Not getting good performance in new gaming laptop (ACER Aspire A515-57G)

Jul 19, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, this is my first post and off the gate I really dont know much about PC gaming. I recently bought the ACER Aspire a515-57G laptop. The exact specifications are as follows :

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eZYPGVWbSAZqSxcRu5f0Eb3 (this is a speccy link that I generated so you can view the exact configuration);

Nvidia RTX 2050
Intel i5-1240P @ 1.7 GHz
16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD. (please ask for more info if you need it).
Initially, Windows 11, but I have downgraded to windows 10 to see if that helps, it hasn't.

I know this is not a top tier gaming PC by any metric, but it is a decent enough laptop that fits my budget. I really like to play Rainbow 6 Siege (the problem exists with other games too, but I can play them at 50-70 fps just fine as they are not multiplayer) and I get around 50-70 fps on it no matter what the graphical settings are, which is really puzzling, I don't understand why. The GPU and CPU utilization both hover around the 30-50% range. The fixes I have tried so far (obviously none have worked, else I wouldnt be here) :

• Updating all the drivers and windows.
  • Setting the laptop in high performance mode. Battery plugged in.
  • Ensuring the laptop uses the dedicated GPU instead of the inbuilt one.
  • Tweaking the ingame resolution.
  • Disabling background applications.
I dont really know what to do. ACER support has been less than useless. Id appreciate any help. Thanks.

You sure you are not capping the FPS to your monitors refreshrate? Ie V-sync? From what i can see the monitor is 60hz so anything above 60fps can give you less to horrible screentearing unless v-sync is turned on in which case it locks FPS to 60. Only thing i can think of right now.

Jul 19, 2023
Visit site
You sure you are not capping the FPS to your monitors refreshrate? Ie V-sync? From what i can see the monitor is 60hz so anything above 60fps can give you less to horrible screentearing unless v-sync is turned on in which case it locks FPS to 60. Only thing i can think of right now.
No, the vsync option is turned off via the ingame settings. Is there another way to do it? Thanks for your help anyway

TRENDING THREADS