PC not booting, just a buzzing sound from the motherboard!

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
So I recently built a new gaming PC. A mITX. I am definitely not an expert when it comes to building PCs. Everything was working perfectly fine until I decided to disconnect and unplug everything, to do a few adjustments and cable management and try out the new 4080 card.

I have now tried everything I can think of. Disconnect and reconnect cables (The front panel connectors always makes me doubt my abilities lol). Go back to the original GPU. Changing some of the cables from the PSU (I don’t have many extra). But the PC won’t boot or start up.
- No fans spinning
- No lights nothing
- Just a buzzing sound (barely audible) from the motherboard when I turn on the PSU

I do have a multimeter on hand, lack of PC(building) experience.
If anyone has any ideas as to what else I can try to help narrow down the problem, or any hunches as to what could be the cause, then it would be great to hear from you. Thanks!

Specs:
NR200p case
RTX 3070 aorus master
Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold PSU
Intel Core i7-12700K
ASUS ROG STRIX B660-I (LGA 1700, mITX, DDR5)

DDR5 16GB memory
M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

I turn on the PSU
Ok, so it's not that common gotcha.

What is the connection chain between PSU and wall outlet?
Try plugging directly into wall.

If power cord can be disassembled, replace fuse.

Borrow another power cord to test. One of our experts dropping by shortly can tell if another appliance power cord can be substituted—eg kettle.

That's all I got—I specialize in not being expert :D

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Ok, so it's not that common gotcha.

What is the connection chain between PSU and wall outlet?
Try plugging directly into wall.

If power cord can be disassembled, replace fuse.

Borrow another power cord to test. One of our experts dropping by shortly can tell if another appliance power cord can be substituted—eg kettle.

That's all I got—I specialize in not being expert :D
Thanks!

I have tried to connect the PSU directly to the wall outlet without the case. I even checked the voltage on both ends of the power cords, and everything seemed normal.

Just to clarify/details;
The buzz sound comes from the motherboard as soon as I turn on the PSU, but barely audible (“like you can hear some electricity to the board”). It continues until I turn off the PSU again. The power switch or any other buttons on the case doesn’t work.

the fan on the PSU doesn’t spin either..

Hi :)

Have you tried to clear CMOS?

Tried a different wall outlet entirely?

Triple checked all the cables and reseated the GPU and CPU cooler? Blow out the PCI-E slot with some air while youre at it.

Kettle lead is a kettle lead, so theyre all interchangeable far as I know.

Thats about all I've got unless you start changing out hardware I'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts