Random Hardware topics

Page 5 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
7900gre loses to 6950xt

what is going on with rdna3 ?
rdna2 23 tflops wins with rdna3 46 tflops.
don't even wanna see 7800xt vs 6800xt if 7800xt is just 60CUs vs 72CUs on 6800xt. 7800xt will get a proper beating from 6800xt.
what a waste this generation is. zero cards that would interest me, from either maker.

Reactions: Brian Boru
AMD & Nvidia making a killing on AI right now so other markets suffer. Nvidia's GPU section actually losing money for them but they don't care.

AMD may have time on their side. There aren't any new 6800xt being made so while now there is competition, it won't be there for long.

I have a 7900 XT, it beats the 6950xt and uses less power - https://www.techspot.com/review/2651-amd-radeon-7900-vs-radeon-6800/
The GRE is only mainly sold in prebuilt systems. Hard to go buy one in a shop.

If you have a 30 series card now, its too soon to upgrade anyway. Why buy a new card every generation, you never see enough change. Buy one every other generation and suddenly notice the difference. Same with review I showed, compare it to top line 5000 series cards and it does win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru and D10S
AMD & Nvidia making a killing on AI right now so other markets suffer. Nvidia's GPU section actually losing money for them but they don't care.

AMD may have time on their side. There aren't any new 6800xt being made so while now there is competition, it won't be there for long.

I have a 7900 XT, it beats the 6950xt and uses less power - https://www.techspot.com/review/2651-amd-radeon-7900-vs-radeon-6800/
The GRE is only mainly sold in prebuilt systems. Hard to go buy one in a shop.

If you have a 30 series card now, its too soon to upgrade anyway. Why buy a new card every generation, you never see enough change. Buy one every other generation and suddenly notice the difference. Same with review I showed, compare it to top line 50 series cards and it does win.
yeah, ampere beating the hell out of turing must have made us think it'll happen every gen.
It might as well have happened for ada too, but nvidia decided to put premiums over progress.
rdna3 just doesn't have the architectural advantage to go past discounted rdna2 in mid range.
Well, I don't play anything new in general, prefer to buy 2+ yr old games when they're fixed and patched, so no worries really. Even the newest game I have (guardians of the galaxy) runs at 120fps with rt on on my hw.

i went from a 2070 Super to a 7900XT, 2 generations in theory although hard to compare as different makers. I saw a big jump. I don't have any games with RT in them so never tried to use it on any card.

I went from max of 100 fps in 1440p with low settings to being able to run my 144hz screen at full in most games now. Another advantage is its Freesync and actually works natively with GPU.

DIablo 4 shows 114fps average over 70 hours this week, but the game locks loading screens to 30 fps which would reduce average. I need a better CPU to go any faster really.

Up until this year, most of the games I play were over 5 years old, so any card would make them look good.

The whole - compare last gen to next thing is great for videos but really, you shouldn't buy a new card every time.. You shouldn't expect 50% increases every generation, there will come a time we get no improvements at all... things will not always get better. there are limits. The 40 series really only offers features, not performance. It only wins in some games if you use DLSS or RT. People expect too much. Have to be realistic.

i went from a 2070 Super to a 7900XT, 2 generations in theory although hard to compare as different makers. I saw a big jump. I don't have any games with RT in them so never tried to use it on any card.

I went from max of 100 fps in 1440p with low settings to being able to run my 144hz screen at full in most games now. Another advantage is its Freesync and actually works natively with GPU.

DIablo 4 shows 114fps average over 70 hours this week, but the game locks loading screens to 30 fps which would reduce average. I need a better CPU to go any faster really.

Up until this year, most of the games I play were over 5 years old, so any card would make them look good.

The whole - compare last gen to next thing is great for videos but really, you shouldn't buy a new card every time.. You shouldn't expect 50% increases every generation, there will come a time we get no improvements at all... things will not always get better. there are limits. The 40 series really only offers features, not performance. It only wins in some games if you use DLSS or RT. People expect too much. Have to be realistic.
that's 2x or more. I can't wait that long :p

its true that I paid more than I had before for the card, but so far i haven't been disappointed in it. it was 50% more expensive than my previous two cards, and pretty sure its most I ever paid. I didn't really think about it, I just wanted one and haven't really thought about it since. I was going to wait for 7800 xt and if I had, I would still be waiting... I think I would have just jumped by now.

I didn't want to deal with the new Power supply cable drama so I jumped to AMD.

I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. I should be able to skip a few generations.
I am not wowed by graphics but I will call out a bad looking game if I see one. I don't need RT. 99% of games out now don't have it.

If this is true, the gain is almost nothing over a 6800xt
its more a replacement, not an uptick. Has AV1 encoding if that helps

7900xt is about 33% faster than it. Can get 7900xt for about $USD720 now so its value is better. Beats a 4070ti when RT not involved, and in one or two cases where it is

I don't know what price it will have, its biggest competition is other AMD cards. In a vaccum, all it would need to do is make the 4060 TI look bad, and Nvidia already done that work for them. Just having 16gb of Vram should be enough to win that fight. The 4060 TI doesn't need that much and doesn't benefit from having it.

Wasnt meant to be any judgement on whatever you paid. Just stating my read of the while situation :)

7900 XT and XTXstill out of my range here. If it comes to it ill go 4070 or 7700, looking for best price performance within budget, 5700XT cant max AAA anymore and Id like to be able to sell it on while its still worth a bit.

Rdna2/Ampere used are still great choices. I think I'll just start buying used from now on.
Paid 789eur for 3080 and 6800, great condition, 1.5yr warranty left on both. will sell them both for a used 4090 when possible. AMD making 7700xt a worse choice than 6800 will only help me sell for a better price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
i don't sell my parts, nor do I buy used.

I still have my old card. Its my spare GPU just in case. Making it my spare was actually one of the reasons I got a new GPU in first place. I have a 2070 Super, they stopped being something you could buy new in 2020 and the fear of it dying was partially to blame for me wanting to replace it before it did. I had wanted to do that with my GTX 970 in previous PC but it literally started to die the week I got new PC. Up until that point, my spare (just in case) GPU was a GTX 960 which is just not good enough to run my display now.

I wouldn't buy used as you don't know what happened to card before you got it. This also applies to HDD but then I totally don't understand trusting any data to a 2nd hand drive.

7800xt based on a future where the 6800xt has stopped being so easy to buy. It does have features that older cards don't, slightly better ray tracing... AV1 encoding. Probably works better with FSR3 which is going to be released soon.

Last edited:
GN vs LTT ... anyone following this

Yeah, there's a thread about it:

More Intel DX11/9 driver improvements. Theres hope still theyll improve again next year with the new stuff.
All of these improvements on this card are sure to make their next one really great. If they can keep the prices similarly low and increase performance at the same time, Intel could be hailed the next king of budget GPUs.

All of these improvements on this card are sure to make their next one really great. If they can keep the prices similarly low and increase performance at the same time, Intel could be hailed the next king of budget GPUs.

Hope so. I've probably been worn down, but at this point I'd be OK with the halo products costing thousands as long as the (upper)mid range starting at say 70% of that was in a more reasonable place. Intel being viable might help bring that about.

25.8 for announcement of maybe 7800/7700. Not expecting the earth performance wise, but hoping to see better value at least.

Expecting Intel to save you is a trap. I mean, their CPU are more expensive that AMD, I expect if their GPU beat a 5090 It won't be cheap. They only cheap now as they just starting out. Given time they be just as bad as the other two.

Really, if you want competition, you need more than just the same 3 companies "fighting" for your attention. They don't fight, they let their stupid fan boys fight while they happily share the profits.

if you want competition, you need more than just the same 3 companies "fighting" for your attention. They don't fight, they let their stupid fan boys fight while they happily share the profits
Are you an economist IRL? :)

It's a long time since I looked into it, but if I recall correctly, a decently competitive market needed more than 10 suppliers, with none of them having more than maybe 15% market share.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
I'm probably clutching at straws :)

I dont think Intel is looking to compete at the high end. Hopefully theyll continue to offer competitive price/performance in the middle range to get a foothold and the others will have to respond at least a little.

There were only two companies in the market when the GTX 970 was released at $329($410) 10 years ago. That was the fourth tier card of that generation. The current gen fourth tier 4070Ti from Nvidia is $800 msrp.

Hey, one more company in the market means there is 50% more competition than before. Just look at the numbers, its clear.

Last edited:

NO actual reviews yet, they were only announced today

$499 for 7800 XT
$449 for 7700 XT

Though prices of Custom cards likely slightly higher

I tire of comparisons to previous gen when anyone with a 6700xt or above really doesn't need a new card yet. There are only a few features of FSR 3 that require a 7000 series card.

If fsr3 runs on async compute, and amd know games that already use it will take some of that processing power for something else, what happens to motion fluidity/frametimes and image quality when a frame has to be skipped or has to displayed when it's not 100% ready ?
Again, this fsr3 thing took a long time, but there are still more question than answers.

Expecting Intel to save you is a trap. I mean, their CPU are more expensive that AMD
13700k beats 7900x for less money. so does 13600k to 7700x
AMD-Ryzen-9-7950X3D-Performance-Zusammenfassung.png

relative-performance-cpu.png

Last edited:
We won't know answers to that question until next year as Fluid motion not being released right away, expect the drivers to be updated with some of FSR3 features next month but fluid motion is coming next year.

this guy hints that they are in the drivers he is using but not included in the live versions yet, expect they release it same time as 2 new cards

Honestly, I doubt I use any of it as until my 7900 xt struggles to play games in 1440p I won't really need any upscaling features. Its more useful for the 2 cards coming out next month.

TRENDING THREADS