Random Game Thoughts Thread - January 29 - February 4

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
I see there's some Dead Space talk here so I'll jump in:

I remember watching the gameplay trailers and the devs talking about having to reroute power from lights or life support in order to access whatever you need to get to. I thought, "psh why would you go through the annoyance of having to find oxygen stations, just go lights off and get on with it!"

Well I guess I'm not as fear-proof as I expected cause in the refueling bay I had that option, waffled a bit, then said forget it I'm turning off the O2 cause there's no way in hell I'm doing this with the lights off.

Its really creepy with headphones on, the sound design is amazing, and they've moved some of the jump scares as well.

I only got as far as Medical and its pretty similar still with some small differences, gated off loot boxes and a couple of kinesis parts I didnt remember. Are any of the levels totally changed?

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Its really creepy with headphones on, the sound design is amazing, and they've moved some of the jump scares as well.

I only got as far as Medical and its pretty similar still with some small differences, gated off loot boxes and a couple of kinesis parts I didnt remember. Are any of the levels totally changed?

Hard to say cause I haven’t played the original for well over 10 years (funny cause steam says my last play time in it was Jan 1, 1970 lmao). I know that they reworked the astroid defense sequence and the zero G travel is way more fluid. The scene with the captain is completely redone and way better. I’m sure there’s more but I’m just loving the product as a whole. Well done EA / Motive.

So in Astroneer we're doing a mission to get a pet off of our home planet's moon. Guido builds the habitat and finds the bait. We go to the moon and Guido calls the adorable little guy. Instead of feeding him, you need to dance for him, so Guido runs up and does a dance and hearts fly out of the little fellow, but he's still scared and he takes off running. Guido repeats this two more times, stopping in front of the little guy and dancing. After the last one, tons of hearts come flying out of him. He's not afraid anymore. He's tame. That's when Guido accidentally sucks him into his terrain gun and kills him.

Good times.

Hard to say cause I haven’t played the original for well over 10 years (funny cause steam says my last play time in it was Jan 1, 1970 lmao). I know that they reworked the astroid defense sequence and the zero G travel is way more fluid. The scene with the captain is completely redone and way better. I’m sure there’s more but I’m just loving the product as a whole. Well done EA / Motive.
I played through half of the OG a couple of years ago, still thought it was a really good game.

Gonna play a bit more later today, but I'm loving it too. I've done one Zero G section and its much better. Performs pretty well too, so agreed. Nice work Motive! You didnt ruin the thing :p

I have done this for a lot of EA games (BF4, BF5, Anthem in recent memory) and was going to for this, but the remake looked really good that im going to buy it soon, but man ive came close to that button once or twice for it lol.
I almost bought it as well. Its pretty likely I'll play it more than once over time as its one of my all time favourites refurbished, but figured I'd save a little and pick it up on sale later on for replays. Seems its worth the full price tbf.

Well, I hope you all are happy. You talked me into it. Downloading Dead Space now.
Don't forget to cut off their limbs!

I did another hour or so, finished off medical and got the Captains rig. Did a bit of backtracking after to pick up some ammo from previously locked safes and rooms. Good to see they spawn some necromorphs in areas you've already been to, not sure if its random or not, but keeps you on your toes.

The Pulse Rifle secondary is now a proximity mine which is pretty powerful, you get 2 of them for a full clip of ammo. It seems more powerful than in the original for taking off limbs with the primary too. Still not as good as the Plasma Cutter though.

Last edited:

Made a dedicated thread in shooters if anyone is interested as a few of us are playing it.

Line gun and Plasma Cutter is always my go to as well. Might branch out, but then again I always say that.

I played a bit more of my Warhammer 3 Skarbrand campaign. Only two turns I think, in which I just sacked and razed a bit more of Ku'Gath's settlements and I retried the quest battle, which went a lot better this time. It was technically a pyrrhic victory, but I didn't lose any units and didn't get too damaged either. Skarbrand has pretty amazing replenishment anyway, so I was back to plundering more the next turn.

You know what's strange, a pretty basic game like S of W is one of the few games where the NPC's seem to keep coming up with new comments. I mean in GTAV it's mostly pedestrians shouting abuse as I slide past them in my car. Often strangely in a Brit accent which I imagine the makers enjoyed including, but also in what you'd expect, Spanish, in Los Santos.

So I had a bit of combat with another captain, and my bodyguard said afterwards, 'nice kill boss'.(first I'd heard that).
Also they've thrown in a bit of Monty Python style humour. An Orc will say something like, the other day I took on thirty graugs with my bare hands and half a sandwich'(paraphrased, but it will be great when all NPC's react in real time and even add humour).

Just a complaint about this forum. How can I concentrate when there's a party going on down there. Sexy Sci Fi women, and wild musicians, keep it down:)(I plead the 5th)

Today, for the first time, I played a bit with Cortana, and I turned on the feature where she listens for me to say her name. So then I'm playing Forza, and I'm in the last lap, almost to the finish line in first place. Meanwhile, my wife and daughter are talking about bank robberies. Suddenly Cortana pops up and says, "Sorry, I can't help you find cash." That would have been funnier except that my controller stopped working and I coasted the last 500 feet and ended up in second place. So now I'm on an FBI watch list, probably. Needless to say, Cortana is now turned off again.

I just had no luck with The Trial this week. As usual, I started each race in last place behind all the AI and the rest of the humans. In the first race, I had the Cortana incident. That irritated me, so in the second race I was way too aggressive. I was passing two cars when I suddenly realized there wasn't enough space for all three of us to get through the checkpoint. I don't slam into people so I just took the hit and went to the back of the field. Still managed to come in third, though.

My vision problems are retinopathy, macular edema, and eye strain. The eye strain is ever-present these days, but to varying degrees. I even wake up with eye strain and seeing double. The other day, Guido was getting frustrated because I kept getting lost in a game, so one day when my vision was relatively okay, I took a screen shot in Forza and adjusted it to what I see when my vision is bad. I wanted him to understand I'm not just an idiot. I'm also frequently pretty blind,

2020.jpg

What the picture doesn't show is the bright blue driving line, which I can usually follow, but I usually quit at this point.

Also, this is why I didn't play Dead Space today.

Edit: Just to make sure I was clear, that's not how I see all the time. My vision ranges from just fine to the picture above,

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Nasty! Does the bright blue line fix the image doubling or does it just make it possible to steer both cars along a doubled line?

I'm still on break from Wrath of the Righteous, and shooting up more mechs. I took a Battlemaster and two Highlanders on a mission. I got through the mission, but one of the Highlanders got both arms shot off while the other two were just scratched up a little. I tried again. This time, the other Highlander got an arm shot off as well as a side torso. The Highlanders have Gauss guns in one arm. Great guns, but if the gun gets hit, it tends to explode - causing damage to the ammo, which also explodes.

Zloth

Community Contributor
An observatory up on Mt. Washington in northern New Hampshire hit -47F last night with wind gusts up to 127mph (204kph). That works out to a wind chill of -108F (-78C), which is roughly the temperature of dry ice! @mainer? Do we need to send over some nice, warm coco... oh! Wait! That would probably shatter your face! Do we need to send some nice, warm iced tea??

An observatory up on Mt. Washington in northern New Hampshire hit -47F last night with wind gusts up to 127mph (204kph). That works out to a wind chill of -108F (-78C), which is roughly the temperature of dry ice! @mainer? Do we need to send over some nice, warm coco... oh! Wait! That would probably shatter your face! Do we need to send some nice, warm iced tea??

It makes sense. Wind chills reached -17 to -25 here in Buffalo NY, so for it to double going northeastward, makes sense.

So i need to recant early statements. I thought i was going to have the funds for a full purchase of deadspace atm, but have had some plans come up last minute, i do however have 20 bucks for a month to beat the game and wait for it to hit a sale and add it to my (steam) library in the future.

Historic Wind Chill Temperatures Last Night | WGME

Thanks, but I think I'll take a shot of whisky in my mid-morning tea with a slice of lemon, hot toddy I think that's called. No way am I going outside today, -45 degrees in Portland with the wind chill, that will freeze your nose hairs and the saliva in your mouth. Woke up this morning and looked out my front window and there was sea smoke drifting & shifting over Casco Bay. Sea smoke always reminds me of the mists from Sanderson's Mist Born books, as it's both beautiful and eerie, with rises, falls, and shifts that feel a bit supernatural.
Sea Smoke: Maine's Most Photogenic Winter Phenomenon | Down East Magazine

Coming to the end of Astroneer. To be honest, I don't really feel like doing what it wants me to do to beat the game, but I suppose I'm going to do it anyway. You have to dig to the core of each planet/moon and then activate it (there's advanced alien tech there). Of course, unless you want to leave your expensive digging equipment down there, you have to dig your way back to the surface, which is a huge pain in the arse, I think from now on I'm just going to try to walk and use my deformation tool, that way I can teleport back up at the end and not leave anything behind. Will take a lot longer to get to the core, and there will be a much higher chance of death, but not having to dig back to the surface will be worth it. Just have to make sure I'm carrying enough fuel for my jetpack so I don't fall to my death while digging down.

TRENDING THREADS