i really would have been tearing my hair out.

I was hoping to export my save game over to its sequel (just playing an 30min and its a massive improvement over the first) but alas the save game file didn't work. Which is a shame, then again my characters weren't that high powered to benefit from exporting so no big loss.

Reactions: Zloth
Just finished another indie game: Hot Tin roof: the cat that wore a fedora.

did i like it? meh, it was ok. had character and passion and all but honestly i wasn't particularly invested in it. Story wise i wasn't paying all that much attention and instead trying to blitz through it as quickly as a i could. Whilst you can play through the game multiple times with different endings, going through it once was more then enough thank you.

There were a few technical niggles and issues i had with the game. namely to do with path's aren't always signposted so you have no idea when you could move to a different plane and into new areas. I got particulary stuck at the hi-table gum factory when after i got through the chimney stacks to the exec offices, i couldn't get the doors open. A quick search revealed besides going into a door there was a pathway. I suppose stupidly obvious but at the same time it could have helped if maybe they zoomed out the screen and shown that there was a path there. A few camera angle problems but otherwise ok.

Would i recommend it? meh, you're not missing out much if you didn't get it. Especially if you paid full rrp of 10.99.

Christ, i really need to find a game i like. So far a lot of what i played has been decidedly average or i'm indifferent to.

Another game down. Just another 375 to go! Except the endless delve league starts this friday. So... maybe i'll pick another indie game to cross off the list.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Finished Children of Morta right before the release of Cyberpunk 2077. :) I enjoyed the game. It's a hack 'n slash with really good story focused on family relations. I also liked the pixel art graphics. There are some beautiful backgrounds there although the main levels are quite schematic. The game has an interesting character development system in which you unlock family traits that give bonuses to every character. I might be trying New Game + at some point, because the game was really relaxing.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Time to resurrect the thread. This time its Dead Rising 4.

TLDR: I had fun with it, but there is a lot i would like to get off my chest about this game. Out of the entire series, it did feel like a bit of a let down. I blame this down on several things that can be boiled down to them not giving a **** anymore. 60%-70% sounds about right. Get it for less then a tenner.

The location. Setting it back in Willamette wasn't a bad thing, its just that the map design was a big let down. The game starts great and and ends in a whimper. When you first enter the mall, its amazingly detailed and I had a lot of time picking through all the stores and the lack of a time restraints meant i could enjoy it greatly. It had wonderful set pieces, lots of stores that were lovingly crafted with individual details, sound etc.

But once you leave the mall it sort of goes down hill. Old town retains some of its charm, but as you progress the map becomes more and more open and empty. From large residential estates to farms and industrial areas and it just feels rushed and empty. Especially when even in these small areas not all the buildings are accessible. I can forgive the mall having a few areas locked down as there was a lot of positives but outside its slightly inexcusable. Sure the idea was that each section would give you a variety of items (home appliances, farm utilities etc) and you would travel to the mall for everything else, but the execution just didn't feel right. maybe going back to Willamette wasn't the best option? The town could be quite small and wasn't like a city like in DR3

i commend Capcom for returning the game back to its light hearted mood as opposed to DR3 more gritty feel, but it seems like we're missing a whole load of crafting options that DR3 had. I mean, you could argue that DR3 had too many and DR4 still offers some flexibility (combine any electronic item with gems to create laser sword for example), but there wasn't as many formulas. no more fireaxe hammer combo, no combine shotgun with AR, etc. There are fewer vehicle designs compared to DR3 (again probably because it was a city and we got the GOTY edition). In some cases playing on hard i opted not to craft weapons as they break much faster. hell, my katana would last longer then my flame sword. Hell many of the useful non weapon finishers in DR3 are gone. weren't told if there was a way to select them.

i could go on and on about the reasons as to why to why it felt like Capcom just gave up and pushed it out the door and my critisms about multiplater, the DLC etc. No more psychopaths. instead, maniacs with no sequence to introduce them and even then, there were fewer of them and they weren't that inspired or varied compared to the originals or how the DLC Frank Rising felt like they took the DR overtime part and sold it separately, but the but the bit that killed it off? The bugs.

Sound cutting out every so often, gun range issue (shoot a bullet into the distance and it disappears after a while), several times i crashed my vehicle only to see it rocket through the sky, There were several occasions the AI would break NPCs running constantly into walls and in 2 separate occasions meant i had to restart because they got caught on scenery and i couldn't progress. but i couldn't finish the Capcom heroes DLC as the game would constantly crash at the end of case 5 (incidentally that escape part was easily the worst part of the game). looking online on google and i'm not alone in this problem. i'm grateful i could finish the main game and see the whole story.

So would i recommend it? i got the whole thing for a tenner and honestly DLC I could live without it. I think for 4.99/ 7.18? yeah its worth it, but my enjoyment was seriously hampered by the bugs and it could have been much much greater then it is and that's the biggest shame.

I've made a bit of progress my backlog. Some I've actually beaten and some I've abandoned. I beat Dishonored 1 and 2 and Metro: Exodus. The Dishonored series was definitely worth playing and I enjoyed myself. Metro: Exodus was excellent but I'm not in love with the whole "karma" system. It doesn't really work for me and clashes with the post-apocalyptic setting.

It terms of games that I left by the wayside, those include The Forest and Dragon's Dogma. First, the The Forest has absolutely atrocious UI. I think it is a cardinal sin in gaming when you are fighting with the controls. So that was a no-go for me. For Dragon's Dogma it's a little more complicated. I think it is a solid game in many ways, and depending on your tastes you could easily like it a lot. The combat and character customization is quite strong; there is build diversity and the pawn system is relatively unique. However, for me the major problem is that the game completely lacks a hook to keep me interested. The story is bad, there are no interesting characters, and on the whole these factors contribute to the world feeling lifeless and uninteresting.

It is interesting to compare Dragon's Dogma to Dragon Age: Origins. I started DA:O recently so I happen to have seen them in close succession. DA:O also has companions with you. The difference is that they are phenomenal, interesting characters that actually have personality. The story is also far better and I got hooked very quickly. Ultimately, it comes down to personal taste. For me, fantasy RPGs are about connecting to the world through the story, characters, and dialogue. Dragon's Dogma doesn't succeed at any of those things.

I just ascended to enlightenment for the first time in Cultist Simulator

I've really been drawn in by it. A card based game where you perform actions by applying cards to different 'Verbs' such as work, dream, talk. Different results occur giving you other resource cards that can then be used in avariety of ways. You just have to try things, and make notes of the results.

There's no tutorial at all, all the cards you receive have some flavour text on them that sometimes give clues as to what they might do or what other cards they might combine with to progress.

Explaining any further would be going into spoilers. Basically you will form a cult and progress your occult knowledge. I enjoy the way the lack of explanation really makes you feel like you are researching some kind of secret ancient lore in order to work out how to actually play the game.

Its written by the same person who created Fallen London and Sunless Sea, if you enjoy that kind of weird Lovecraftianish fantasy you might find something here.

It does get a bit grindy at times, when you know you need a certain card and how to get it involves combining multiple other cards in different ways that RNG may or may not allow you to do in time, as some cards decay on a timer. Otherwise I love it, there are multiple different starts and multiple endings, although it seems to me the game might play out similarly in the middle no matter what start you choose.

8/10, will transcend existence as we know it again.

Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis. After a few decades, and a still working Pentium 90 and SoundBlaster AWE32, with Windows 95/MS-DOS 6.22 installed, I went straight to work. Yep, had to still use a walkthrough. This game is great, but there are ways to die, and get stuck, so thankfully there is plenty of Saved Games room in the menu. Some good dialogue and perhaps it is the true Indiana Jones 4.

Love these LucasArts classics!

indiana-jones-and-the-fate-of-atlantis-54254.jpg

Last edited:
Dipped into Halo: MCC as of late with Halo 3: ODST and Halo 4. I've played the original trilogy a ton, and some of my favorite early gaming memories are from Halo: CE. Overall I really enjoyed both of them. Certainly not as good as the original trilogy but enjoyable Halo experiences nonetheless.

One thing that is notable to me is the hate surrounding Halo 4. Coming from someone who played all the original games extensively, it seems a bit overstated to me. The core gameplay loop is largely intact, and if that wasn't good the original trilogy would not be so highly revered. It is certainly not as good of a game, but I have a hard time believing that one would truly hate it if they enjoyed the other games. The biggest thing, in my view, is that the enemy design of the prometheans was bafflingly bad. I'm not sure why anyone thought it would be fun to fight these enemies. But, man, fighting those prometheans are indeed low points for the entire series. That being said, at its core it provides a solid Halo experience and it's only $9.99.

Just finished Halo 4. I haven't played it since release, but it still holds up. I remember it getting lots of hate, but I still enjoyed the campaign.

I've now re-played all the Halo games in MCC for PC. Probably going to try and complete them all on legendary (Reach is already completed on legendary, as that was easy as pie, but I've got all the others to do)

Finished Dragon Age: Origins for the first time. Overall I had a good time with it and it's a really solid fantasy RPG. I will say, though, that my enjoyment was curtailed a bit due to its instability on modern hardware. Constant crashes and even one of my saves corrupted, so saving constantly became a part of the game. Some DLC I left unfinished because I got sick of the crashes. Nonetheless, it's a very strong game. I've already started on Dragon Age II which, despite it's rather mixed reception, I'm still enjoying quite a bit so far.

Reactions: JCgames and Zloth
Alright so I finally found time to get back to my Deus Ex Mankind Divided replay, and wow, I remember playing it 4.5 years ago and I had missed a lot of content due to sticking to the main story and ignoring almost all the side quests, do not do that!

So this time I had done New Game Plus, and carried over my augmentations and inventory items from my 2016 saved game, and explored just about everywhere this time. The game is so much better, and I have better appreciation for it. I went for the "do not kill anyone" achievement, by just knocking people out or using the stun gun everywhere I went. On the bigger guards/robots I used EMP grenades or EMP ammo to disable them. It's actually a lot of fun and refreshing to run into two guards and then tapping 'Q' and both are knocked out swiftly. It's actually a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Coming fresh off of Cyberpunk 2077, this is definitely the game to check out, there are many similarities. Mankind Divided's story fits snug between the events of Human Revolution and 2000's Deus Ex, there are many references to both games, and the conspiracy continues onward.

With my new RTX 3080, I was able to play in full settings this time, and the game looks incredible--especially today, though I still had to reduce MSAA for some reason it still slows down everything at max.

9.5/10, fantastic game, yes I wish it was longer but definitely do all the side quests and points of interest--well worth it. Great voice acting and dialogue. Fantastic music, especially at TF29 HQ. Fantastic locations, like Golem City's Utalek Complex and Prague's many shops to explore.

I never did check out the DLC prequel for this game, I may have to do that now!

I've finished Dragon Age II now. Origins is definitely a better game but I had fun with the second game nonetheless. Despite it being quite flawed I just found myself thoroughly enjoying the experience. The re-using of spaces to such an extent is definitely a major downside. Nonetheless, alongside playing Inquisition for a fair few hours now, it highlights for me that having open worlds that are massive and impressive doesn't add all that much to the playing experience.

While Dragon Age II is a bit far in the opposite direction - too small and linear - the idea of "hub worlds" rather than massive open worlds just seems to work better (generally). Inquisition's world is extremely impressive. It is massive and has a ton of detail. But, at the end of the day, what does it really do for the game? It is unnecessarily large with mostly insignificant content to justify its size. I would much rather have smaller, curated experiences with a hub to connect everything together. Despite them being awe-inspiring from a technical and graphical perspective, too many open world games games do not justify the enormous worlds they have.

That being said, I really enjoy open world games when done properly. I just think it is really hard to get right. I think The Witcher 3 managed to pull it off because so many of the side quests were of such high quality and the dialogue was consistently excellent. But overall I think most games would benefit from more scaled down, curated experiences.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
The Suicide of Rachel Foster
Another one of those small walking sims that tries to be a bit unique because of themes. And I guess for some people these themes may be disturbing, but for me the way they were delivered were... lackluster.
While the story wasn't bad by itself, a lot of the game left much to be desired. Player can go all around the whole hotel, but there isn't really any reason to do so - other than story progression that is almost forced upon the player.

Let's say game tells you to visit 2nd floor for "inspection" and as soon as you check one thing, the "chapter" ends and you're forced to go to the next one. Yeah sure, you can then ignore the current objective and go back to that 2nd floor, but.... there won't be anything worthwhile.

What is typical for this kind of games, lack of any actual gameplay or choice, this is expected, but the story seems undercooked at few occasions. What irked me a bit was the fact that some elements were a bit lazy. Player can pick up and "observe" some objects like books and quite a lot of these books had grammar errors, missing words etc. One even had a lorem ipsum all over it's back - no idea if that was supposed to be an easter egg or not, but it wasn't hidden away, literally lying next to some Very Important Stuff for player to inspect. Not to mention picking up 99% of objects makes no damn difference. There's nothing to learn from them, no hidden messages or secrets that may put the story or characters in different light.

All in all, bit disappointed.

Cyberpunk 2077 Corpo. Thinking of making a review on it.

Were there a lot of Corpo-specific moments/tasks/jobs?

I played as a Nomad, but other than the very beginning, it seemed to have almost no impact, other than occasional dialogue where I could flex my Nomad cred or whatever, though rarely in a way that mattered at all.

I played through Sekiro one more time, because I wanted to take out Demon of Hatred as I didnt bother the first time I made it all the way through.

I've never played a game with such a satisfying combat system. When you're parrying, dodging, hitting the mikiri counter or timing the jump just right to bounce on some angry samurai's head it feels sooo good. Of course, it took dozens of hours of cumulative repeated dying to get to that point. But once you're in the zone it just flows so beautifully.

TRENDING THREADS