Random Hardware topics

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
PC ram slots look better now
wsvIGGm.jpg

took 3 years to get colours I like on 2 sticks, now I might need to change them since I have a bigger canvas

just ignore fact the cable running from AIO pump to radiator is stopping the top fan from spinning... it looks good, right? Yeah, I fixed that once I noticed.

seems adding 2 more ram sticks randomly turned the RGB off on my motherboard. I don't get that bit.

Last edited:
:p

I fixed it by installing the rgb software for my motherboard - it takes control of ram so it can't stay on PC without overriding Icue - but it turned the two strips back on. I have removed it again now, and restarted PC and Icue now runs ram rgb again.

Me being backwards... watch videos comparing new CPU to old... after I bought it.

first one I watch says its not worth it

second a bit more indepth and perhaps shows why 1st had its result.

It seems the CPU really only makes a dramatic difference if you have a good GPU. If you pair it with a lower power GPU it won't help as much, and make them look more even. Given my GPU is better than the best they tested it with, I am not concerned

I won't find any videos of people with my CPU & my GPU but this is as close as I can get and he gained 40 frames in most games. I am likely to get more, as he went from a 5600 to 5800x3d, I am one family behind that.

think performance difference between 3600 and 5600 is about 17%, the difference between 3600 and 5800x3 is 45%

that is at 1080p though... why use that combo at 1080p? gamers need to move on... I was using 1080p 15 years ago. 1440p the new CPU is still better. The two CPU are really close at 4k but then I don't plan on using 4k

soon - https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/XvH4dH
my current CPU on sale on Amazon - 1106
new one only worth 456... is this an upgrade?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apple forced to use USB C on phones... how do we force people to buy cables now?

The usb cable that comes with the phone is only USB 2. The only attachment they sell that has USB 3 is thunderbolt cable for $40... profit.

Shame right now any USB cable works with their phones but I know they will be trying to break that.

When people can now repair their own phones - to a point
And use their own cables...

How is Apple going to make money now?

Innovate? They forgotten how... Steve died, they just make money now, not new things.

they could buy Disney, I am sure that would work well for them... buy a sinking ship.

in todays... lets review something that doesn't exist: The Powercolor Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XT

Lets review a Hellhound Spectral White 7900XT and fill half the video up with video of the stock AMD Reference card, and the rest is a Hellhound 7900 XT but not a white one...

And its not new, its been out 9 months now.

I don't think they have the card, I think they just stole video from other places for clicks

They didn't have the card because they mixed up more than I thought... the Spectral White Hellhound is an XTX. They mixed up 2 different cards completely.

There is no Hellhound Spectral White 7900XT... hence they couldn't have video or even pictures of it. And why their review kept calling it an XTX

Only white 7900 is the XTX (I might have looked at it otherwise)

Last edited:
TtOKjUR.jpg

its funny when a Good score is higher than a Legendary one

zUDLSlT.jpg

Only difference is 9 months and the CPU.

I wonder if I had radeon chill on for 2nd score, as would explain why FPS is only 140. I turned off today, after I remembered it was on and I had already run the test once. Above is results of with it off.

rJesZ3Q.jpg

GPU 1st on chart (but charts are limited it seems)
multi was 4th on chart (Avg speed 4.33ghz)
single was 5th on chart

Last edited:
I was led to believe the 5800x3d was a warm CPU to run... well, mine is sitting on 29c which is 10c lower than my 3600xt was running on before I swapped them. Now its possible that is related to fact we cleaned all the dust out of the radiator last night as well. Or could be the die of the 5800x3d is bigger and allows more contact with the cooler... 3600xt was a little smaller.

I am using a different plan on my AIO but mainly as I am taking into account this cards max temp I see at start up which is 76c. It lets CPU get to 50c all it likes but the curve goes vertical after that. AIO fans seem too loud if I let it ramp up to 50.

Still not ideal at startup. But thats only once a day.,.. I guess.

I guess its a side effect of swapping CPU. I need to adjust.

