RX 7900 XTX/XT launch day thread

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
A non oc version appears
also specs of the vanilla 7900 is out too, 16gb of ram. not as good... what a surprise.

Asus has released a newly-updated power supply wattage recommendation spreadsheet for the RX7900 and the RX 7900 XTX
They still haven't updated the link on the 7900 xt page - https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html
tops out at 6950xt

good thing i don't have an I7 then. would need a new psu... and then i might as well get a xtx.

I expect the Sapphire models will be silly. i started spreadsheet to track 7900xt models but so far only 2 makers announced any

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
no, I am going to get an Asus one... since their chart shows my CPU and a 7900xt only needs 750.

although rumour is now the 13th December is release date of reference cards and others coming 2 weeks later... i expect before Christmas.

I wasn't planning on buying one until January at earliest. I am just tired of reading the same news :)
also decides that I won't upgrade to a 5800x3d anytime soon as I would need a new PSU as well.
Just get 3 noctua fans at same time.

Last edited:
Works out he needs a new PSU due to spikiness of high end GPU.

Adds a 1kw PSU to list. I didn't really want to replace current PSU but it would have had issues with even a current gen card. I only found out tonight. At least the price of them isn't that much. Still more money to spend. Shame I realised 1 day after Black Friday lol (I am in the future)

I don't really need a 7900xt for 1440p but since 6800xt getting impossible to find, I might as well just wait now. 7800xt might be enough, it needs about same PSU power anyway.

turns out BF runs for 3 days here...

i feel its better to wait till I have some idea what power GPU needs before I buy a PSU. Would be rather dumb buying one that isn't good enough. The discounts on the PSU I am looking at aren't that big anyway, they try to sell things people don't want. So I assume 4080's got a discount lol

Thanks.

Sources from the video in case anyone prefers articles like me :)

Re, clocks. so if the Asus TUF 6900XT cards are clocked similarly to these 7900XTs and the performance difference is obvs pretty linear with that at 5%, Not worth it for the extra heat IMO, could be around an extra 100Watts dumped into your room for that 5%, eww.

Last edited:
its not just about speed, RT has improved as well. That might be enough of a reason to look. I would expect there to be more of a difference. If a 7900xtx is 50% better than a 6950, the difference between a 7900xt & a 6900xt should be larger as well.

If you can't find a 6900xt, you might as well buy the new one. they not cheap around me, Xmas profiteers are around. 4080 doesn't make them any money.

I mean that if the clockspeeds are roughly the same difference then we can probably expect a similar difference between custom/ref 7900 cards as there was between 6900 ref/custom, as clock speed differences on third party OC cards are pretty much the same. The guy went through it in the video I think as well.

So 3x8 pin a bit of a waste as you said, ref cards probably better option for comforts sake (heat), as 5% not really a noticeable difference in frames.

RT scaling is same as raster if you extrapolate the slides, as I understand 7900's will still be behind Nvidia by quite a way. Fine by me, I'll be getting a 7800 or 7700 anyway most likely and may be enough for what I want right now.

Wait and see, we only have 1 AIB's cards to look at, 2 Asus cards. Its unclear if anyone else can get better out of them. And Asus have other models, they have at least 8 cards in XT or XTX so they might not be their best - I realise it said OC models.

I don't actually care about its performance, it is better than what I have now so where it stacks up against other previous gen AMD or Nvidia really doesn't bother me. I was buying it for other reasons.

If I can get a reference card I might pick it up. Depends on demand... not sure which card... will need a new PSU anyway so I could aim high.

if performance is true, wonder when 4080 TI will be released. The 4080 is a dead duck right now, priced too high and about to be beaten by possibly 2 AMD cards at once. I Expect either a price drop or a new card... meaning 4080 is a dodo and almost DOA.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts