RX580 connections issue

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi, bit of a noob question, but we all have to start somewhere right..haha I have a 700w CIT psu with only 1, 8 pin PCIe connector, I purchased a RX580 (without checking the connections, i know bit of a noob moment haha) that needs 1- 8 pin and 1 - 6 pin, anyway I connected the only 1-8 pin and it booted up and installed all the drivers... my question is.. is it okay and safe just to use the 1 connector or is it a new Psu time? Thanks

If it's a CIT PSU that claims to be 700W but only gives a single PCIe connector, it's probably trash - potentially dangerous trash - and should be disposed of.

The best case scenario is that your GPU underperforms at least a bit due to not being fed enough power.

There's a lot of PSU snobbery on the internet - but that CIT PSU really does sound like it's over the line of what should be allowed near a PC, especially a PC with something like a dedicated GPU that will draw a certain amount of power. Even a Corsair VS/CV, or even an EVGA white-rated PSU is probably a huge step up over that thing.

What sort of budget do you have for a new PSU, and what country and currency are you shopping in?

And what's the spec of the rest of your system? (full spec including the case and everything else)

TRENDING THREADS