Why does my PC have two GPUs??

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Hello

I just had a PC built for me, and I am currently learning how to adjust settings for the best gaming performance. Part of the adjustments involves the GPU'S settings. I have noticed that I have two GPUs. In AMD Software: Adrenaline Edition, GPU 1 is called AMD Radeon(TM) Graphics (Primary/Integrated). GPU 2 is called AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (Discrete). Additionally, while changing graphics settings throughout Windows 11, I noticed that GPU 1 was always selected. Would you happen to know why I have GPU 1 and GPU 2? Shouldn't the 7900 XTX be the only GPU? Please note that a few days after the PC was built the GPU was replaced. Originally, the GPU was a 7900 XT and now the GPU is the 7900 XTX. Thanks!

Reactions: Alm
Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
PCs these days have GPUs built into the CPU. That would be the integrated GPU.

Your RX 7900 XTX will be much much more powerful.

It might be worth checking that you have your monitor(s) plugged into the XTX and not the motherboard.
My naivety is abundantly clear. I did not know that I could plug the monitor into more than one place. I saw an HDMI port and just plugged the monitor in. I will have to look at the back of the case and see if I find another place to plug in the monitor.

Reactions: Alm
I will have to look at the back of the case and see if I find another place to plug in the monitor
You will find another place, but beware that you may already be using the correct one.

rDjLD93.png

You want to be using the lower place in the pic above, that's where the graphics card is installed.

Sure enough, I had plugged the monitor into the wrong place. After I plugged into the GPU, I went into the GPU control panel. The 7900 XTX now reads as primary. Obviously, I have a lot to learn about PCs. This is my first one. Before this PC, I played exclusively on console since 1983!

You are not the first to do this, and you won't be the last.
You should enjoy a lot better performance now :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts