The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (9 October to 15 October)

Page 4 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
My actor brother is now officially a competitive lumberjack :ROFLMAO:

Being my brother, I told him he was just lucky I wasn't a competitive lumberjack because I would kick his arse.

This is the first regular job he's had in many years. Knoxville is one of the largest producers of television shows because Warner Discovery is headquartered here. So they have lord knows how many channels they are making shows for. ID Channel, HGTV, Travel, Science, Life, TLC, and on and on. But he's been getting fewer and fewer gigs. He even moved to New York for awhile, but said there were fewer shoots and more competition.

So now he's back and a competitive lumberjack.:rolleyes:

Zloth

Community Contributor
@Pifanjr I think I remember that! Was it this location?
full

If it was, I got burned by the same thing. Then I look down and see "mind the gap" - aaarggghhh!!!

May 11, 2022
Visit site
Dakar Desert Racing does the same thing Dakar 18 did and I fell for it again.

The handling doesn't work. It just doesn't. Once again they came up with my absolute wet dream of a rally game and it handles like Crazy Taxi.

I'm not even asking for Dirt Rally levels of physics, really all I wanna do is FEEL like I'm dealing with wheelspin and traction because I'm going flat out on dirt and sand.

It's crazy that a game like Baja Edge of Control came out in 2008 and nailed desert racing. It's crazy that 10 year old kids with a gamepad and some practice can drift a car around a corner in dirt rally. It's crazy how Forza Horizon 5 nails the arcade interpretation of desert and off-road racing and isn't even trying to pretend it's realistic, yet you can absolutely throttle in and out of slides and steer the car with your right foot.

It's like Saber doesn't realize that your average driving game these days implements traction to varying levels of realism and that people are actually USED to the concept of throttle control, inertia and semi realistic handling when the back end goes out.

They made a rally game so hardcore you get lost all the time and plow flat out through massive clouds of dust at top speed with zero visibility while your copilot drives the car with his words and scribbles on paper are the difference between life and death, yet not hardcore enough that you feel connected to the ground in a meaningful way, and if you have the misfortune of losing the back end even slightly, you are going to spin out 180 degrees and no amount of skills and experience gathered through years and years of playing racing games or driving an actual car is going to translate into saving your ass.

Brutal navigation and hazardous driving that will frustrate the more casual players mixed with some frankly bizarre and absurd handling that will frustrate rally game fans.

Who the heck is this game for?

Saber, what are you doing guys? Please get it together on this. I'm playing this game and I'm enjoying it to an extent but why the hell don't you go all out? What's going on? I can drift a lorry in Snowrunner but can't throttle out of a slide in Dakar. PLEASE.

Last edited:
It depends on how much health the rest of your models had left, as well as how much ammunition.
Everyone except for one unit that got hit by a big spell was nearly full, and I didn't have any ranged units. But they may also consider percentage lost overall. Even though I only lost 100, that was twenty percent of my force, I had 4 heroes I was going to distribute to armies. I transport them in armies because they are less likely to be assassinated during the long journey. Anyway, to be perfectly honest, don't know how much health they had left. I wasn't concerned about any of them, but they weren't full, as they did most of the murdering.

I don't really mind that it said it was a close victory, even though you get less experience for that. What bothers me more is that there isn't another category for when you beat overwhelming odds. I know there's a Heroic Victory, but I don't know how you trigger it. Seems like it only happens to me with victories using garrisons.

Zloth

Community Contributor
OK, maybe a little fever (he says after napping for 5 hours)

Removing the XBox 360 controller seems to have worked. Or maybe it's because I'm playing in shorter bursts lately? I guess I'll find out today.

Wow. Unless you're fighting swarms of insects, that's the kind of victory that can win a war all by itself. Give a couple hundred of those captured enemies some details on where their government officials live and free them so they can go home and tell the nation that they've got NO business fighting you. You should see regime change in a month or two.

My actor brother is now officially a competitive lumberjack :ROFLMAO:
Wait a minute. So your dad won a Nobel, and your brother is an actor and competitive lumberjack? You're probably the most awesome person I've ever known! My ancestors came to Indiana from Knoxville. I kind of hope we're distantly related. :D

I didn't know that about Knoxville being a big producer of TV shows. That's pretty cool. I lived in Wilmington, NC for a while, and they used to have a small movie studio that put out a few decent movies back in the day. I doubt if any of them were big blockbusters, but there were a few that I saw.

Wait a minute. So your dad won a Nobel, and your brother is an actor and competitive lumberjack? You're probably the most awesome person I've ever known! My ancestors came to Indiana from Knoxville. I kind of hope we're distantly related. :D

I didn't know that about Knoxville being a big producer of TV shows. That's pretty cool. I lived in Wilmington, NC for a while, and they used to have a small movie studio that put out a few decent movies back in the day. I doubt if any of them were big blockbusters, but there were a few that I saw.
1) My dad DID NOT win a Nobel prize. He was nominated once along with a few hundred other people.

2) One of my brothers is an actor whose acting gig is playing as a competitive lumberjack at a dinner theater because he couldn't find any other work.

3) We're not originally from Knoxville.

4) Despite all this harsh reality creeping into your fever dream, I'm definitely the most awesome person that you know nothing about yet attempt tirelessly to annoy the $h1t out of.

As for Knoxville, I moved here because I enjoyed the town when I attended UT. Mom and Dad moved here after Dad retired to be close to their grandkids. My actor brother moved here so he would be close enough to the rest of us to ask us for money and a place to sleep, and my software engineer brother occasionally stays with me just because he likes moving around the country and comes here in between stops.

Last edited:
OK, maybe a little fever (he says after napping for 5 hours)

Removing the XBox 360 controller seems to have worked. Or maybe it's because I'm playing in shorter bursts lately? I guess I'll find out today.

Wow. Unless you're fighting swarms of insects, that's the kind of victory that can win a war all by itself. Give a couple hundred of those captured enemies some details on where their government officials live and free them so they can go home and tell the nation that they've got NO business fighting you. You should see regime change in a month or two.
Their ragtag armies picked the wrong partial army to pick on. I was transporting the best units and heroes I had to armies a decent distance away. My general who was leading the group was level 32, and they didn't have a single unit that could damage him. He killed an insane number of enemies (I can't remember now exactly. Fought too many battles. I just know it was in the hundreds).

I'd like to say it was because of ingenious tactics, but we really just walked up and kicked their arses.

If you've ever played a Total War game before, these are completely different in terms of realism. In Medieval, you avoided at all costs putting your general in a fight because he would die just like anyone else. In Warhammer, they are like demigods. Only the toughest units stand a chance against them, and the heroes are not quite as strong, but close, and I had 4 of them.

As for Knoxville, I moved here because I enjoyed the town when I attended UT. Mom and Dad moved here after Dad retired to be close to their grandkids. My actor brother moved here so he would be close enough to the rest of us to ask us for money and a place to sleep, and my software engineer brother occasionally stays with me just because he likes moving around the country and comes here in between stops.
1. Sorry for annoying you so much... :(

2. So your brother is not a rich and famous actor; he's a struggling actor. That sucks.

Reactions: Pifanjr
1. Sorry for annoying you so much... :(

2. So your brother is not a rich and famous actor; he's a struggling actor. That sucks.
I don't know if you are taking me for an idiot or what, but please lay off the hollow flattery and exaggerations. I am not someone who is admired, so mock admiration angers me.

And for my brother there's no struggle. He's never worked an honest day in his life. He's never wanted for anything, and he's excited about being a lumberjack. He doesn't care about material things, has never purchased a car or paid rent or bought insurance. He loves performing, whether in front of a camera or before an audience, and that's what he does. If it weren't for his father, he'd be performing on a street corner somewhere to get food, and he'd probably still be happy as a clam.

Last edited:
I don't know if you are taking me for an idiot or what, but please lay off the hollow flattery and exaggerations. I am not someone who is admired, so mock admiration angers me.
Really man? Whatever I've said was always meant to be lighthearted. I've never once intended to mock you. I've enjoyed the stuff you've posted here, so I'm really not intending to get under your skin at all. I've never once had a negative thought about you. Thought we were all here to have a good time. I guess I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS