Most time spent in a game uncompleted.

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
@Frindis Sounds like you completed Diablo 3 to me. I'm guessing everyone who says they completed The Witcher 3's main quest for example probably hasn't cleared out every single question mark on the map?

@Oussebon I really enjoyed my time in Skyrim. I started off the game not fast travelling, just walking out into the wilderness to wherever I hadnt been before. At some point I'd maxed levels on everything I was interested in, made all the best weapons and armor and nothing in the world was a threat. I wonder then at that point what kept you playing, for like 650 hours more? Genuinely curious, because I know you're not the only one :)

Looking back over everyone's answers so far it seems this was a slightly confusing question to some. Perhaps having something to do with my age (38) I've always had a clear idea about when a game is 'completed'.

To me in simplest terms, If I saw the credits, if I have an achievement that says finished the game on normal/hard/whatever, If I killed the main boss, I've completed it. DLC's, side missions are extras. In a 4X game it means I've won a campaign with at least one faction usually on normal difficulty or higher. None of this means to say that I'm finished with the game though!

Its highlighted to myself that maybe I'm a strange kind of gamer. I play almost exclusively single player games across almost all genres. I very rarely play through a game more than once. More often than not I'm slightly bored of what I'm currently playing by late game, and if its possible to beeline to the end I often will. I also mostly have no qualms dropping a game if it isn't fun and leaving it half finished.

There's a lot more I could say, but I'll try not to ramble on (more). Its been interesting so far. Thanks!

Reactions: Pifanjr and Frindis
@Frindis It does get complicated and I dont deny it. Still I just always figured everyone had a similar idea of what completed meant. Almost every game with a single player campaign has an achievement that says 'Finished game on Insert Difficulty'. And I havent tried to conflate completed with finished, or done with, or platinumed or whatever. I guess then I'm still following my own weird semantic rules then anyway, maybe that's what's confusing to people.

@Hveðrungr At least I'm not gonna get O.K boomered by everyone.

Reactions: Hveðrungr
Its highlighted to myself that maybe I'm a strange kind of gamer. I play almost exclusively single player games across almost all genres. I very rarely play through a game more than once. More often than not I'm slightly bored of what I'm currently playing by late game, and if its possible to beeline to the end I often will. I also mostly have no qualms dropping a game if it isn't fun and leaving it half finished.

I've never considered myself a strange type of gamer, but I do pretty much the same thing.

@Oussebon I really enjoyed my time in Skyrim. I started off the game not fast travelling, just walking out into the wilderness to wherever I hadnt been before. At some point I'd maxed levels on everything I was interested in, made all the best weapons and armor and nothing in the world was a threat. I wonder then at that point what kept you playing, for like 650 hours more? Genuinely curious, because I know you're not the only one
Starting new characters with new play styles or to test new combinations of mods, and to play through new content brought by mods. Before getting around to really finishing the (extended, via DLC) story of my 'main' Dragonborn.

Partly I wanted to get mods, especially graphical ones, sorted before resuming my main.

I also got a bit engrossed into the stories that not entirely serious characters I'd made ended up having. Also new toons feel more threat from the world.

Plus just wandering a beautiful landscape.

Excluding MMOs and other online only games that cannot be completed, my most played game on Steam that I havent yet fully completed is Skyrim. 130 hours on PC, and probably 100 hours on Xbox 360.

@Oussebon I really enjoyed my time in Skyrim. I started off the game not fast travelling, just walking out into the wilderness to wherever I hadnt been before. At some point I'd maxed levels on everything I was interested in, made all the best weapons and armor and nothing in the world was a threat. I wonder then at that point what kept you playing, for like 650 hours more? Genuinely curious, because I know you're not the only one :)

I recommend installing mods that make the combat challenging, and a loot mod so that you get more realistic loot in places so that you dont find powerful weapons in random places.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
@Pifanjr There's a possibility that we are a (mostly) silent majority.