Sep 16, 2023
Visit site
I was led to believe the 5800x3d was a warm CPU to run... well, mine is sitting on 29c which is 10c lower than my 3600xt was running on before I swapped them. Now its possible that is related to fact we cleaned all the dust out of the radiator last night as well. Or could be the die of the 5800x3d is bigger and allows more contact with the cooler... 3600xt was a little smaller.

I am using a different plan on my AIO but mainly as I am taking into account this cards max temp I see at start up which is 76c. It lets CPU get to 50c all it likes but the curve goes vertical after that. AIO fans seem too loud if I let it ramp up to 50.

Still not ideal at startup. But thats only once a day.,.. I guess.

I guess its a side effect of swapping CPU. I need to adjust.
Changing the processor is always a tricky event for MS, but I think a couple tweaks and you'll be fine.
By the way, how do you clean dust and with what, so as not to damage anything?

fyi

sEhMFgs.png

Oops no, that's not it :oops:

Special K

Yeah, that's it! Jacob Roach goes nuts about this tool in this article.

"transformed how I play PC games"

"an app that could help your performance and add missing features to all of your PC games"

"It can do everything"

Beyond my pay grade, but sounds of interest to you experts :)

Seems like its great for people who graphically mod their games, injecting higher textures or whatever.

It sounds like a good piece of software if you like to play with all that, for the things it does that I would use I already have solutions that work perfectly well for me.

Sep 16, 2023
Visit site
Seems like its great for people who graphically mod their games, injecting higher textures or whatever.

It sounds like a good piece of software if you like to play with all that, for the things it does that I would use I already have solutions that work perfectly well for me.
Could you share your solution? I'm looking for the right one for me too.

You could always ask ChatGPT ;)

I monitor temperatures and clockspeeds of my hardware. HWinfo, GPUz, CPUz.

Framerates I just use the Steam FPS counter these days.

Framerate limit I set one in game if available and needed or just use Vsync globally using AMD Adrenaline or in game options.

Started to use Radeon Chill as @Colif reminded me of it, in Baldurs Gate 3. Not just to limit frame rate but because I'm quite often idle in the game. You can set the minimum frame target low (30) so that if I'm not actively moving the mouse it lowers the frame rate and saves power and my GPU from working unneccessarily hard.

You can set the minimum frame target low (30) so that if I'm not actively moving the mouse it lowers the frame rate and saves power and my GPU from working unneccessarily hard.
i forgot about that and had to look it up to confirm you were right. I set my minimum 4 below my max. It doesn't always work as some games don't run at 144 anyway. But for those that do, its a nice bracket to work in. Setting max is already saving enough power as far as I am concerned... or GPU will run faster than screen. Possibly cause excess heat and Coil whine.

I wonder if the AMD overlay shows frame rate... looks... yep
7iAeXtL.jpg

Its part of the drivers.

I think Special K adds effects FSR2 can't.

you can pick and choose what it shows, so its possible it could just show 1 value. I don't remember its shortcut key either... its Alt Z.
Alt R opens main menu, I remember it.
I have been known to use the MSI Afterburner overlay as well but not recently.

I don't normally look at frame rate... I am used to bad behaving PC so if it works, I am happy. My standards are below what PC is capable of now.

Sep 16, 2023
Visit site
you can pick and choose what it shows, so its possible it could just show 1 value. I don't remember its shortcut key either... its Alt Z.
Alt R opens main menu, I remember it.
I have been known to use the MSI Afterburner overlay as well but not recently.

I don't normally look at frame rate... I am used to bad behaving PC so if it works, I am happy. My standards are below what PC is capable of now.
Man, I had a bad laptop too and was glad when it worked at all. But I finally got a new one, and oh boy, it works so fast I can't keep up with it

"Every year consumers throw away 9 billion kg of cables, toys, vapes, novelty clothes and similar devices which they often don't recognise as e-waste"

"The average home also has 30 unused electrical items gathering dust, the research shows"
Yeah, I could go with that—and we're not big gadgeteers.

TRENDING THREADS