Playing how the game was intended to be played

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

How should games be played?

• As designed by devs

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • As preferred by player

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Options to allow both approaches

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just feel everyone should give games ago as vanilla as they are on release then go crazy with it afterwards. Play them as YOU intend but at least try it as designed.
Exactly how I approach any game I haven't played before, I always play the "vanilla" version first just to get that experience and a feel for the game. If I like it as released, then I'll go see what mods are available and mod it. How would I know what mods to add if I didn't experience the game "vanilla"?

Another reason I don't mod a game right away, is that usually a game will have a few patches in the first 6-12 months (sometimes longer), and any patch update will usually break any installed mods.

My opinion is that the game was meant to be played in first person mode. They offer a 3rd person mode, but I believe it was intended to be played in first person. What do you guys think about that?
I mod Skyrim fairly heavily, but one mod I'll never use is the 3rd person mod. Skyrim is definitely a first person perspective game.

Out of curiosity, was Oblivion only first person? (I've never played it).
If you love Skyrim, you should really try Oblivion, it's also a great open world RPG, and it still plays well on todays hardware. You can usually find it pretty cheap on some of the Steam sales.

There is also a 3rd person camera mod for Oblivion if you really prefer it over the 1st person view:
Ultimate 3rd Person Camera v151 OMOD at Oblivion Nexus - mods and community (nexusmods.com)

That's a great game though!

Out of curiosity, was Oblivion only first person? (I've never played it). I prefer third person for Skyrim, but that's because I actually want to see my character and it's armour otherwise you just see a weapon or a hand. Seems like a stupid reason now though
You played Skyrim in 3rd person? You heretic! Lol

Skyrim was actually the first TES game I've played. I tried Oblivion briefly, but didn't play for very long. So I don't even know if you can play it in 3rd person or not.

Rest of you, continue enjoying the discovery of relics and artifacts from the once-flourishing PCGamer civilisation.
The pre cursor civilisation could return, they have been on a hiatus for a while.

Their land was invaded and they went into bunkers, and told to stay there until its safe to come outside. Only seemingly let out to enter competitions. Most are still in the Discord bunker and many of those don't ever come here apart from competitions. They lived in that bunker all their lives and don't know the real world is safe now.

How would I know what mods to add if I didn't experience the game "vanilla"?
1. Type into a search engine:
"best mods for Skyrim"
Scan results.

2. Visit preferred mod repository and sort by popularity or rating.
Scan results.

QED :p

To add to this, at this point I know I'm going to get the unofficial patch of any Bethesda game I play and I would recommend anyone playing for the first time to get that mod before starting the game. And if you read some reviews before buying a game, they might mention some specific part of the game that just doesn't work well that is fixed by a mod.

Exactly how I approach any game I haven't played before, I always play the "vanilla" version first just to get that experience and a feel for the game. If I like it as released, then I'll go see what mods are available and mod it. How would I know what mods to add if I didn't experience the game "vanilla"?

Another reason I don't mod a game right away, is that usually a game will have a few patches in the first 6-12 months (sometimes longer), and any patch update will usually break any installed mods.

I mod Skyrim fairly heavily, but one mod I'll never use is the 3rd person mod. Skyrim is definitely a first person perspective game.

If you love Skyrim, you should really try Oblivion, it's also a great open world RPG, and it still plays well on todays hardware. You can usually find it pretty cheap on some of the Steam sales.

There is also a 3rd person camera mod for Oblivion if you really prefer it over the 1st person view:
Ultimate 3rd Person Camera v151 OMOD at Oblivion Nexus - mods and community (nexusmods.com)

I see you are also a man of class. 😎

You played Skyrim in 3rd person? You heretic! Lol

Skyrim was actually the first TES game I've played. I tried Oblivion briefly, but didn't play for very long. So I don't even know if you can play it in 3rd person or not.

Yes I do be the heretic! Though I'm usually abused for not playing Oblivion lol. I've never bothered with any but Skyrim and ESO.. though the new one sounds intriguing.

The pre cursor civilisation could return, they have been on a hiatus for a while.

Their land was invaded and they went into bunkers, and told to stay there until its safe to come outside. Only seemingly let out to enter competitions. Most are still in the Discord bunker and many of those don't ever come here apart from competitions. They lived in that bunker all their lives and don't know the real world is safe now.

There's a Discord bunker? Where the signs leading to such a treasure trove?

Yes I do be the heretic! Though I'm usually abused for not playing Oblivion lol. I've never bothered with any but Skyrim and ESO.. though the new one sounds intriguing.
I tried out Oblivion once, and couldn't get into it. I think my main problem was that I was used to playing with a controller in Skyrim, and it really sucks trying to set up Oblivion for a controller. It just doesn't work well on the PC. I might try it out on my Xbox, which it's made for controller on there. Maybe I'll think differently of it if I play it that way. But the other thing is that I was spoiled by Skyrim being much more modern, and Oblivion just seemed old after playing Skyrim first.

I tried out Oblivion once, and couldn't get into it. I think my main problem was that I was used to playing with a controller in Skyrim, and it really sucks trying to set up Oblivion for a controller. It just doesn't work well on the PC. I might try it out on my Xbox, which it's made for controller on there. Maybe I'll think differently of it if I play it that way. But the other thing is that I was spoiled by Skyrim being much more modern, and Oblivion just seemed old after playing Skyrim first.

I had that same problem, Skyrim was such a good game that when I tried Oblivion..I just felt a bit.. meh!

Reactions: WoodenSaucer
1. Type into a search engine:
"best mods for Skyrim"
Scan results.

2. Visit preferred mod repository and sort by popularity or rating.
Scan results.
Not the same thing, at least for me. I want to experience the game "vanilla" first, and as I play I keep track of the things that I would like to make better (textures, water, weather, ect), or change completely (like companion & enemy AI). Many things, but they all add up. I'm not going to get that someone's "best of" mod list. Not that those lists aren't good, they just aren't tailored for my specific preferences

Zloth

Community Contributor
What game have you played that's required you to mod it to make sense? I just feel everyone should give games ago as vanilla as they are on release then go crazy with it afterwards. Play them as YOU intend but at least try it as designed.
Huh? Nononono... I was saying that I often do NOT mod because I'm worried it will make a mess of the game, like mangle the game balance or make a change to my character that a later patch to the game can't deal with.

TRENDING THREADS