Question Low FPS and low GPU usage help??

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
My boyfriend used to play games with no problem and ever since we moved he's had massive FPS drops. We went to Best Buy and they ran diagnostics for a pricy amount (even when we already tried at home) and they said hardware was completely fine?? Then told us to remove some software like Razer to improve FPS. That didn't help. Windows has been completely reinstalled. We tried to go back to the RAM the PC came with, but the monitor wouldn't turn on after so he put the 4 sticks (32GB) back in and it booted up fine. Nothing else is different from the build he bought besides the RAM.

The parts are an Intel i7-8700k cpu 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), Geforce rtx 2080. He has run games on ultra graphics before with no problem, but now he has to lower the graphics and still has issues.

ever since we moved he's had massive FPS drops … Nothing else is different from the build he bought besides the RAM
To be sure it's not the RAM, run with just 2 sticks, then change to the other 2 sticks.

Is he playing mainly multi-player or single-player games?

Your new location is the second obvious candidate, dodgy internet or dodgy electricity being my first thoughts.

I assume you've checked the video cables didn't get damaged in the move and are properly seated. Are they still in the same ports? It can make a difference…
Drivers and Windows updated after the Windows reinstall?

Have a look in Task Manager to see if anything else is running heavy load, especially on the GPU.

Apr 15, 2021
Visit site
To be sure it's not the RAM, run with just 2 sticks, then change to the other 2 sticks.

Is he playing mainly multi-player or single-player games?

Your new location is the second obvious candidate, dodgy internet or dodgy electricity being my first thoughts.

I assume you've checked the video cables didn't get damaged in the move and are properly seated. Are they still in the same ports? It can make a difference…
Drivers and Windows updated after the Windows reinstall?

Have a look in Task Manager to see if anything else is running heavy load, especially on the GPU.
We've tried running with two sticks of RAM, but the monitor won't turn on. No matter what slots they're in. He tried different slots, but it only turns on the monitor when 4 RAM are seated.

Mainly multiplayer games.

We upgraded our internet and it runs just perfectly fine on my personal PC. Barely any issues for me.

All drivers and Windows updates are updated. The video cables aren't damaged and are in the same ports.

Nothing besides the game runs a significant amount in task manager.

Reactions: Brian Boru
We tried to go back to the RAM the PC came with, but the monitor wouldn't turn on after
We've tried running with two sticks of RAM, but the monitor won't turn on
That is weird, I can't recall ever hearing of that happen. What make/model is the monitor?

I'm out of suggestions, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chip in :)

TRENDING THREADS