The Currently Playing & Random Game Thoughts Thread (10 July to 16 July)

Been playing a ton of Forza and have started uploading the tracks and liveries I've made for other people to use. Since Thursday afternoon, I've had a couple hundred people download and like my liveries, which earns me in-game money, but it's just fun to see that people are using the stuff you made. I've also got one track that is doing well, and am working on a series of dirt tracks since I think the game sort of failed in that regard this time.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't tell you which of your tracks or liveries are doing well (I'm just making a guess on the track). It just gives you the number of downloads, likes and uses. Every time one of these things happens, you get paid. Likes give you the most money, but each person can only give you one like per design/track. Likes also give you Kudos, which gives you special stuff during online races, which is something I rarely do since I prefer not to be run into repeatedly by every car on the track.

As far as designs go, I've moved away from the abstract and am keeping it simple.

five.png

three.png

four.png

So I haven't bothered reading any of the patch notes for Total War Warhammer 3, so I was completely taken by surprise when another faction confederated with me without my initiating it. I guess they sort of said, "Okay, things are going south over here, so we're moving in with you." I didn't notice the message telling me they had confederated. You just get so many messages at the start of each turn, and sometimes I'm in a hurry, and I'll just close them all. But I did notice that my net income dropped by more than half and went looking for the problem. The problem was four new armies (small and crappy armies).

Another time one of the factions just gave my son a settlement. I can't remember what their reasoning was, but it's interesting to see factions doing more.

I haven't been playing a whole lot recently, just been jumping around to a few games I've already played. Played a bit of Civilization VI and Monster Hunter Rise recently. I've been meaning to start playing (the original) Final Fantasy VII, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

On a different note, I watched a hands-on preview of Warhammer 40k: Darktide this morning and it has definitely become one of my most anticipated titles. I've been a 40k fan for a solid 15 years now and Darktide is looking really great. Seems like it is much more of a cooperative game at heart, but luckily my buddies also like 40k so I'll have a squad looking to play when it comes out.

Zloth

Community Contributor
"Currently only available on prescription from doctors in the US ..."

A game that I'm NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY?? Sure, it's a kids game. There's no chance I would have fun for long in this game. But.... I can't play it!?!? I haven't had that before. I was well beyond the max age when the ESRB ratings first showed up.

However, I think it's stupid that you need a prescription and typical of American healthcare that the game costs a fortune.
I think it's more than just the game, it's a game that's doubling as a medical-grade measurement tool. Verifying that is going to cost. Also, the game designers all have doctorates.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Yep. And you wouldn't buy it, because getting a doctorate in spudatoloty has no discernable effect on potato chip quality. With a program like this, though, doctorates help - and that help ain't cheap.
Well, that's a bunch of nonsense. It's hardly the first game with people with doctorate degrees who assisted making the game. Every game at Riot is made with the assistance of cognitive neurologists, for instance. And, of course, better educated people could make better potato chips. Thanks for trying, though.

I've got one more post to make, then I'm taking a break from this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr
I was in the mood for an RPG, so I decided to start playing Knights of the Old Republic on Switch. I've actually never played KOTOR before. I gave it a shot on PC a ways back but I stopped about 1-2 hours in (I don't recall why exactly). I've played for about an hour it and it seems quite good. It looks surprisingly good for a 2003 game (though I don't know if the visual were cleaned up at all in the Switch release) and the production values all around are impressive. The voice acting in particular has been really strong so far. It also translates extremely well to the Switch and I find it a bit easier to play in small chunks vs on PC since I can just pick up and play.

"Currently only available on prescription from doctors in the US ..."

A game that I'm NOT ALLOWED TO PLAY?? Sure, it's a kids game. There's no chance I would have fun for long in this game. But.... I can't play it!?!? I haven't had that before. I was well beyond the max age when the ESRB ratings first showed up.
From what I gathered looking at the website, I think "prescription" is pretty much their code word for "subscription." I kind of get the idea they'd be willing to "prescribe" the game to anyone willing to pay $90 for 3 months. I'm not putting down the possible usefulness of the game, but I have a feeling that's how it is. It's not like you have to get your doctor to prescribe it. They have their own "online" doctors that prescribe it for you when you sign up.

Amazon prime day has grabbed me. Bought PCG's recommendation for fastests gaming NVME the Western Digital SN850 2 TB on sale for 180 (down from 240). I opted for the heatsink since this is going to sit below my gpu in the mobo which brought the total up to 207 (down from 268).

Also, if you have amazon prime, theres a couple of games for free from them including Mass Effect Legendary Edition, NFS Heat and Grid Legends. Theres a bunch of random other games available too.

Well, that's a bunch of nonsense. It's hardly the first game with people with doctorate degrees who assisted making the game.
There were Ray Muzuka and Greg Zeschuk who both earned their medical degrees at the University of Alberta before forming Bioware. I don't know if that means they have "doctorates" or not, but they were doctors and highly educated.
Ray Muzyka - Wikipedia
Greg Zeschuk - Wikipedia

Zloth

Community Contributor
Pretty sure they do. But they weren't using their medical degrees for anything when developing a game.

@DXCHASE, a heat sink doesn't destroy heat, it makes it so the heat on the component can get out easier. If you put a component in a place that's already hot, though, isn't the heat sink going to work in reverse and make sure the component heats up faster when the temps around the component go up? At least initially?

I'm actually part of Amazon Prime for the first time. I guess I should check the sale out. None of the free games look interesting (I've already got ME:LE) but maybe there are some movies to snag.

Played a bit more of Hands of Fate 2's Endless mode. The last level got pretty difficult and I got down to 10 health at one point, but I recovered. It helps that I have armour that gives me one free food for every encounter where I gain something and a ring that allows me to turn any gain into 2 food, because you can use food to heal yourself with. Even with both of those I keep running pretty low on food though and my armour has lost all of its defensive value through wear. The only way to restore it is to get rid of it entirely and wait until I find a new one, but my food storage hasn't been big enough for me to dare get rid of it yet.

@DXCHASE, a heat sink doesn't destroy heat, it makes it so the heat on the component can get out easier. If you put a component in a place that's already hot, though, isn't the heat sink going to work in reverse and make sure the component heats up faster when the temps around the component go up? At least initially?

Ill have to monitor that,shoot, i thought maybe it would help, its the only nvme slot left i can use it just happens to sit below the PCIE slots

So im at work taking a stroll past our factorys e-waste area and i happen to see this little guy sitting perfectly in its original bag right on the top. Manager said any of the e-waste we can take (its full of old dell keyboards, monitors, speakers etc.) but i just opt for this old af "gpu" lol. Its a Visiontek 6570 1gb. Anyone have this back in the day? I didnt think the pc's at my work had gpus in them but.

b54X38i.jpg

caJH7IB.jpg

Ill have to monitor that,shoot, i thought maybe it would help, its the only nvme slot left i can use it just happens to sit below the PCIE slots

I'd think it would help the NVME, if anything with good case airflow it might more efficiently push a relatively small amount of heat towards your GPU. 10 Watts very occasionally is pretty negligible vs what a 3000 series GPU is pumping out. Worth watching initially though for sure.

I've still been creeping through Warhammer 40k Battlesector as its easy to pick up and play. Its a decent 6/10 for the campaign at least. Appreciate the effort of having a single player campaign at all in a game like this these days, but it doesn't seem that deep to me long term. Unit models all look pretty good I'd say though, and I'm sure 40K fans will appreciate the story stuff more than I can as a casual consumer of the lore.

Want to get back into Death Stranding but I havent had the energy lately due to life stuff, I've been strangely drawn in by all the story stuff despite/because of its madness, and the game had been quite relaxing to play so far.

Well, I did crappy today in Forza. Ran a championship against other players, and I got confused as to which cars were eligible, and I had to rent a car that hadn't been upgraded or tuned. I then proceeded to drive like I'd never played before. The first race I came in dead last. Second race, third, and third race, fifth. Overall I finished in the bottom half. One thing I need to learn to do is to drive a car with severe oversteer. I have to get way too conservative because I just don't know how to handle the vehicle. Forza is the worst among the racing games I've played for giving you a car that would be dangerous to drive to the corner market in the real world.

Defeated the final boss in V Rising. I don't know if the game scales the difficulty to the number of players, but I definitely wouldn't have gotten him in the first try by myself. Had a horrible stretch where I took a lot of damage, and after that I spent a lot of time dodging attacks instead of dealing damage.

Looking forward to their first content update.

OT: I usually just pass the bills to my wife, but I opened the utility bill today to discover that we owed them a little over $1400. It's never been anything like that unless we filled the pool, and they will give you a "no waste water" credit for that, so I called them up to see if they could provide an explanation, and they said that as a cost saving measure that they only actually send someone out to read your meters every few months, and the rest of the time they just estimate, and that they had been estimating low for us, and now we had to make up the difference. I feel genuinely sorry for all the people out there who got a bill like this today, and can't afford to pay it. What a crap system.

Edit: We do some sort of thing where we round our payments up, and the money goes to help needy families pay their utility bill, but there are going to be a lot of not normally needy families who struggle with this.

TRENDING THREADS