@Zloth Better a Starbuck or a Boomer than a Baltar I suppose

@Oussebon I should have known mods would be involved. I also had initially that sense of awe, it was a beautiful world in a way that somehow other open world games haven't felt to me. I am again a little jealous that one game could hold that much interest for someone. The shine just tends to wear off those things more quickly for me unfortunately.

@Dan I totally understand how people can go through Skyrim without finishing the main quest. I'm not sure I'll go back to Skyrim myself though TBH its had its time for me. I'll consider going back and modding it when they do a final release of Skywind.

@Dan I totally understand how people can go through Skyrim without finishing the main quest. I'm not sure I'll go back to Skyrim myself though TBH its had its time for me. I'll consider going back and modding it when they do a final release of Skywind.

I've completed the main quest on Xbox, but have yet to complete it on PC. I'm playing a very modded version of it that does not allow fast travel, no compass UI, no waypoints (but I do have a mod that gives better descriptions of where to go in quest logs, akin to Morrowind), cannot see yourself on the map, cannot see NPCs names until you talk to them for the first time, hardcore combat etc - so 100 hours has been spent doing a lot of walking and site seeing, and side quests.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Gems of War count? 200h and didn't finish it - altho not sure what the "end" would mean there, but I assume conquering all the lands? Not sure how much I had, but probably more than 50%.

Similarly with almost 190h in Mount & Blade: Warband, I never managed to get my own kingdom if we consider it as main goal.

Other games I put 100+h I either finished at least once or they're open world/sandboxes.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
@Frindis Sounds like you completed Diablo 3 to me. I'm guessing everyone who says they completed The Witcher 3's main quest for example probably hasn't cleared out every single question mark on the map?

@Oussebon
Looking back over everyone's answers so far it seems this was a slightly confusing question to some. Perhaps having something to do with my age (38) I've always had a clear idea about when a game is 'completed'.

I have been one of the most sceptical of the idea that a game can be clearly defined as "completed" and I'm basically the same age as you. I think it's probably more about what you said later about you being strange.

I think it's very personal as to when a game is completed. Also, I'm wondering if it really matters. I mean, some people enjoy playing a game until they've literally done everything you can do in the game before it feels completed to them. Others rush down the main story and consider it to be done and over with. I think they're both fine, and I guess there are even some people who want to play the same game over and over again while others are done with it before they finish the main story. I think that's all fine and all can be considered "finished" or "unfinished". I feel like you can consider a game as complete when you actually feel like you're done with it.

Also, I went through my library and the most hours I have in a game uncompleted atm (actually uncompleted) is Dragon Age: Origins with 40 hours.

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
I think it's very personal as to when a game is completed. Also, I'm wondering if it really matters. I mean, some people enjoy playing a game until they've literally done everything you can do in the game before it feels completed to them. Others rush down the main story and consider it to be done and over with. I think they're both fine, and I guess there are even some people who want to play the same game over and over again while others are done with it before they finish the main story. I think that's all fine and all can be considered "finished" or "unfinished". I feel like you can consider a game as complete when you actually feel like you're done with it.

Also, I went through my library and the most hours I have in a game uncompleted atm (actually uncompleted) is Dragon Age: Origins with 40 hours.
I have a few static Steam Library categories. One ix "Finished" and the other is "Completed". I agree with both of you (and the others who commented similarly) that what constitutes finished or completed is very subjective and difficult to nail down. Games go to "Finished" if I've triggered some sort of end game event and have done anything I want to in the game and don't plan on ever playing it again. "Completed" games are just a category I throw games in that I'm very satisfied with how far I've explored them but are still worth playing or may have more to offer.

Oh, I also have a Purgatory category. That's where games go to die. Either they've been abandoned by their owners and don't work anymore, I hate them, they totally suck, or are broken beyond my patience or care. Purgatory has a sibling category called "Windows Borked" for the few Windows games that just don't work on Linux at all. They're essentially in purgatory too, but they have a chance for redemption.

TRENDING THREADS