Question Just started building my pc and running into issues.

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
PCPartPicker Part List

EDIT: In addition there will be another storage device, at the current moment all that is installed is the cpu, the cooler, the mobo, the 2 sticks of ram, the graphics card, the power supply, and 1 case fan. I used an additional 3 pack to show that there is another fan because I can't add a single fan on PCPartPicker.

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($364.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE LINK H150i RGB 63.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($204.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($313.55 @ MemoryC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($184.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB Video Card ($769.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($207.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Asus ROG STRIX G 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB Starter Kit 63.1 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Corsair iCUE LINK QX120 RGB Starter Kit 63.1 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2820.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-29 13:43 EST-0500

This is the build that I have, apart from the CL40 RAM, I purchased the CL36 ram and that is currently what is in the computer but realizing now that it could be an issue.
The PC has the CPU light on, I tried reseating the CPU, checked the PCIE cables, and reset CMOS already. The pc also turns on for roughly 3 seconds and then shuts off and repeats that cycle until I unplug it. I am unsure if this is a cpu issue, ram issue, motherboard issue, or PSU issue and have no idea how to check that. All of the parts are brand new and I just got everything connected last night and when I attempted to turn it on, it was stuck in some sort of loop of turning on and off. If I let it sit off for a while, it will stay on longer, still with the cpu light on, but then eventually go back to the randomly turning off and on. Please help, I only have a month left to return parts if needed. I also do not have another intel chipset motherboard to check the CPU with, my previous PC I bought off a friend and it was AMD chipset.

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
So no storage installed currently?

Did you apply thermal paste when reseating?

Unmatched sets don't help. Remove one pair and test, then the other.

I'm not a hardware guy, someone more knowledgeable should be along soon.
So, no, I don’t currently have storage installed. I was attempting to just boot into BIOS and just make sure I plugged everything in right.

I did not reapply thermal paste, I had read somewhere that I didn’t really need to if I was just making sure everything was seated properly, the cooler came with thermal paste pre applied.

But in terms of ram, I only have the 2 CL36 ram sticks plugged in, but according to Gigabyte, that motherboard has only been tested and proven to work with 2 32GB sticks of CL40, so I figured just buy the new ones to be safe even if the ram light isn’t lighting up on the motherboard.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Could be a lemon CPU. Did you check for bent pins when you removed the thing? Is the hook on the CPU socket all the way down and seated all the way in that it doesn't move? It takes quite a bit of force to get it to the correct position, so is it possible you didn't get it all the way to the point that it's seated in its spot?

Otherwise, you may have a lemon CPU. See if you can get a replacement, since it should be under warranty.

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
Could be a lemon CPU. Did you check for bent pins when you removed the thing? Is the hook on the CPU socket all the way down and seated all the way in that it doesn't move? It takes quite a bit of force to get it to the correct position, so is it possible you didn't get it all the way to the point that it's seated in its spot?

Otherwise, you may have a lemon CPU. See if you can get a replacement, since it should be under warranty.
I’m thinking that may be the case, it’s the Intel pinless so it’s just completely flat and it’s got pins on the mobo so I can’t have bent pins unless I mess up really bad somehow. But it’s definitely seated all the way, I matched the triangles up at the one respective corner, then there’s these little notches on the sides of the cpu I have to match up, and then I can clamp it all down onto the mobo. But it’s definitely seated, would you just say get a replacement since it is on warranty?

I’m thinking that may be the case, it’s the Intel pinless so it’s just completely flat and it’s got pins on the mobo so I can’t have bent pins unless I mess up really bad somehow. But it’s definitely seated all the way, I matched the triangles up at the one respective corner, then there’s these little notches on the sides of the cpu I have to match up, and then I can clamp it all down onto the mobo. But it’s definitely seated, would you just say get a replacement since it is on warranty?
It seems as though you've done all the necessary testing, so at this point we can probably guess it's a hardware failure.

The only other thing I might recommend would be to take everything out of the case and reassemble it on a desk, then test and see if it powers on. This will rule out any shorts in the case.

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
It seems as though you've done all the necessary testing, so at this point we can probably guess it's a hardware failure.

The only other thing I might recommend would be to take everything out of the case and reassemble it on a desk, then test and see if it powers on. This will rule out any shorts in the case.
Alright, so take everything out including the mobo and put it back together to rule out that possibility? And otherwise, likely a bad CPU?

Alright, so take everything out including the mobo and put it back together to rule out that possibility? And otherwise, likely a bad CPU?
Yeah, take it all out and reassemble it on a desk (something that won't build static) outside of the case. You can take a flathead screwdriver and jump the two power pins to see if it powers on.

I think it's a long shot, but it's worth it just to rule out something simple like a short, as all the parts are brand new.

Nov 25, 2023
Visit site
Yeah, take it all out and reassemble it on a desk (something that won't build static) outside of the case. You can take a flathead screwdriver and jump the two power pins to see if it powers on.

I think it's a long shot, but it's worth it just to rule out something simple like a short, as all the parts are brand new.
Alright, I can try that and then if not, I’ll just replace the cpu. I ordered it through Amazon so I can return all the way up until the end of this month so I’ll be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts