Question Pcie cables

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
So I am building my first PC and they GPU is a Nvidia RTX 3070. The only thing holding me back is that I need a 6 pin conector m/m...

Can I take 2, 6 pin extension connectors and line them up with an 8 pin m/m pcie and have it work?

Side note, I did connect the cords and hovered it over the pcu and it made my coffee machine start grinding beans 😂. Needless to say I put the cords down and tuened it all off.

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
You might run into problems running a 3070 running off 1 cable that has 2 connectors on it.

I would ask on https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/systems.7/ as someone there will know for sure.

I think you need a different PSU.

Nope the psu is fine, just need the right cable for the job. Can an 8 pin that splits into 2, 6+2 pins be used to just be 8 pin from psu to 6 pin gpu? With an additional cord running 8 pin to 8 pin?

Just so we're all sure that the PSU is fine, you're advised to mention the make and model of the PSU. If the unit has been in use for a while, include it's age. Rule of thumb, if the PSU lacks the necessary connectors for your build, you either have the wrong PSU for the job or the rest of the parts were chosen inappropriately.

Are you looking to pair the PSU with sleeved extensions or cables from another unit/chosen off a site? If so, not all PSU's have the same pinout diagram.

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
Just so we're all sure that the PSU is fine, you're advised to mention the make and model of the PSU. If the unit has been in use for a while, include it's age. Rule of thumb, if the PSU lacks the necessary connectors for your build, you either have the wrong PSU for the job or the rest of the parts were chosen inappropriately.

Are you looking to pair the PSU with sleeved extensions or cables from another unit/chosen off a site? If so, not all PSU's have the same pinout diagram.
Gigabyte p850gm modular power supply for an rtx 3070, ryzen 7 5800X on a MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk motherboard

All brand new

Gigabyte are a horrible brand in terms of PSU quality. As for adapter's, you forgot to mention the model for your GPU. RTX 3070's are made by Nvidia but there are AIB partners as well as non reference design's. As for your PSU's connectors, if you are working with the stock cables, you shouldn't use the daisy chain method. Make sure to work with each connector individually after running it from the PSU.

Seasonic made the point about not daisy chaining connectors when using PCIe devices.

Further reading;

Also, sleeved aftermarket cables or stock cables? I'm asking since you mentioned male to male connectors in your initial post.

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
I would hate to think what you paid for a 3070 right now.

Thank you so much for the help! I am running two seperate cables now (8-8 and 8-6+2) as for the GPU... actually got it for below 1700 AUD. Not great but at least i have one.

Seasonic has the exact same layout as Gigabyte. Its an 80+ gold rating. So we shall see how it goes once I boot it up

Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
that is a good price, i see them about 2k in Australia. Not that i want one... i have a 2070 Super and you can't get them at all in Australia, my PC part picker parts list shows my pc is 800 less than I paid.

Good luck with PC :)

Thank you! I got it to start up but a few cpu pins got bent. Big sad, so tomorrow I am going to bend them back and see if that works. The debug light lit up for the cpu but everything else was fine

TRENDING THREADS